Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol instagrams followers Richmond are currently on 195.5k followers and Collingwood 195.1k followers yep way in front.

Let’s look at Facebook followers the biggest social media outlet

Collingwood 355,000
Essendon 348,000
Hawthorn 339,000
West Coast 310,000
Adelaide 293,000
Richmond 272,000 ( no way near Collingwood)
Not amongst the next generation it isn’t , anyone under 21 barely uses it. Instagram no1

1/2. Can’t really argue That Collingwood aren’t a powerhouse they are a historically successful club with a huge following and reasonable success in modern times. Big financial powerhouse with the highest revenue of any AFL listed club. Would be clear number one if it wasn’t for west coast. West Coast absolute financial powerhouse we have separated our selfs from the pack into a different league recently combined assets and cashflow of estimated 70 million net. Good crowd averages and a huge pool of supporters to pool from and recent success. Can’t split either going off modern times I’d say eagles but you can’t ignore history with the pies I’ll call it a draw.

3. Richmond third and rising rapidly smashing it numbers wise a lean trot until recently hurts them but.

4. Raffle between Adelaide, Carlton or Essendon

Such a case of projecting

Richmond fans have proven to be massive bandwagoners as shown by their membership numbers over the years.

We finished last and there was sfa difference from wen we came first.

We have been crap for so long but we were always in the top 3-4 of home and away crowds.
I have many mates who used to go pay at the gate but not buy a membership, so what you're thinking isnt entirely correct as being in top 3/4 in attendances shows fans still going to games but converting them was another story. Luckily massive clubs like Richmond and pies and ess too can flick the switch and call upon generations of support.

Just on a side note; Pies in 2009 had about 45K in members, then they play in a few prelims and grand finals and win a premiership between 2009-2012 and their membership tally jumped by 30K to 75K would you call them band wagoners?

By the way a band wagoner isnt someone who shells out money just cause it sounds like a good idea to jump on a successful team, you have to have more than a general support to buy a membership.
Melbourne Storm always successful but i dont go out buying memberships, Melbourne Victory been to a few games they too been successful but i dont go out with my hard earned to buy a membership.

Thats why we will flog you this year. Mcg, etihad or mcg.

You on crack? No one in their right mind except west toast supporters would think that. Its our fortress 22 games straight we won on the G until the pies beat us whos ground it also is. Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G

Because unlike other teams (Richmond im looking at you). We don’t count dogs, cats, budgies, gold fish, Richmond fans who have left this earth 🌏.
Lol Richmond start tin rattling like 1990 when they are crap.

Look at stats that stat that Collingwood have drawn over 1 million people through the home and away season in 1995, 1997, 1998 (finished 14th), 2000 (second last), 2001, 2005 (finished second last) 2014, 2015,2017. That is 9 times out of 21 that the Collingwood FC have drawn over 1 million people during the home and away season and did not make finals

But you do count all pets and every other insect you can think of as your membership grew by 30K after u played in a few prelims and GF's between 2009-2012 ohh your brain span couldn't think that far back lolll
Forget about rattling tins champ (we have 15 million in cash reserves), 100K members to pies 75K, 80 million turnover (4.2 mil profit) to pies 82 mil (112,000 profit) bahahahaha

Lmao all those 1 million + crowds u speak of well done and u have been pretty successful for most part (ie; playing finals and GF's) in the 90's and 2000's but if you're trying to compare that to Richmonds last 3 darkest decades (bar recent success thats a terrible comparison) seriously showing urself as being a Richmond hater and not looking at things as equal.

Equal for me was going to the prelim and outnumbering you guys 60-40 thats not even something that can be debated you had to be there to see it was heavily yellow and black even pies fans at the ground agreed.

Rich v GWS (95K) and even though urs was a semi it was your first final at the G in 5 years and you got an ok 72,504 crowd (had we played gws again think upwards of 90K again. we dont do 70K

Rich is the only club in the VFL/AFL to achieve 4 or more times in finals 90K+ crowds in succession TWICE, currently we are on 7 straight. Only time pies did that was in 2010 you needed a drawn grand final to get you to that figure of 4 90K crowds in succession.

Last edited:
Carlton and Essendon have always been more popular than Richmond.

lmao! has Carlton ever been mentioned as the biggest NO
In the mid 70's and and early 80's it was Richmond, Ess in the 90's and pies early 2000's and now tiges again.
Did you go to the 2013 EF by any chance? that was like a 65K to 30K split, as Mick said "we felt like we were the away team". It was a pro Richmond crowd.
100K members to what 50K and tigers topping 3 of the last 4 attendances, when have blues done that when riding high up the ladder?
When you sell out a stadium against a team like GWS or top 100K in members come and talk then. I have many blues mates and they All say Richmond are bigger.

