Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time I had no idea that Richmond were a so called powerhouse club. Literally the whole time I followed the VFL/AFL when the Eagles came in, until 2017, Richmond were a lovable basketcase. The butt of mirthful jokes. An easy win when you checked the fixtures. Quite seriously, for over 30 years, I never once considered them a big club, because for that whole time, they weren't.
Anyways, the times move on, and they've done well in recent times. Good for them.

That was a nice story

West Coast is potentially the biggest club in the comp, Freo gets those that dont want to support West Coast, the predictions are that WA will become the third largest population centre so WCE should stay well ahead of Adelaide FC in size particularly with the new stadium that can be expanded easily to.70k.

The fact that the Crows use tricks to make themselves look bigger, while WCE have a massive waiting list tells the true story. WCE definitely top 4, Adelaide may scrape into top 6 until Carlton eventually rebound then will probably sit around 7th biggest.
  1. The Crows dont really use tricks. They know the free digital memberships wont pass muster after the AFL audit.
Like WC you cant actually buy a reserved seat membership if you want. You have to wait for one to become available.

For the longest time I had no idea that Richmond were a so called powerhouse club. Literally the whole time I followed the VFL/AFL when the Eagles came in, until 2017, Richmond were a lovable basketcase. The butt of mirthful jokes. An easy win when you checked the fixtures. Quite seriously, for over 30 years, I never once considered them a big club, because for that whole time, they weren't.
Anyways, the times move on, and they've done well in recent times. Good for them.
Benny gale has worked wonders since he took over Richmond, I think Carlton has potential to be a power house again also.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The answer is Richmond ,Collingwood ,West Coast and Adelaide. Sydney count supporters that don't know much about the game and just say Sydney because they live there. Richmond has over 100,000 members now, first club in the history of the game to do that and we have hardcore supporters.

Who really cares? This ain’t the Premier League. All clubs are competing in the same league for the same prize. There’s an awful lot of discussion on the clock about club success off the field, particularly with finances and supporters but it really doesn’t matter. I personally care about on-field success, and I’ll leave the off-field stuff to the experts. Hawthorn aren’t Australia’s “biggest” club but do you reckon they would trade 4 flags in 10 years for crowd records and first place on the money charts?

I hope that someday I have enough free time to care about the financial state of my club.

Who really cares? This ain’t the Premier League. All clubs are competing in the same league for the same prize. There’s an awful lot of discussion on the clock about club success off the field, particularly with finances and supporters but it really doesn’t matter. I personally care about on-field success, and I’ll leave the off-field stuff to the experts. Hawthorn aren’t Australia’s “biggest” club but do you reckon they would trade 4 flags in 10 years for crowd records and first place on the money charts?

I hope that someday I have enough free time to care about the financial state of my club.
I assume you're too young and didn't experience the 90's when Collingwood were boarder line bankrupt? I couldn't give a s**t about match attendance or membership numbers but I do care if my clubs is financially successful, I'd never want to see the day Hawthorn would be at risk of folding.

I assume you're too young and didn't experience the 90's when Collingwood were boarder line bankrupt? I couldn't give a s**t about match attendance or membership numbers but I do care if my clubs is financially successful, I'd never want to see the day Hawthorn would be at risk of folding.

I was, but that was a while ago. Most AFL clubs are financial powerhouses now, and all are stable enough to be profitable.

Clubs in order from most supporter in Australia to least!!!

1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Essendon
5. Richmond (sorry Richmond but we are not including cats and dogs members)
6. Carlton (they are the sleeping giant like Richmond were for 37 years of crap)
7. Hawthorn
8. Sydney
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle
11. Port Adelaide
12. Brisbane
13. Melbourne
14. St.kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Essendon
6. Carlton (they are the sleeping giant like Richmond were for 37 years of crap)
7. Hawthorn
8. Sydney
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle
11. Port Adelaide
12. Brisbane
13. Melbourne
14. St.kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast

1-5 are the giants of the afl

6-8 have the potential to join the giants with sustained success

9-11 are the mid size clubs

12-16 are the smaller clubs who draw 30,000 fans when winning ( except north you can max draw 25,000) but when losing they become financially in trouble

17-18 why are these clubs in the competition. They draw smaller crowds then Fitzroy when they were in the competition. Relocate one team to Perth and the other team to Tasmania

Hawthorn, Richmond, Crows, West Coast.

Could make an argument for essendon.. Before, you know. The drugs.

Hawthorn, Richmond, Crows, West Coast.

Could make an argument for essendon.. Before, you know. The drugs.

Hmmm and Collingwood?? A club that have been in 6 gf in the last 20 years and has drawn over 1 million fans during the the home and away season 21 times. Also pies are the biggest afl club on social media 675,000 followers

1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Essendon
7. Hawthorn
8. Sydney
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle
11. Port Adelaide
12. Brisbane
13. Melbourne
14. St.kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast
seems pretty close to spot on

Right now in terms of size, status, money and success...

Collingwood, West Coast, Hawthorn, Richmond.

Adelaide and Essendon next with Geelong.

Carlton the sleeping giant with chronic back pain.

Sydney the hardest to gauge due to their unique position in the league.

Then Freo...then ‘the rest’.

1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Essendon
7. Hawthorn
8. Sydney
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle
11. Port Adelaide
12. Brisbane
13. Melbourne
14. St.kilda
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast
Cats and Dogs lol we had the most through the gates 3 of last 4 years and strangely they dont allow Cats and Dogs in, a membership is MIN $50 and must be human, many Collingwood supporters fail the last requirement and can't afford the first.

Collingwood were fifth for membership this year, sorry Magpies casual couldn't give a s**t supporters, that only claim to support Collingwood because Eddie was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire dont count.

Sydney the hardest to gauge due to their unique position in the league.

Agree. On the question of most supported, a national survey oddly found Sydney to be the most supported AFL Club. I find this spurious as many of the NSW respondents who ticked the Sydney box would probably have first allegiance to other codes.

Much of the Sydney support is just geographical allegiance. It has to be differentiated from barrackers who are invested in their team and give a rats. That said I am amazed we had 70K members last year including a big base in Melbourne.

In away games in Melbourne we close to outnumber fans from oppo clubs like the Saints,Blues and North. Of course we are only allowed 100 admissions at our annual game at the Litter Box.

By the way I do not see Carlton as a sleeping giant. Since John Elliot inadvertently slew his Club in the 90s, the Blues have been in a permanent coma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back