Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree you need to look a little further against the Saints we had around 40 to 45k there Melbourne the same against the roos 40,000 were Blues, the snore fest v the Tiges 45k were Blues. We are bottom 3 side my point is when they were bottom for one year in their whole existence they were getting 25 to 30k at Subi.

There was a bit of a feeling about the Blues this year, particularly when you jettisoned the midget coach. I agree with greatwhiteshark that once the Blues start getting their s**t together which it appears like they are doing, they'll be back to their obnoxious, brash, arrogant best.

We are but not bigger than the Eagles.

It doesn't really matter, all clubs have their place in the league and some are bigger than others. The blues becoming a power again will be great for the league just as it's been great for the league the Tigers have become a power in the comp again.
Who is bigger really is a dick measuring contest.

It doesn't really matter, all clubs have their place in the league and some are bigger than others. The blues becoming a power again will be great for the league just as it's been great for the league the Tigers have become a power in the comp again.
Who is bigger really is a dick measuring contest.
True it matters on the field and we have a better win loss record since 1897 and 5 premierships in my lifetime.

How to be a big player in the top 4 chatter & its done well before the trading begins:

The Eagles paid a heavy price to secure Kelly’s services from Geelong, giving up the first three picks in next month’s AFL draft, as well as a first-round selection next year.

It’s a deal that couldn’t have been done without Kelly’s new teammates taking pay cuts to fit him into a salary cap of around $13 million.

We’ve planned for this over a period of time. We’ve got to a position where we were able to acquire someone like Tim through sacrifice from others. And that’s a really good thing to have in your footy club,” Vozzo told Trade Radio.

How to be a big player in the top 4 chatter & its done well before the trading begins:

The Eagles paid a heavy price to secure Kelly’s services from Geelong, giving up the first three picks in next month’s AFL draft, as well as a first-round selection next year.

It’s a deal that couldn’t have been done without Kelly’s new teammates taking pay cuts to fit him into a salary cap of around $13 million.

We’ve planned for this over a period of time. We’ve got to a position where we were able to acquire someone like Tim through sacrifice from others. And that’s a really good thing to have in your footy club,” Vozzo told Trade Radio.

Players know when they're going to a big club with flag potential, others at the club will likely play for massive unders for the success these players bring.
Sometimes they get a flag in their first year Hi Lynchy, sometimes they mistake the team they're going to as being a big club with potential, Hi Treloar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Eagles since moving to the new stadium average 53k per game and it matters not who we play. We turn up against all clubs, not just for the big so called blockbuster games.

Yup, and imagine the crowd they could pull for say a WC vs {Insert vic club with big crowd numbers} in Perth if the other team's fans didn't have to travel interstate to get there. its easy for Pies vs Richmond to get a big crowd when they are both playing at each clubs home ground, but what WC does with really only one team's fans turning up is huge.

WC are very clearly the most successful AFL club when you weigh up all the relevant factors, and it really isn't even close right now.

It depends on how you define 'biggest club(s)

Supporter base? Success? A mixture?

If supporter based Collingwood and Richmond by a mile.

If success based, all time it's Collingwood Carlton Essendon, but AFL era West Coast and Hawthorn and potential Geelong make a case

In the VFL era it's Collingwood and Carlton, closely followed by Essendon and Richmond.

In the AFL era ALONE, west coast, Collingwood and Richmond are probably the big 3. Hawthorn, Essendon, carlton and Geelong are a rung down.

All time Collingwood and Carlton sit atop due to their success and supporters. Essendon are very close and Richmond not too far off.

West Coast are coming up fast though.

It really depends on the criteria to determine the big 4.

West Coast don't have the luxury of away support. You had 6 games home games against Victorian Opposition (including the annual round 1 snorefest and Collingwood) where you can bank on between 10,000 and 35,000 in away support, 2 games against the 2 relocated former Melbourne clubs (Brisbane and Sydney) who draw well in Melbourne, then 2 games against the 2 biggest "interstate" clubs in West Coast and Adelaide. The only dud fixture you had was Gold Coast.

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper than the headline figure.

You can cut it any way you want, the fact is any other club in the position Carlton has been for the last 5 seasons would not average close to 50,000 people per home game despite only winning 1 to the half way point of the season. If port were allowed to bottom out by the AFL they would be trying to spin a positive social media story around the club making the biggest tarp in history.

There are many factors as you said, including many which you wont mention and is wont support your argument. That's why I like to look at the important ones. Average attendance and position on the ladder.

It depends on how you define 'biggest club(s)

Supporter base? Success? A mixture?

If supporter based Collingwood and Richmond by a mile.

If success based, all time it's Collingwood Carlton Essendon, but AFL era West Coast and Hawthorn and potential Geelong make a case

In the VFL era it's Collingwood and Carlton, closely followed by Essendon and Richmond.

In the AFL era ALONE, west coast, Collingwood and Richmond are probably the big 3. Hawthorn, Essendon, carlton and Geelong are a rung down.

All time Collingwood and Carlton sit atop due to their success and supporters. Essendon are very close and Richmond not too far off.

West Coast are coming up fast though.

It really depends on the criteria to determine the big 4.

why do you think Collingwood and a Richmond would have a bigger supporter base than West Coast? How do you define supporter base?
West Coast would have possibly 400k genuine supporters just in WA. And that’s not even a quarter of the states population.
west Coast always seem to get a genuine base of fans no matter where they play. If their not fans they seem bloody loud for a handful of them.

That's pretty stupid. The VFL wouldn't survive if it didn't go national. So it needed clubs like west coast to become a national comp. The whole reason the AFL is so strong is because if it's reach.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hehe ^^^^^ this guy....oh well, I guess we'll just have to be satisfied with winning premierships.
Richmond win 2 premierships in 3 years and they think they're worldbeaters and one dare not think that Richmond are not the best🙄 What about all those years when Richmond had a stranglehold on 9th position. A bit of a reality check is required here I would think.

When one takes into consideration success, Finances, crowds etc I would say Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong in no particular order. Also here in Perth know there are big supporter bases for Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and North Melbourne - North Melbourne FC even tried to apply to have some home games played here in the West some years back against the WA sides but the AFL squashed that on the head.

Richmond win 2 premierships in 3 years and they think they're worldbeaters and one dare not think that Richmond are not the best🙄 What about all those years when Richmond had a stranglehold on 9th position. A bit of a reality check is required here I would think.

When one takes into consideration success, Finances, crowds etc I would say Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong in no particular order. Also here in Perth know there are big supporter bases for Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and North Melbourne - North Melbourne FC even tried to apply to have some home games played here in the West some years back against the WA sides but the AFL squashed that on the head.
Nuh.
Tiges are the biggest AND the best.
images (1).jpeg
Deal with it.
Cheers.

I don’t need too prove anything

Membership and crowds is my proof, you want to flash your balance sheet lol
You need to improve your reading ability as the thread included finances as well I think and also success. Yes Richmond certainly win the crowds and membership but would think Collingwood may still pip you over the years of the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back