Which clubs enter 2022 with the oldest and youngest lists?

Remove this Banner Ad

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Courtesy of OET via Zero Hanger

See where your club ranks in age and experience for next season.

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com.
DECEMBER 8, 2021

OER.jpg

Richmond

Average Age: 25.1 years (3rd)
Average Games: 80.6 games (3rd)

Despite an off-season that saw the Tigers farewell ageing stalwarts and acquire several young prospects through the draft, Damien Hardwick's side remain as one of the older and most experienced in the competition next year.

The arrival of Robbie Tarrant is a key factor in the Tigers keeping their experience afloat, while the departures of Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones certainly hinder their younger ranks.

https://www.zerohanger.com/which-clubs-enter-2022-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-lists-95455/
https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2022

Geelong and to some extent WC have a fairly bare cupboard coming through. So maybe there is something useful in this ladder.

Anyway, it shows we're coming to the end of our super star squad some time in the next few years i guess.

Courtesy of OET via Zero Hanger

See where your club ranks in age and experience for next season.

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com.
DECEMBER 8, 2021

View attachment 1294146

Richmond

Average Age: 25.1 years (3rd)
Average Games: 80.6 games (3rd)

Despite an off-season that saw the Tigers farewell ageing stalwarts and acquire several young prospects through the draft, Damien Hardwick's side remain as one of the older and most experienced in the competition next year.

The arrival of Robbie Tarrant is a key factor in the Tigers keeping their experience afloat, while the departures of Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones certainly hinder their younger ranks.

https://www.zerohanger.com/which-clubs-enter-2022-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-lists-95455/
https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2022
Im a bit superstitious. It's a sign !! We finished 3rd in 17, 19 and 20 and that panned out beautifully. Bring on 2022 !!

Tigers very well placed. In 2-years after Jack, Cotch, Tarrant, Pickett, Edwards and maybe one or two other ‘oldies’ have retired, and half a dozen more kids have come on we will be in bottom 2-3 for age but will have a very experienced core.

The list management team have managed the transition amazingly well and this will be shown by being in flag contention in 2022, and then again from 2025 onwards when I’m confident we will at the pointy end again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We're heading into red alert Geelong territory.

Yes and no, for starters we have much more young talent on our books than the cats. (ignore CCJ from the below list).

Even the doggies are only one month younger than us, and the dees are only 6 months younger and 9 games less experience. Port, Brissy and Sydney are also around the mark.
We have drafted some exciting talent in this latest draft and hopefully, they all make the grade in the coming years along with Ryan, MRJ, Cumberland, Miller, and Biggy.
But if we can get 4-5 from this group, Ross, RCD, Dow, Ralphsmith, Martyn, Mansell being regulars, it will go a long way in keeping us up.

richmond-demographics.jpg

Last edited:
Tigers very well placed. In 2-years after Jack, Cotch, Tarrant, Pickett, Edwards and maybe one or two other ‘oldies’ have retired, and half a dozen more kids have come on we will be in bottom 2-3 for age but will have a very experienced core.

The list management team have managed the transition amazingly well and this will be shown by being in flag contention in 2022, and then again from 2025 onwards when I’m confident we will at the pointy end again.

Replace Pickett with Caddy on your list

We need Marlion to get to 100 games

We're heading into red alert Geelong territory.

Could go either way. We’ve kept a trickle of draftees coming into the club but we’ve wasted a lot of first round picks and the jury is out on RCD and Dow. Only Balta, Stack, Bolton and Baker look capable of pushing into that A grade bracket.

Hopefully we get a few pieces out of this draft. If we stroke out this year we will be in for a really long rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no, for starters we have much more young talent on our books than the cats. (ignore CCJ from the below list).

Even the doggies are only one month younger than us, and the dees are only 6 months younger and 9 games less experience. Port, Brissy and Sydney are also around the mark.
We have drafted some exciting talent in this latest draft and hopefully, they all make the grade in the coming years along with Ryan, MRJ, Cumberland, Miller, and Biggy.
But if we can get 4-5 from this group, Ross, RCD, Dow, Ralphsmith, Martyn, Mansell being regulars, it will go a long way in keeping us up.

