Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL landscape, and the fortunes of clubs, changes almost every year.

As it stands after 2018, and given membership outlook, I'd go with West Coast, Richmond, Adelaide and Hawthorn

West Coast made a lazy extra $18 million in 2018. Membership revenue pushing $35 million. These guys are so far in front of everybody else it's not even worth arguing about.
I completely agree - I posted in the main financial thread that the Eagles 82.26 million revenue is purely AFL based (give or take a little interest). Using Collingwood as an example, in their revenue include Netball, AFLW, VFL, their travel business, Glasshouse events center business and of course the 2 venues they run where they earn pokies, food and drink revenue. Richmond earn heaps from their gym business. Take all that out and well the gap is even bigger when its a level playing field.

Yep, got to laugh at the numpties calling WC a franchise when the AFL licences all AFL teams to play.

If it’s too hard to understand that ownership itself is unrelated to franchising then just consider WC is owned by the Western Australian Football Commission, a not for profit organisation charged with developing all West Australian footy.

Good argument for saying the owners of WC are far more altruistic than the stake holders of the Vic clubs and yes we currently have a big 3, not a big 4.

Collingwood, Tigers and WC with an dishonorable mention to Adelaide.

EFA

The WAFC, a not for profit organisation charged with developing all West Australian footy.
OMG, are you part of the Trump conspiracy? The WAFC makes a lot of money from West Coast, but the development of all West Australian footy is a stretch by any consideration.
Country footy in WA is in serious peril, and the WAFL is bleeding profusely.
Sure some in the bureaucracy are doing a bit, but like all corporations, there is tremendous waste.

The WAFC, a not for profit organisation charged with developing all West Australian footy.
OMG, are you part of the Trump conspiracy? The WAFC makes a lot of money from West Coast, but the development of all West Australian footy is a stretch by any consideration.
Country footy in WA is in serious peril, and the WAFL is bleeding profusely.
Sure some in the bureaucracy are doing a bit, but like all corporations, there is tremendous waste.

Looking at the last WAFC Annual Report what makes you sat all of the above?

Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

OR

Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

OR

Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

How could I not include Crows?

Biggest membership. Probably the club which draws the largest number to games. (Note this is different to crowds at games, I'm talking about the number drawn by each particular club). Second or third biggest supporter base. Second or third most profitable.

How could I leave such a club out?

because nearly every metric you could use to rank a top 4 ( Revenue, attendance, membership and supporter base ) Adelaide only ranks 4th in " supporter base " . In fact if you take their average position across those metrics they come in ranked 7.25.

Revenue 2018 figures:West Coast 1st Adelaide 11th
1570091627097.png

Attendance 2019 figures:Collingwood 1st Adelaide 7th
1570091691011.png

Membership: 2019 figures : Richmond 1st Adelaide 7th.

1570091759688.png

Suporter Base 2019 figures : Sydney 1st Adelaide 4th
1570092010035.png

Attachments

• 1570091876980.png
    1570091876980.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 115
Based on the above you'd probably say Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and Essendon.

I don’t get how Collingwood get a mention in big 4 . A complete myth .
Only 77k to prelim , approx 85k Members ( including pets ) and 2 flags in 61 years . No , not for me .

I’d say WCE Crows Tigers Hawks . Maybe dons .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yet you have won 2 flags in 40 years and we have won 2 in 30. Strange how we can play with numbers.

I don’t get how Collingwood get a mention in big 4 . A complete myth .
Only 77k to prelim , approx 85k Members ( including pets ) and 2 flags in 61 years . No , not for me .

I’d say WCE Crows Tigers Hawks . Maybe dons .

Find it strange Richmond is in there when they can’t even get more people through the gate than Collingwood despite it being a Premiership year. Astounding how many people Collingwood get to games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 in 40 years. Can't remember who we beat in 1980, but I know we flogged 'em....

Yes but unfortunately we have beaten you in more Grand Finals then you have beaten us. We own you. Head to Head, More Grand Finals wind head to head and you haven’t beaten us in a final in 40 years.

Yes but unfortunately we have beaten you in more Grand Finals then you have beaten us. We own you. Head to Head, More Grand Finals wind head to head and you haven’t beaten us in a final in 40 years.

Imagine beating the same team in 3 Grand Finals in a row

Sorry old fella, I don't remember anything from before TV was invented.....

Sorry old fella, I don't remember anything from before TV was invented.....

So sorry you have turned your back on the great Jack Dyer and Skinny Titus. So sad you don’t respect your own clubs champions. A disgrace.

Find it strange Richmond is in there when they can’t even get more people through the gate than Collingwood despite it being a Premiership year. Astounding how many people Collingwood get to games.

Hm I think you will find that tigers have highest home ground average crowd . But why let the truth get in the way if a good story ?
Nevertheless, the fact still remains 85k Members ( pets incl) 2 flags in 62 years , No longer a destination club & about to loose your best player and terrible crowd fir finals match (77k , we get more to training !!).

The whole Collingwood thing is a myth , the numbers say as much and lack of success validates . And the pitiful attempt to copy Richmond , cmon for the 5 or 6th biggest club I would expect you to behave better .

So sorry you have turned your back on the great Jack Dyer and Skinny Titus. So sad you don’t respect your own clubs champions. A disgrace.

They are old-time legends, no doubt about it.

I prefer the modern day legends though - KB, Dusty, Cotchin etc. All mighty Tigers, with a premiership medallion or two.

Collingwood has legends too. Guys like Nathan Buckley. He's won almost every honour the game can bestow, even a Norm Smith medal.

Hm I think you will find that tigers have highest home ground average crowd . But why let the truth get in the way if a good story ?
Nevertheless, the fact still remains 85k Members ( pets incl) 2 flags in 62 years , No longer a destination club & about to loose your best player and terrible crowd fir finals match (77k , we get more to training !!).

The whole Collingwood thing is a myth , the numbers say as much and lack of success validates . And the pitiful attempt to copy Richmond , cmon for the 5 or 6th biggest club I would expect you to behave better .

Home ground. More selective stats and more evidence your supporters don’t turn up to Away games. The simple stat is yet again we drew more people through the gate than the Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back