Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can back whatever u like on the G its our cauldron. I would back us against anyone on GF day, hopefully we meet you in 2019.
Oh you eagles supporters are a crack up, look in your back yard before you start throwing stones, ur flog supporters boo umpires at will its actually embarrassing, booed a player who that sniper gaff hit and furthermore you have bagged mercilessly the pies on social media with dom sheed re-runs, Maynard not being blocked, choking after being 5 goals up, cox where was he? and so on and so on.
Maybe you wont have to wait long hopefully 2019 we are holding up the cup again.
1549803239298.png

You can back whatever u like on the G its our cauldron. I would back us against anyone on GF day, hopefully we meet you in 2019.
Oh you eagles supporters are a crack up, look in your back yard before you start throwing stones, ur flog supporters boo umpires at will its actually embarrassing, booed a player who that sniper gaff hit and furthermore you have bagged mercilessly the pies on social media with dom sheed re-runs, Maynard not being blocked, choking after being 5 goals up, cox where was he? and so on and so on.
Maybe you wont have to wait long hopefully 2019 we are holding up the cup again.

I love these hypothetical arguments.In 2006 one team beat the eagles twice in the regular season and the eagles won the grand final.Hardly no one remembers who it was who beat the eagles but we never played them in the finals.2018 eagles win another grand final.Doesn't matter that they never met Richmond in the finals .the facts will always show the eagles as premiers in 2006 and 2018 and facts are better then hypotheticals.

You do realise im a tiger member and not a pies supporter. Showing me this means what? We did that 12 months prior.
Ill give you another heads up move aside all the banter, im confident to say most tigers were cheering on the eagles on GF day. My brother in law follows the eagles so was super happy for him. When sheed kicked that goal i jumped off the couch in celebration.

In regards to us tigers fans we know we blew an opportunity to attempt to win back to back flags but thats footy win some/lose some but i can assure you we are not upset we made the big dance in 2017 and we took our chance.

Can wait for this season tiges, pies, eagles, dees are the front runners but bombers or perhaps even the crows likely to roar back into the finals, going to be a ripper season. Bring it on!

So what defines the big 4?

History? Certainly no doubt
Success? Well then the "supposed" big 4 should ultimately lay claim.(add Melbourne)
Time period? Well that's a dousy isn't it?

Are we counting populations in participating states that are genuine supporters? I know I'm gonna receive bullets on this but I'd argue the teams north of the Murray have minimal genuine supporters i:e they're not hard core Australian Football fans like those in Vic, Tas, SA, NT and WA are.

If it is purely based on profile (which I doubt) then it is Collingwood by daylight if not years of daylight, that's not blowing smoke up the clubs ass. It is fact which can not be disputed.

As far as enigma teams like WC and Ade (and they're prominent!) the fact remains they are manufactured teams for a purpose to make the VFL national. Regardless of their numbers which are very large they are in 2 team towns. Imagine if a Norwood or West Perth were to enter the competition would the bulk of west and south Aussie ditch their teams in those comps follow those teams like they have with WC and Ade?

It going to be hard maintaining decent levels of banter till round 23

Im stunned that the afl didnt think there would be any interest in this game enough to warrant an earlier date - im actually dying to see hiw well we do against your lot at the g - id imagine there would be a fair bit of interest seeing as most rated your lot as gf favs
Well after last years game was given star billing late Sunday arvo with block busters like freo v saints occupying Saturday night , nothing , I mean nothing would surprise me.

So what defines the big 4?

History? Certainly no doubt
Success? Well then the "supposed" big 4 should ultimately lay claim.(add Melbourne)
Time period? Well that's a dousy isn't it?

Are we counting populations in participating states that are genuine supporters? I know I'm gonna receive bullets on this but I'd argue the teams north of the Murray have minimal genuine supporters i:e they're not hard core Australian Football fans like those in Vic, Tas, SA, NT and WA are.

If it is purely based on profile (which I doubt) then it is Collingwood by daylight if not years of daylight, that's not blowing smoke up the clubs ass. It is fact which can not be disputed.

