Analysis Which clubs deserve a priority pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The below table represents clubs' 2018 player lists

To understand the "Points Ladder", I have awarded 5 points for a Top3, 3 points for Top4-10, 2 points for Top11-18 and 1 point for 2nd round.

Most teams have players that fall outside of the points classification due to the nature of which they were drafted. These have been summarised in the "Additional" column.

upload_2018-8-22_10-56-7.png

Looking at the table, Carlton have the most amount of top end talent on their list by a clear margin, with the exception of GWS, which is really no surprise.

This suggests that there are obviously a host of issues at the club that need to be addressed before any additional priority picks are going to be of any value. This is also highlighted by the fact that many of the Top8 teams have very little top end talent on their lists (except GWS).

There is however a stark contrast between the Gold Coast and GWS lists in terms of top end talent. Of course, Gold Coast need to accept some responsibility in this with many young players having already left the club, suggesting a culture issue of some sort.

Are Gold Coast deserving of a priority pick? It appears they will be compensated well for Lynch which will help. I think that given the huge difference between the GWS and Gold Coast lists, as well as the fact that they are mostly uncompetitive, Gold Coast are more deserving of a priority pick.

So what should this look like? Maybe an end of 1st round this year and depending on results of 2019, this could be addressed again.

I can't however, make any case for Carlton. 17 x 1st Round Draft Picks on their list is far ahead of any other team in the competition (except GWS).

With Geelong and North Melbourne being competitive whilst being the only two teams in the competition without a top3 pick on their list With Adelaide making a Grand Final last year and only having 1 x top10 draft pick on their list (Bryce Gibbs 2018) (Jake Lever)
With Hawthorn and Sydney in contention for top4 this year with only 3 draft picks inside the top10 on their lists....

It shows that Carlton have a lot of soul searching to do! Gold Coast on the other hand, especially with Lynch leaving, need some sort of assistance!

Last edited:
...but but - all year all I've heard and read on BigFooty and in the media is how s**t Carlton and it's list is (quote by a Richmond supporter- "They will never make finals in my lifetime" ).

Now, apparently, when a PP is being discussed, our list all looks pretty rosey ???

...but but - all year all I've heard and read on BigFooty and in the media is how s**t Carlton and it's list is (quote by a Richmond supporter- "They will never make finals in my lifetime" ).

Now, apparently, when a PP is being discussed, our list all looks pretty rosey ???

Your list may look very rosey but when you analyse the table in depth, it's very concerning from a Carlton Football Club perspective as a whole

2 wins in a season is pretty rubbish. I'm happy for both of them to get a pick at the end of Round 1.

Why? They clearly have enough talent already. Obviously there are many other issues at play with Carlton that need to be addressed first as just throwing priority picks at them is a waste of time

Why? They clearly have enough talent already. Obviously there are many other issues at play with Carlton that need to be addressed first as just throwing priority picks at them is a waste of time
This.

I'm against it. Why should other clubs be penalised for clubs with poor trading and drafting, or not have their off-field support systems running appropriately.

Teams have to take some accountability. AFL cannot simply continue to reward incompetence and poor management. Another PP is not the answer.

Why? They clearly have enough talent already.
Alot of what your calling talent are first rounders that GWS moved on after having a good look at them. Some of them might come good ie Marchbank or Plowman but others are going to be busts.

End of first round is not a massive burden for the rest of the clubs to bare. the difference between say pick 20 and pick 21 is not a big deal.

I'd be giving both one but at the end of the first round, we were just as atrocious as they have been this year when we got ours. No way should they receive a PP in the first round.

Clubs are admitting to gross incompetence by applying for special assistance. All positions at the club from list manager to board should be spilled as a condition of applying, with the AFL approving all apointments.

Carlton has implemented a deliberate list strategy that led to them bottominrg out. Why should they get extra draft picks for that?

No to priority picks but am okay with clubs getting AFL sponsored off field assistance like Melbourne did - but only on above condition.

No amount of priority picks will rectify an endemic culture of failure.

Last edited:
Clubs are admitting to gross incompetence by applying for special assistance. All positions at the club from list manager to board should be spilled as a condition of applying, with the AFL approving all apointments.

Carlton has implemented a deliberate list strategy that led to them bottominrg out. Why should they get extra draft picks for that?

No to priority picks but am okay with clubs getting AFL sponsored off field assistance like Melbourne did - but only on above condition.

No amount of priority picks will rectify an endemic culture of failure.

Completely agree with this!