But you do count all pets and every other insect you can think of as your membership grew by 30K after u played in a few prelims and GF's between 2009-2012 ohh your brain span couldn't think that far back lolll
Forget about rattling tins champ (we have 15 million in cash reserves), 100K members to pies 75K, 80 million turnover (4.2 mil profit) to pies 82 mil (112,000 profit) bahahahaha

Lmao all those 1 million + crowds u speak of well done and u have been pretty successful for most part (ie; playing finals and GF's) in the 90's and 2000's but if you're trying to compare that to Richmonds last 3 darkest decades (bar recent success thats a terrible comparison) seriously showing urself as being a Richmond hater and not looking at things as equal.

Equal for me was going to the prelim and outnumbering you guys 60-40 thats not even something that can be debated you had to be there to see it was heavily yellow and black even pies fans at the ground agreed.

Rich v GWS (95K) and even though urs was a semi it was your first final at the G in 5 years and you got an ok 72,504 crowd (had we played gws again think upwards of 90K again. we dont do 70K

Rich is the only club in the VFL/AFL to achieve 4 or more times in finals 90K+ crowds in succession TWICE, currently we are on 7 straight. Only time pies did that was in 2010 you needed a drawn grand final to get you to that figure of 4 90K crowds in succession.

You talk so much crap....Collingwood top 5 biggest home and away crowds of all time and the only club to draw over 1.2 million people through the gates including a record 1.3 million. As soon and Richmond can do that then speak to me minnow.

Collingwood also hold the top 6 biggest home and away biggest crowds of all time and 16 of the top 20!!

Oh also Collingwood 9.2 million more in attendance’s then Richmond ain’t even close.

Prelim final in 2017 yes good to see Richmond having 40,000 sympathy fans turn out.

Collingwood 21 times over 1 million to Richmond only 5 times

Oh and talking about profit Eddie even said the club ain’t interested in making big profits as all the money we make 82 million is spent of the footy department to make us the biggest and the best. Collingwood have 32 million in cash assets.

Oh and if Richmond actually have 100,000 members when why did only 32,000 turn up v Brisbane in round 6! That is just pathetic really

Even you ceo stated that Richmond have the 5th or 6th biggest supporter base.

Now speak to me as soon as you get 1.3 million though the gates. Oh by the way including finals Collingwood draw more then Richmond.

Richmond are no way near as big as Collingwood or Essendon.

This ain’t about how many members a club has but about who has more supporters and every survey and stat shows that Collingwood are bigger then Richmond.

So Richmond are bandwagoners hey? Glad you agree

Oh and Collingwood were not successful in the 90’s from 1995-2001 Collingwood did not make finals but we drew over 1 million during the home and away season in 1995 (1st in attendance’s in front of Essendon and Richmond who both made finals). In 1997 over 1.1 million had missed the top 8. 1998 over 1 million and finished 14th. 2000 over 1 million finishe 2nd last and 2001 missed finals but again drew over 1 million and drew bigger crowds then Richmond who finished 3rd.

lmao! has Carlton ever been mentioned as the biggest NO
In the mid 70's and and early 80's it was Richmond, Ess in the 90's and pies early 2000's and now tiges again.
Did you go to the 2013 EF by any chance? that was like a 65K to 30K split, as Mick said "we felt like we were the away team". It was a pro Richmond crowd.
100K members to what 50K and tigers topping 3 of the last 4 attendances, when have blues done that when riding high up the ladder?
When you sell out a stadium against a team like GWS or top 100K in members come and talk then. I have many blues mates and they All say Richmond are bigger.
Are you serious when both Richmond and Carlton were both powerhouses in 70's and 80's Carlton were involved in 4 of 5 biggest crowds of all time.

Many Afl commentators and clubs state that Collingwood and Carlton are the most famous, most popular clubs. eg Peter Landy and Lou Richards said Carlton have a bigger following than Richmond in the 1982 Grand Final.

2013 final you have more members more seat allocation does not mean you're supporter base is bigger than Carltons. North Melbourne had 90k against Richmond in 1974 Gf with your logic that makes North bigger than you.
I have allot of Collingwood and Essendon mates and they tell me they meet Collingwood and Carlton fans everywhere and so do I.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Richmond are bandwagoners hey? Glad you agree

Oh and Collingwood were not successful in the 90’s from 1995-2001 Collingwood did not make finals but we drew over 1 million during the home and away season in 1995 (1st in attendance’s in front of Essendon and Richmond who both made finals). In 1997 over 1.1 million had missed the top 8. 1998 over 1 million and finished 14th. 2000 over 1 million finishe 2nd last and 2001 missed finals but again drew over 1 million and drew bigger crowds then Richmond who finished 3rd.
Coll only achieved higher attendances with a rorted draw ea year that guaranteed return fixtures v Carl and ess . What was the excuse last year when you finished higher than Richmond ,,,lol can’t wait to hear this one . Almost as good as the 60,000 v gws in final , 12m after Richmond pulled 95k . This is too easy , you got nothing lol

You on crack? No one in their right mind except west toast supporters would think that. Its our fortress 22 games straight we won on the G until the pies beat us whos ground it also is. Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G

"until the pies beat us"
Hmm ... from memory the Pies actually dropped you lot in the Prelim and on your "home ground" like the arrogant bunch of flogs you are! Another salty Richmond fan - now there's something new.o_O

"Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G"
If you replace the word with "chumps" in your salty sentence with 'Premier' that would be more accurate. And we do look forward to R 23.;) If you recall, we actually 'tore your mob a new one' over here at Optus. The look on Dusty's face when Yeo nailed him in 2 tackles - absolutely priceless. The Dusty 'fend off' - yawn!