As far as enigma teams like WC and Ade (and they're prominent!) the fact remains they are manufactured teams for a purpose to make the VFL national. Regardless of their numbers which are very large they are in 2 team towns. Imagine if a Norwood or West Perth were to enter the competition would the bulk of west and south Aussie ditch their teams in those comps follow those teams like they have with WC and Ade?
You’ve just defined your own criteria , that profile doesn’t pervade every square inch of Australia , it barely transcends the east of Melbourne . So think think in a few more dimansions. Do I see Coll dominate footy day at my kids primary school, NO . Are Coll prolific aus kick , no . So think again

You on crack? No one in their right mind except west toast supporters would think that. Its our fortress 22 games straight we won on the G until the pies beat us whos ground it also is. Well i guess we need to wait until RD 23 when we play u chumps at the G

If its your fortress and we are unable to beat you there it probably shouldnt be the location for every single grand final.

;)

Hmmmm

If its your fortress and we are unable to beat you there it probably shouldnt be the location for every single grand final.

;)

Hmmmm

All I heard last September was that the MCG is a neutral ground the Eagles can't win at because it's Collingwood's home ground :$

Similar mental gymnastics on display in this thread where the suburban minnows wilfully ignore the giant Eagle looming over the whole competition :moustache:

I’d probably back you guys too! But you’d have to get there first mate. Btw, no one booed brayshaw. No one. We’ve got plenty of flog supporters but when you lie to support your argument, it sort of all falls down

Haha u saw that too pies selling 4 game membership but giving away 10 games, talk about trying to bump up their numbers to try and catch us in that promotion. They would be losing money on 10 games for the price of 4. And their insider which docent get u into games but now it does with 4 games free.
Ahh why on earth do they feel the need to do that, they just played in a GF

Upgrade from a 4-Game to a General Admission (home)
Pay $100 for a 4-Game membership, and get upgraded to a General Admission (home) membership for free and save $105.

Upgrade from a Magpie Insider to a 4-Game membership
Pay $65 for a Magpie Insider, and get upgraded to a 4-Game membership for free and save $35.

wow

What a laugh.

Our supporters boo.

Richmond supporters dont at the MCG?

The Gaff reference is plain dumb.

Cry us a river. Sounds like Eagles supporters are more passionate than your mob.

The major difference between clubs and supporters are we havent been starved of success and have built respect both ways. Lost count of the positive comments from Pies supporters on the GF game. Both clubs and supporters showed a lot of class in victory and defeat. Not so Tigers supporters.

But when you go 37 years between drinks and spend decades as the fools of the comp it really isnt a huge surprise unfortunately.

See you at the G.

I’d probably back you guys too! But you’d have to get there first mate. Btw, no one booed brayshaw. No one. We’ve got plenty of flog supporters but when you lie to support your argument, it sort of all falls down

I did hear boos but if you guys say it was directed at brayshaw ill take your word for it and happy to stand corrected. And i wouldn't just lie to support my argument if im wrong im wrong old enough to take it on the chin.
But one thing i did also see was gaff getting a standing ovation which didnt go to well on social media and journos articles saying eagles fans accused of classless response.

Bring on 2019 and lets see where we are both at RD23 before our encounter at the G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a laugh.

Our supporters boo.

Richmond supporters dont at the MCG?

Cry us a river. Sounds like Eagles supporters are more passionate than your mob.

The major difference between clubs and supporters are we havent been starved of success and have built respect both ways. Lost count of the positive comments from Pies supporters on the GF game. Both clubs and supporters showed a lot of class in victory and defeat. Not so Tigers supporters.

See you at the G.

Bahahaha now thats just plain dumb, a club 30 years old compared to a club 135 years old. Don't even compare your franchise club to a traditional club like Richmond. Even with 3 decades of crap we've still been up in the top 3/4 of attendances.

I guess u need to look outside of WA lmao cause u obviously missed the petition from a pies fan. Respect what respect eagles fans hounding pies fans on social media and pies fans giving it back, read enough to make this comment.
Never ever put class and eagles/pies in the same sentence.

Collingwood fan starts petition 7,729 have signed to reverse AFL grand final result you only needed to read the comments to see not all pies fans were being respectful as you eloquently put it. Craven has started a petition on change.org attempting to have the result of the grand final reversed, with over 4,000 people adding their signatures by Tuesday morning.