Brisbane deserve a PP just as much as Carlton or Gold Coast, irrespective of the fact that they already received one in 2016. Brisbane has the worse win-loss record in the AFL over the past four years, and they haven't played finals for the best part of a decade. That being said, I don’t believe Brisbane or Carlton deserve, or are entitled to a PP.

For me Carlton have chosen to (consciously) trade out and move on experienced players such as E. Betts, Z. Tuohy, B. Gibbs, L. Henderson, J. Garlett, J. Waite, S. Grigg, M. Robbinson etc. in recent history. Choosing to bring in youth, and as one poster stated; they have more first round draft picks listed than any other club (barring GWS).

Gold Coast for mine are the only club worthy of a handout. But they need so much more than draft picks!

*Wins and losses (to date) for the past four seasons (2015-2018)

Brisbane Lions: W-17, L-70 with an overall average percentage of 73.15% (Last finals appearance - 2009)

Carlton - W-19, L-68 with an overall average percentage of 70.73% (Last finals appearance - 2013)

Gold Coast - W-20, L-66, D-1 with an overall percentage of 72% (Never played a final since being introduced in 2011)

Carlton can have another 9 first rounders but will still waste them...

Gold Coast on the other hand does deserve a priority pick.

This.

I'm against it. Why should other clubs be penalised for clubs with poor trading and drafting, or not have their off-field support systems running appropriately.

Teams have to take some accountability. AFL cannot simply continue to reward incompetence and poor management. Another PP is not the answer.

Did your club take accountability when it got Rance?
Your club was incompetent for years yet was more than happy to get the PP to gain Rance.

Your club was incompetent for years yet was more than happy to get the PP to gain Rance.

Like you can talk.. Walker, Murphy and Kreuzer were all handed to you. Enough is enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like you can talk.. Walker, Murphy and Kreuzer were all handed to you. Enough is enough.

The amount of priority assistance Carlton has had suggests more PPs isnt the answer and is just throwing more green wood on a shitty fire. AFL review and off field assistance is likely a far better option.

Get a coach not over the hill or on his training wheels who has proven he can build a club is one idea. Recruit a CEO who hasnt been banned for cap rorting another. Recruit a head of footy from a successful club rather than a failing entity like Freo is another idea.

Last edited:
You are comparing once to your yards numerous times of failed attempts to recruit and trade, with numerous offerings from the AFL.....

Make some changes to your footy department first, see if that has an impact, before you start singing for a PP.

Look at Brisbane, change up the off-field, some smart recruiting and bam, they are on the right track.

Another pick doesn't help with development and coaching issues. Should stop asking for handouts and fix the real problems.

I don't mind the idea of getting one under the proviso that they trade it for a mature player that can help with on field leadership.

Look what we got here, another Carlton bashing thread. We haven't asked for one yet.

Good! I hope you don't!

I'm not that confident though...

Carlton have brought this on themselves so don't whinge at the rest of us when we get annoyed that the AFL are willing to consider such a thing.

Another pick doesn't help with development and coaching issues. Should stop asking for handouts and fix the real problems.

I don't mind the idea of getting one under the proviso that they trade it for a mature player that can help with on field leadership.
We haven't asked for a handout.

Good! I hope you don't!

I'm not that confident though...

Carlton have brought this on themselves so don't whinge at the rest of us when we get annoyed that the AFL are willing to consider such a thing.
It's not me doing the whinging.

Carlton can have another 9 first rounders but will still waste them...

Gold Coast on the other hand does deserve a priority pick.

Giving Carlton more picks is like giving Vodka to a drunk...they are likely to waste them and they deliberately bottomed out they don't deserve them.

GC's biggest issues are cultural and player retention (their shocking injury management record is also one but comes after the other 2). Giving them a priority pick is just as likely to be used on a player who will leave in 3-4 years. The AFL needs to give them off field and personnel assistance to get that sorted that will give them way more help than a priority pick.

Giving Carlton more picks is like giving Vodka to a drunk...they are likely to waste them and they deliberately bottomed out they don't deserve them.

GC's biggest issues are cultural and player retention (their shocking injury management record is also one but comes after the other 2). Giving them a priority pick is just as likely to be used on a player who will leave in 3-4 years. The AFL needs to give them off field and personnel assistance to get that sorted that will give them way more help than a priority pick.
Yes, it's so important to provide assistance to Gold Coast because they arguably had significantly less help than GWS did at the start. Also we want Gold Coast to remain in the AFL and not falter.

Likely to waste them?

What a load of garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back