You talk so much crap....Collingwood top 5 biggest home and away crowds of all time and the only club to draw over 1.2 million people through the gates including a record 1.3 million. As soon and Richmond can do that then speak to me minnow.

Collingwood also hold the top 6 biggest home and away biggest crowds of all time and 16 of the top 20!!

Oh also Collingwood 9.2 million more in attendance’s then Richmond ain’t even close.

Prelim final in 2017 yes good to see Richmond having 40,000 sympathy fans turn out.

Collingwood 21 times over 1 million to Richmond only 5 times

Oh and talking about profit Eddie even said the club ain’t interested in making big profits as all the money we make 82 million is spent of the footy department to make us the biggest and the best. Collingwood have 32 million in cash assets.

Oh and if Richmond actually have 100,000 members when why did only 32,000 turn up v Brisbane in round 6! That is just pathetic really

Even you ceo stated that Richmond have the 5th or 6th biggest supporter base.

Now speak to me as soon as you get 1.3 million though the gates. Oh by the way including finals Collingwood draw more then Richmond.

Richmond are no way near as big as Collingwood or Essendon.

This ain’t about how many members a club has but about who has more supporters and every survey and stat shows that Collingwood are bigger then Richmond.
Bs says one thing facts say another , if your boloney had a shred of truth ess or Coll would have achieved record 100,000 members years ago , now both clubs are hellbent on catching up with Coll half price memberships and ess show bag of giveaway , yet they are still 10s of thousands languishing behind Richmond’s memberships roll and attendances , why is it so . And don’t come at me with * years when Coll had a favoured draw with return fixtures ea year v Carl and ess , show me the last 2 when it was abandoned lol , too easy

Could you get a poll where each voter could so elect four only?

Predicting 95% would have west coast and Collingwood. The next two, if we are sticking to an arbitrary big four traditionally would have Carlton essendon and richmond, but in recent times any of Adelaide Geelong Hawthorn Sydney would have a claim because they are, with West Coast, the most successful AFL clubs

It’s all dependent on what era you are talking from. Predicting in the thirties especially but even as late as the sixties that the hawks would surpass any Victorian team by a fair margin going forward would have got you certified. Predicting in the nineties that not just Carlton, but essendon too would have horror periods post 2003 similar derision.

Last edited:
"until the pies beat us"
Hmm ... from memory the Pies actually dropped you lot in the Prelim and on your "home ground" like the arrogant bunch of flogs you are! Another salty Richmond fan - now there's something new.o_O

"Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G"
If you replace the word with "chumps" in your salty sentence with 'Premier' that would be more accurate. And we do look forward to R 23.;) If you recall, we actually 'tore your mob a new one' over here at Optus. The look on Dusty's face when Yeo nailed him in 2 tackles - absolutely priceless. The Dusty 'fend off' - yawn!
Premierships aren’t won at Optus sunny Jim , looking forward to hosting you at mcg without the bs umpiring that was laughable last time we played , like triple the number of free kicks.

Could you get a poll where each voter could so elect four only?

Predicting 95% would have west coast and Collingwood. The next two, if we are sticking to an arbitrary big four traditionally would have Carlton essendon and richmond, but in recent times any of Adelaide Geelong Hawthorn Sydney would have a claim because they are, with West Coast, the most successful AFL clubs

Richmond supporters cling to the Old Big 4 definition way more than any of the other 3 supporter groups. I could sort of understand it when they desperately tried to stay relevant, but after they actually won an AFL flag i assumed they wouldn't feel so insecure......it seems I was wrong.

Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall, no one takes u seriously on BF, surveys bahahahaha only the deluded would think that come on Sydney with 1.3 mil and lions 900K ill leave it there.
Richmond are bigger than colingwood, we have gone on to another level in support thats the argument at hand. Members and attendances making Richmond No 1
You are not the biggest and the best, laughing hard.

Lolll how desperate are you bringing up a game in pouring rain how pathetic can one be! Oh tiges did finish on top of home and away attendances so pulling out this ransom game to try and suit your argument makes you come across salty.
So what was ur excuse V gws in rd 2 first home game? when u have 75K members.

Im not going into all the semantics of 100K members cause bottom line we have them and you dont even with all ur success after playing in 3 grand finals 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back