Ohh yeah cya at the G ;)

Bahahaha now thats just plain dumb, a club 30 years old compared to a club 135 years old. Don't even compare your franchise club to a traditional club like Richmond. Even with 3 decades of crap we've still been up in the top 3/4 of attendances.

I guess u need to look outside of WA lmao cause u obviously missed the petition from a pies fan. Respect what respect eagles fans hounding pies fans on social media and pies fans giving it back, read enough to make this comment.
Never ever put class and eagles/pies in the same sentence.

Collingwood fan starts petition 7,729 have signed to reverse AFL grand final result you only needed to read the comments to see not all pies fans were being respectful as you eloquently put it. Craven has started a petition on change.org attempting to have the result of the grand final reversed, with over 4,000 people adding their signatures by Tuesday morning.

Ohh yeah cya at the G ;)

Wow. Quoting a poll about a ref call. Relevance? None.

Being 135 years old relevance? None.

Naming nuff nudfs on social media. Im shocked to be reading this.

Taking away the standard 10% of all supporters who are all boof heads doesnt leave you with much to talk about.

The relationship between Pies fans and Eagles fans in the majority is very good and respectful. Could not say the same between Tiger and Crows fans.

Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. A majority of Tiger supporters acted and continue to act like bad winners.

But 37 years is a long long wait.

By 'Big 4' I infer that you mean a combination of membership size, financial success, industry influence, general perception, and on-field success.

The ultimate "real big 4" will depend on what weight you attach to all those inputs.

Here is a version:

Big 4:
1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Richmond

'Second tier' big 4:
5. Essendon
6. Carlton
7. Hawthorn
8. Port Adelaide
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle

By 'Big 4' I infer that you mean a combination of membership size, financial success, industry influence, general perception, and on-field success.

The ultimate "real big 4" will depend on what weight you attach to all those inputs.

Here is a version:

Big 4:
1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Richmond

'Second tier' big 4:
5. Essendon
6. Carlton
7. Hawthorn
8. Port Adelaide
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle

Think you forgot the Swans and you have the Crows and Port way too high.

Here is a version:

Big 4:
1. West Coast
2. Adelaide
3. Collingwood
4. Richmond

'Second tier' big 4:
5. Essendon
6. Carlton
7. Hawthorn
8. Port Adelaide
9. Geelong
10. Fremantle
If you want to measure each club based on the categories you mentioned the Blues unfortunately are closer to the bottom. Supporter base we are closer at the top.

You’ve just defined your own criteria , that profile doesn’t pervade every square inch of Australia , it barely transcends the east of Melbourne . So think think in a few more dimansions. Do I see Coll dominate footy day at my kids primary school, NO . Are Coll prolific aus kick , no . So think again

My own criteria? Yeah nah!

Collingwood not prolific, ok you go with that then. Doubt anyone else will.

My own criteria? Yeah nah!

Collingwood not prolific, ok you go with that then. Doubt anyone else will.
Following a premiership Has any other club in the history of the game managed to put on 100,000+ members , 25% more than any other club in the league , No coz they haven’t the capacity to do so .
Did ess go to no 1 with 25% more members than the next team , did Coll after their flag . You know the answer , bluster only gets you so far , bald facts are what counts, duck and weave all you like to avoid them

Wow. Quoting a poll about a ref call. Relevance? None.

Being 135 years old relevance? None.

Naming nuff nudfs on social media. Im shocked to be reading this.

Taking away the standard 10% of all supporters who are all boof heads doesnt leave you with much to talk about.

The relationship between Pies fans and Eagles fans in the majority is very good and respectful. Could not say the same between Tiger and Crows fans.

Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. A majority of Tiger supporters acted and continue to act like bad winners.

But 37 years is a long long wait.
Well you can blame the crows for that , as they non stop bleated about having to play at the mcg. 99% of Richmond supporters are wholesome , clean living , god fearing honest citizens but you pick on the 1% to make a name for yourself , you have no idea.

Following a premiership Has any other club in the history of the game managed to put on 100,000+ members , 25% more than any other club in the league , No coz they haven’t the capacity to do so .
Did ess go to no 1 with 25% more members than the next team , did Coll after their flag . You know the answer , bluster only gets you so far , bald facts are what counts, duck and weave all you like to avoid them

I did not state any of that in the post you replied to, reckon you've got the wrong poster mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back