View attachment 1294314
Think it's touch and go how we'll be travelling in a few years time.
No players 26.
Short & Soldo handy as 25 year olds, but Castagna & Parker?
Rioli 24....
Baker, Bolton & Graham 23
Balta & Miller 22
Then still unconsolidated RCD, Mansell, Ross, Stack & Ryan at 21.

Will need a few of the 20 & 21 year olds step up this season to make me feel we have a team able to contend.

Think it's touch and go how we'll be travelling in a few years time.
No players 26.
Short & Soldo handy as 25 year olds, but Castagna & Parker?
Rioli 24....
Baker, Bolton & Graham 23
Balta & Miller 22
Then still unconsolidated RCD, Mansell, Ross, Stack & Ryan at 21.

Will need a few of the 20 & 21 year olds step up this season to make me feel we have a team able to contend.

Agree. But we have a lot of decent looking talent for a team that been on top for so long. We have the ability to rebuild almost immediately, using players we have drafted.

And we can start to look at trading/FA'ing more aggressively as the older super stars salaries go down.

So we might be able to have the basis of, say 16-20 good AFL players with a group of A graders, and then bring in 3-4 good/very good mature players to build that contending squad almost immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the Dogs were supposed to be a young side? Lots of Dogs supporters on the main board saying it doesn’t matter that they lost the grand final because they’re so young and will be contending for years. They’re only a month younger than us on average and we’re old

Could go either way. We’ve kept a trickle of draftees coming into the club but we’ve wasted a lot of first round picks and the jury is out on RCD and Dow. Only Balta, Stack, Bolton and Baker look capable of pushing into that A grade bracket.

Hopefully we get a few pieces out of this draft. If we stroke out this year we will be in for a really long rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I constantly read about our ‘wasted’ first round draft picks …

2020: didn’t have one
2019: didn’t have one (Dow at 21 looks good to me)
2018: didn’t have one (RCD at 20 looks ok)
2017: Higgins. Got a brain injury then Left for opportunity and will end up playing 150+.
2016: didn’t have one
2015: Rioli a triple Premiership player and 4-goals in a tight PF
2014: C Ellis (big fail)
2013: Lennon (fail)
2012: Vlastuin
2011: B Ellis (2 flags and will end up with 300+)
2010: Conca (a fail but still played 149 games)
2009: Martin

So it’s hardly a graveyard and we’ve hardly had end top end picks.

2017: Higgins. Got a brain injury then Left for opportunity and will end up playing 150+.

Just a comment. Some of those 20+ picks were technically first round. Just pushed back due to matched picks.

We haven't had access to top 20 picks since 2017 and top 10 since 2012. What we have been doing is picking high potential players that need development. If, and it is if, RCD and Dow work then the core of our midfield is sorted for many years.

Look at Geelong and the Hawks to see the main alternative. Barely any younger players.

We are trying to move smoothly from one high end squad to another. Not easy, but we are half way there already. Some good development and a few trades/FAs and we are contending for 5-8 years again.

[/Q
as usual im going to play devils advocate here.
Of course we had first round picks
2020 we opted out of the year for god knows what reason but not the first round as we traded the pick to Geelong for their first this year. The upshot was we ended up with pick 17 and took Tom Browne. so yes technically we did not have a 1st rounder in 2020 but we had it this year instead.

2019 Dow at pick 21 is a first round pick and has not done a whole heap to date. Too early anyway to be calling one way or the other.

2018 RCD at pick 20 again was a first round pick and to date while showing glimpses has not done a whole heap. 22 this year will have to improve.A poor year this year and he will be on the precipice.Again with covid seasons and a lack of footy its too early to call one way or the other.

2017 higgins was pick 17 i sure as hell hope this yrs pick 17 is better than Higgins.

2016 Yep we used pick 7 and a second rounder that became Tim Kelly for Prestia. He is so far in front of any kid we have drafted since Martin in 2009 its not funny.
2015 Rioli pick 15 a triple premiership player and that is about all you can put on his resume. Lucky to be at Richmond at a time of success imo. and a tad underwhelming. So far all we have had is a defensive fwd at such a high pick and we are now trying to turn him into a defender.

