Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. All those waiting will snap them up with glee. It wouldn't last forever.
What I mean is, the rich people will keep their membership, but stop going to games if the Eagles are crap. (Unlike my mate, sorry for the confusion).

The wait for memberships has been going on for years, and that didn't stop poor attendances in the early 2000s.

Biggest AFL Clubs Currently (Do change every couple of years or so)

1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond *
4. Collingwood *
5. Essendon *
6. Carlton *
7. Sydney

8. Hawthorn
9. Brisbane
10. Melbourne
11. Geelong
12. Fremantle
13. Port Adelaide

14. St kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast
* Change depending on form.

Its not that easy to quantify, older vic supporters aren't often as interested in going to games against interstate sides and games are often televised,

Televised you say?
Sounds like an interesting concept.

We've been waiting for a while now to get our hands on theae fandangled moving picture boxes out west to watch our team. Can't wait!!

Biggest AFL Clubs Currently (Do change every couple of years or so)

1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond *
4. Collingwood *
5. Essendon *
6. Carlton *
7. Sydney
8. Hawthorn

9. Brisbane
10. Melbourne
11. Geelong
12. Fremantle
13. Port Adelaide
14. St kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast
* Change depending on form.

I understand your point, but I'm not basing my opinion on form. Collingwood and Carlton are the two most famous clubs from Vic but no where near Crows and Eagles. Hawks and Cats are bigger than Swans Australia wide including Vic.

Perth is now a 2 team town. Adelaide is the same. One sided crowd experience once a fortnight. That’s a huge sacrifice and for that we are grateful.

By "now" you mean the last 34 years? That's a chunk of time to be referred to as now. And there would be just as many people at the footy "now" as there was before WC came in. We haven't lost anything at all. Most teams play away every 2 weeks, that's hardly a big deal.

By "now" you mean the last 34 years? That's a chunk of time to be referred to as now. And there would be just as many people at the footy "now" as there was before WC came in. We haven't lost anything at all. Most teams play away every 2 weeks, that's hardly a big deal.

Richmond will have 17 games in Melbourne in 2019. 12 of them will be “derbies” in Perth talk.
Your football experience is nearer to English soccer experience than “ going to the football”.

But if it’s all you know it’s all you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast just announced they made an operating profit of $11.4 million.

Seriously, nobody is close to these guys.

That's what happens when a big side wins a flag. They got a chunk of change from me for the premiership jersey and will get another slice when they get around to releasing the GF replay with commentary DVD.

That's what happens when a big side wins a flag. They got a chunk of change from me for the premiership jersey and will get another slice when they get around to releasing the GF replay with commentary DVD.

Reckon the new Stadium and the extra memberships/extra cost of memberships and corporate hospitality opportunities might have helped too.

I reckon premiership profits get split between the two years - think about the amount of people that would have got premiers merch over Christmas - this stuff only gets included in the 2019 figures. Then there’s membership, although it could be argued that is always a product of the year before.

West Coast just announced they made an operating profit of $11.4 million.

Seriously, nobody is close to these guys.
The normal operating surplus according to The West this morning is around $5.5m from memory. So a nice little premiership bump, and no doubt the stadium move helped too.
The club gets to keep $7.5m of that $11.4m with the difference being paid to the WAFC as a royalty.

So a stable capacity membership with a large waiting list means West Coast fans are fair weather supporters based on the anecdotal evidence of someone you knew 20 odd years ago. That's Bigfooty level analysis right there. Should get into politics.

What I mean is, the rich people will keep their membership, but stop going to games if the Eagles are crap. (Unlike my mate, sorry for the confusion).

The wait for memberships has been going on for years, and that didn't stop poor attendances in the early 2000s.
There wasn't a big waiting list in the early 2000s - it started growing around 05/06.
I went on the waiting list in 2004, I got my membership in 2005.

But yes, attendance will drop if they are down towards the bottom of the ladder as with all teams - but Eagles members still rock up against smaller teams, like GWS and GC - where as many Victorian club supporters don't bother going to those games at all, even when their club is going well.

Reckon the new Stadium and the extra memberships/extra cost of memberships and corporate hospitality opportunities might have helped too.
Last year also lined up with jumper / logo change & new colours (ditching navy). A lot of eagles fans would have been updating their merch before we got anywhere near the premiership.

WCE are pretty much the most profitable club every year - but with a new stadium, new logo/colours - and then a premiership, I can't see how the Eagles can top that.

WCE are pretty much the most profitable club every year - but with a new stadium, new logo/colours - and then a premiership, I can't see how the Eagles can top that.
Just waiting on that stadium upgrade ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back