Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
2017 AFL & Club Annual Reports

Revenue without Gaming
  • West Coast – $64,013,222
  • Richmond – $57,984,202
  • Adelaide – $54,954,790
  • Collingwood – $54,848,992
  • Essendon – $51,814,111
The Eagles made a $12 million profit in 2017 (the highest in the league) after finishing 7th.
I'm guessing that profit will be even higher for 2018.

Last edited:

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is such an entertaining read.

4. Essendon - This team has not won a final for 15 years and still manages to constantly finish top 3 for attendances and top 5 for memberships. Also have a huge social media reach. Not only this, but they have managed to remain stable while shooting thenselves in the foot twice with the supplements saga and the decision to move to Etihad when they were too big for it - constricting attendances, membership and growth. I’d have no doubt if the Bombers are to become successful once again they will become huge.

Essendon used to have a sea of supporters waving flags in the 1990's, across the whole stadium. I don't know where flag waving has gone.... it used to be very distinctive to AFL crowds but we don't see it anymore.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This is such an entertaining read.

FWIW

1. Collingwood - they might not be the BIGGEST right now but they have the history and longevity . A true powerhouse with national support - continually at or near the top of attendances, membership and social media stats regardless of where they finish, let’s not forget they just came off a 4 year finals drought - unheard of for the Pies. I have no doubt they’ll be back at the top soon.

2. West Coast - an absolute behemoth of WA and the competition, only second to Collingwood on account of their reach nation wide. By far the richest and one of the most successful clubs in the AFL and with the new stadium firmly entrenched in the ‘big 4’ for good.

3. Richmond - they are no doubt the biggest Victorian club in it right now - and they should be after breaking a 37 year drought and backing it up to finish first. That kind of story is unprecedented and mobilised an army of tiger fans like we’ve never seen get behind a club before. Further, winning a premiership in 2018 to say, 2010 cannot be compared - memberships, social media reach are much higher now and hence the Tigers have broke all kinds of records. Only second to the Pies in Vic based on not being able to produce the consistenly high attendances that Collingwood have over the years, though if the Tigers keep it up it can change.

4. Essendon - This team has not won a final for 15 years and still manages to constantly finish top 3 for attendances and top 5 for memberships. Also have a huge social media reach. Not only this, but they have managed to remain stable while shooting thenselves in the foot twice with the supplements saga and the decision to move to Etihad when they were too big for it - constricting attendances, membership and growth. I’d have no doubt if the Bombers are to become successful once again they will become huge.

Great post.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There is only the big 2 in the Afl, Crows and Eagles. The other clubs don’t even come close.

You overestimate the Crows. Whilst they have very good support, most of their existence they were under the SANFL'S control and as such were used by them to siphon funds towards their now bush league. It greatly diminished the Crows ability to become a financial powerhouse. Support wise the Crows would definitely be top third, but in other areas, specifically financially and asset base, they do be lucky to be mid table despite probably top 4 for membership revenue

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon used to have a sea of supporters waving flags in the 1990's, across the whole stadium. I don't know where flag waving has gone.... it used to be very distinctive to AFL crowds but we don't see it anymore.
you could even include Melbourne in the period 1988 to 1991. But stats prove it evens out in the end.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Your whole post doesn't answer what i said, beating the pies (yes u beat them 3 times) doesn't mean you would beat us on the G that is FACT
2017 is not yawn lol it was only 12 months before your win but the point i made hence why i brought it up which you couldn't comprehend is the crows were talking themselves up as they would beat us (like u guys) cause they had beaten other teams on the G plus smashed us at there home, so you know how that story ended when they played us on GF day. Anyway going around circles look forward to seeing your mob RD 23 at the G

We have beat you at the MCG.

I would back us to do it again as our game style and best 22 matches up against the Tigers quite well.

Eagles won every game they played in Vic in 2018. How did your mob go when they travelled?

I just hope we wait another 37 years for the next Richmond flag as their fans have been the worse arrogant winners since I can remember.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
You on crack? No one in their right mind except west toast supporters would think that. Its our fortress 22 games straight we won on the G until the pies beat us whos ground it also is. Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G
It going to be hard maintaining decent levels of banter till round 23

Im stunned that the afl didnt think there would be any interest in this game enough to warrant an earlier date - im actually dying to see hiw well we do against your lot at the g - id imagine there would be a fair bit of interest seeing as most rated your lot as gf favs

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The answer is Richmond ,Collingwood ,West Coast and Adelaide. Sydney count supporters that don't know much about the game and just say Sydney because they live there. Richmond has over 100,000 members now, first club in the history of the game to do that and we have hardcore supporters.

There's merit in the Sydney conversation, the moment Syd aren't contending their member and fan base will drop off like a destroyed banjo diff on the HQ.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
This ain’t the Premier League.

No it isn't, it is the 4th highest attended league on average in a country with little population. Not to mention it has much less games, if the same amount of games were played as the epl, nfl or bundesliguia I'd argue it would be the highest attended. The AFL may not have the profile or money of those leagues but it certainly has the numbers.

So yeah people care

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
They have ten suburban flags, and one national flag.

There are only 5 clubs with less AFL flags than Richmond.
Champ.

Suburban lol, minor detail. It was the most attended, watched an participated league in the land until it's name change.

Funny though................. suburban, like the wafl and sanfl are just "suburban" leagues. Yeah right! Not!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Collingwood are easily the biggest club in the land. Not debatable.

Babow!

It IS debatable. Collingwood is the highest profile club, that is not disputable. Biggest, that is certainly up for debate. Big oh yes they are, big 4? Highly likely! Biggest? Probably not right now, probably have been for the bulk of the history of the game.

Does that make them the biggest? Nah, part of the big 4 - probably.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/...ed-as-australias-most-profitable-sports-club/

Talk that up!

Just type this phrase into google

"Most profitable sports club in Australia"

Enjoy the reading.

lol im not sure what the purpose of your post was, i was replying to a port supporter. Im pretty sure i haven't made one post regarding the financial position or popularity of the eagles you have a whole state to urself pretty much. Don't think anyone is debating that. Seriously have a becks ul feel better 2moro.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We have beat you at the MCG.

I would back us to do it again as our game style and best 22 matches up against the Tigers quite well.

I just hope we wait another 37 years for the next Richmond flag as their fans have been the worse arrogant winners since I can remember.

You can back whatever u like on the G its our cauldron. I would back us against anyone on GF day, hopefully we meet you in 2019.
Oh you eagles supporters are a crack up, look in your back yard before you start throwing stones, ur flog supporters boo umpires at will its actually embarrassing, booed a player who that sniper gaff hit and furthermore you have bagged mercilessly the pies on social media with dom sheed re-runs, Maynard not being blocked, choking after being 5 goals up, cox where was he? and so on and so on.
Maybe you wont have to wait long hopefully 2019 we are holding up the cup again.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It going to be hard maintaining decent levels of banter till round 23

Im stunned that the afl didnt think there would be any interest in this game enough to warrant an earlier date - im actually dying to see how well we do against your lot at the g - id imagine there would be a fair bit of interest seeing as most rated your lot as gf favs.

Its full on banter between us, ur mob, pies well u guys wont have to wait long as you play them RD3 guess that will be a sell out. We play them RD 2 on a thurs night.

A sensible post and i agree wouldve been great to play earlier but come RD 23 it could be a dead rubber or then again both teams fighting it out for top spot :cool: and the interest would be huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back