2014 C Ellis at 12 fail

2013 Lennon at 12 fail

2012 Vlastuin at 9 a top 10 and has been a very good player

2011 B Ellis at 15 was he a top 15 player?? well he polarises everyone a soft outside player and just an okay player for the pick.

2010 Conca at 6 Fail

2009 Martin at 3 and we have to go all the way back to here to actually find a high quality pick.

There is always two ways to look at things just showing the other side.

Just a comment. Some of those 20+ picks were technically first round. Just pushed back due to matched picks.

We haven't had access to top 20 picks since 2017 and top 10 since 2012. What we have been doing is picking high potential players that need development. If, and it is if, RCD and Dow work then the core of our midfield is sorted for many years.

Look at Geelong and the Hawks to see the main alternative. Barely any younger players.

We are trying to move smoothly from one high end squad to another. Not easy, but we are half way there already. Some good development and a few trades/FAs and we are contending for 5-8 years again.
I beg to differ Geelong have by my count 12 juniors and 8 players aged 22 to 24. By comparison we have 13 juniors and 7 aged 22 - 24.

They have just as many 24 and unders as we do and they have them with similar to later picks over a longer period than we have had to do it.

If we are talking numbers in these age brackets then they are no worse off than us. Now it gets interesting if we talk quality and thats where it usually gets heated.

I beg to differ Geelong have by my count 12 juniors and 8 players aged 22 to 24. By comparison we have 13 juniors and 7 aged 22 - 24.

They have just as many 24 and unders as we do and they have them with similar to later picks over a longer period than we have had to do it.

If we are talking numbers in these age brackets then they are no worse off than us. Now it gets interesting if we talk quality and thats where it usually gets heated.

Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Jack Graham, Baker, Rioli * 2, Stack. All good young players, proven to be AFL quality. (Maybe MRJ I'm projecting). Show me Geelong's equivalent list.

All clubs must have kids because of the rules. We have a good quality group of young players. So when I say 1/2 way there I mean that with the 25+ players we have a squad that just needs a few more pieces to be good for 5+ years.

Geelong will rely on top ups to keep going. And with Danger, Selwood, Hawkins getting older they don't have that next group coming through. That is, to be explicit, being absolutely clear, we have the core of a good squad under 25 years old and Geelong doesn't.

View attachment 1294314
Although theres some absolute stars in that 30 and over group. Hard to replace.

IMG_20211210_090741.jpg

Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Jack Graham, Baker, Rioli * 2, Stack. All good young players, proven to be AFL quality. (Maybe MRJ I'm projecting). Show me Geelong's equivalent list.

All clubs must have kids because of the rules. We have a good quality group of young players. So when I say 1/2 way there I mean that with the 25+ players we have a squad that just needs a few more pieces to be good for 5+ years.

Geelong will rely on top ups to keep going. And with Danger, Selwood, Hawkins getting older they don't have that next group coming through. That is, to be explicit, being absolutely clear, we have the core of a good squad under 25 years old and Geelong doesn't.
I actually largely agree with you. When you said Geelong and Hawthorn had barely any youngsters then i disagreed the numbers say they have exactly the same number of 24 and unders as we do.

I bet if you ask Geelong supporters they would be Bullish about the kids they have, just like we are bullish about ours.

I also think they will no longer be topping up with older players. 2022 imo will definately be the last role of the dice for them.
Imo they are very short on for young mids and like us lack proven depth in key positions.

I agree though i think more of ours have shown more and are probably more advanced.

An interesting exercise to do is pick a team without any vets in it, that is 28 and under. For us the gulf the vets are going to leave is huge especially when it comes to quality and the problem for Geelong is even greater.

I actually largely agree with you. When you said Geelong and Hawthorn had barely any youngsters then i disagreed the numbers say they have exactly the same number of 24 and unders as we do.

I bet if you ask Geelong supporters they would be Bullish about the kids they have, just like we are bullish about ours.

I also think they will no longer be topping up with older players. 2022 imo will definately be the last role of the dice for them.
Imo they are very short on for young mids and like us lack proven depth in key positions.

I agree though i think more of ours have shown more and are probably more advanced.

An interesting exercise to do is pick a team without any vets in it, that is 28 and under. For us the gulf the vets are going to leave is huge especially when it comes to quality and the problem for Geelong is even greater.

