Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you place Essendon a tier below due to 14 years without a finals win.

The incredible thing about EFC is that despite the poor success, the saga and the media bashing, our club has record sponsorship deals without losing any sponsors, 70,000 members, huge revenue, and is the second most supported Vic club in Australia. If the success comes I would think our top-tier status will be undisputed.

I agree and yes I did mostly base this on the years spent somewhat in the wilderness...and the damage to the ‘brand’ for obvious reasons.

You do understand the mcg is more limited in size and we now play at GCS and GWS some of the old attendance records are impossible to break.

This sounds awfully close to admitting you only get big crowds when the away team's supporters come along.

This sounds awfully close to admitting you only get big crowds when the away team's supporters come along.
Actually a comment on crowd averages, if you cop a year playing both those sides away then your average crowd for the year will drop as they are very small grounds, same if you play at Geelong.

Sheedy 1974: 24.22 disposals, 1.48 goals, Judd 2006: 25.87 disposals, 1.26 goals

And seeing that Sheedy played in a era of lower average disposals his season is easily better

You'd think with such a fantastic year he'd pole at least a vote in the Brownlow State League medal wouldn't you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think with such a fantastic year he'd pole at least a vote in the Brownlow State League medal wouldn't you?
The Brownlow is just the umpire's favorite player, and seeing the best player that year Kevin Bartlett who played the greatest season ever by a mid didn't win it shows the lack of value

It's an old nickname, let it go. It's known what it means in terms of its context at the time, the traditional 4 biggest clubs in the traditional home of football state.

If you identify by number of supporters, then states with only 2 teams in a big market obviously have an ease of market share.
If Victoria had two clubs, Richmond and Collingwood, their membership numbers, crowds, revenue, etc. would be stupidly high.
It's not hard to be big in a two team state.
West Coast, Adelaide, Swans and Brisbane should be the 4 biggest clubs in terms of members, stadium capacity attendance (by % only as some stadiums obviously bigger than others), number of identifying supporters, etc. Long term, we may eventually see this, in theory we should see this if these clubs are doing things well.

What also needs to factored in regarding memberships is the ease of purchase now days, never before has it been so easy, so EAD Richmond, you still suck.

Huh? Isn't it easy for all clubs supporters to purchase then? Why do some find it easier than others?

What also needs to factored in regarding memberships is the ease of purchase now days, never before has it been so easy, so EAD Richmond, you still suck.
I thought you were a little envious of Richmond's recent success but this is now turning into obsession. 2.47AM? WTF?

37 AFL/SANFL premierships
Look, I might be one of the people who will back you in the sanfl vs vfl argument

But 98/99 was won by another club which you later merged with.

You have 35 premierships.

I mean if we're talking on performance the top 4 in the last 5-10 years is surely:

Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and West Coast

I think this is set to change very soon though with the first 3 teams I think about to head down to the lower parts of the ladder for a spell for a few years.

New top 4 possibly: Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood, West Coast for the next however many years to come. Adelaide sniffing too I reckon.

It's an old nickname, let it go. It's known what it means in terms of its context at the time, the traditional 4 biggest clubs in the traditional home of football state.

If you identify by number of supporters, then states with only 2 teams in a big market obviously have an ease of market share.
If Victoria had two clubs, Richmond and Collingwood, their membership numbers, crowds, revenue, etc. would be stupidly high.
It's not hard to be big in a two team state.
West Coast, Adelaide, Swans and Brisbane should be the 4 biggest clubs in terms of members, stadium capacity attendance (by % only as some stadiums obviously bigger than others), number of identifying supporters, etc. Long term, we may eventually see this, in theory we should see this if these clubs are doing things well.

Huh? Isn't it easy for all clubs supporters to purchase then? Why do some find it easier than others?

Richmond were the first success starved club to make good in the digital age, first big club anyway, hadn't won a final since 37BC.

Carlton will put up similar numbers when (if) they come good due to their fans being tortured for so long, doesn't mean they're bigger than Collingwood.

For the longest time I had no idea that Richmond were a so called powerhouse club. Literally the whole time I followed the VFL/AFL when the Eagles came in, until 2017, Richmond were a lovable basketcase. The butt of mirthful jokes. An easy win when you checked the fixtures. Quite seriously, for over 30 years, I never once considered them a big club, because for that whole time, they weren't.
Anyways, the times move on, and they've done well in recent times. Good for them.

Spot on.

Ninth Mond spent 37 years in the wilderness being the least successful big Vic club.

Old facilities and infighting at board level.

Then they flicked the switch and won a flagin 2017.

They are up and about shaping the comp ATM but can they sustain that like the true power clubs.

Sheedy 1974: 24.22 disposals, 1.48 goals, Judd 2006: 25.87 disposals, 1.26 goals

And seeing that Sheedy played in a era of lower average disposals his season is easily better

Did he play in an era that had a higher goal average?

Did you see Sheedy play in '74?

The Brownlow is just the umpire's favorite player, and seeing the best player that year Kevin Bartlett who played the greatest season ever by a mid didn't win it shows the lack of value

Or maybe they just weren't that good. And you can't have it both ways. Disposal counts may be down, but goals were way up. Doug Wade kicked 103 goals that year lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back