Agree.

For Geelong though they basically have a VFL team. We have 1/2 of an AFL team (good one at that) then nothing much ... as yet.

We've picked a lot of class this year. But turning that class into genuine AFL players isn't always easy.

For the RFC the turning point is good development of our younger players from showing glimpses into showing consistent form.

For Geelong it is actually getting enough quality kids to have a contending squad 3-5 years from now. In fact they might be facing the cliff in 2 years. Some bad luck and they are badly screwed.

We had our bad luck last year, and we weren't great, but we have enough to possibly contend again in 2022. Not sure for the 2023and 2024 years though.

as usual im going to play devils advocate here.
Of course we had first round picks
2020 we opted out of the year for god knows what reason but not the first round as we traded the pick to Geelong for their first this year. The upshot was we ended up with pick 17 and took Tom Browne. so yes technically we did not have a 1st rounder in 2020 but we had it this year instead.

2019 Dow at pick 21 is a first round pick and has not done a whole heap to date. Too early anyway to be calling one way or the other.

2018 RCD at pick 20 again was a first round pick and to date while showing glimpses has not done a whole heap. 22 this year will have to improve.A poor year this year and he will be on the precipice.Again with covid seasons and a lack of footy its too early to call one way or the other.

2017 higgins was pick 17 i sure as hell hope this yrs pick 17 is better than Higgins.

2016 Yep we used pick 7 and a second rounder that became Tim Kelly for Prestia. He is so far in front of any kid we have drafted since Martin in 2009 its not funny.
2015 Rioli pick 15 a triple premiership player and that is about all you can put on his resume. Lucky to be at Richmond at a time of success imo. and a tad underwhelming. So far all we have had is a defensive fwd at such a high pick and we are now trying to turn him into a defender.

2014 C Ellis at 12 fail

2013 Lennon at 12 fail

2012 Vlastuin at 9 a top 10 and has been a very good player

2011 B Ellis at 15 was he a top 15 player?? well he polarises everyone a soft outside player and just an okay player for the pick.

2010 Conca at 6 Fail

2009 Martin at 3 and we have to go all the way back to here to actually find a high quality pick.

There is always two ways to look at things just showing the other side.

Mopsy we all know you like to play devil’s advocate. But there is a level of expectation around here that you will be an accurate advocate for the said supreme spirit of evil. This is Richmond. Performance matters. 😁

Referring to the part I have bolded in your post quoted above, what the hell has the pick that became Tim Kelly got to do with the Dion Prestia trade?

For Prestia, Richmond gave up:

1. pick that became pick 7 in the 2016 draft. With this pick, Suns took Jack “Ian” Scrimshaw.

2. our 2017 second round pick which became pick 38 and with which Eagles took Petruccelle.

In return for this the Suns gave us:

1. Triple Premier including 1 Dyer Medal in a flag year Dion Prestia who in 12 finals has 8 goals plus 9 goal assists to go with his 24 disposal average. This seems unremarkable until you start comparing it with Ablett Jnr, Judd, Pendlebury etc especially with a particular focus on the finals that matter most, ie the ones against teams who at least made a PF in that series. 😍

2. The pick that became pick 26 in the 2016 draft.

We then took that pick 26 and traded it to Geelong, along with our pick 64 in the 2016 draft.

It is a matter of legend that the Cats were kind enough to give us dual Premiership player Joshua Caddy and pick 56 in the 2016 draft in return.

With 26 they took useful high tackling but low disposal/low scoreboard impact mid Brandon Parfitt, AKA K-Mart Jack Graham. With pick 64 they took VFL player Narkle.

With pick 56 we of course took dual Premiership player and massive contribution to a 3rd flag Jack Graham, the Harrods version. 😍😍😍

So we gave up picks 7 and 64 in the 2016 draft and pick 38 in the 2017 draft and in return got Dion, Caddy and Jack. Jack Graham that is.

Moppey Can you please kindly explain to our avid readers where Tim Kelly came into that trade…..💁💁💁

From where I sit, that must be one of the higher value returns from a first round pick in recorded history. I have also checked through unrecorded history and there is nothing there that matches it either. 😎

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back