Which clubs fans create the best atmosphere on game day?

Remove this Banner Ad

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Imo there are a clear three out in front.

Collingwood, Richmond & West Coast.(sheer weigh of numbers + parochialism + noise)

Honorable mention to Port also who I'd put next in line, which is quite incredible given where they were less than a decade ago.

Port supporters have always been loud despite the numbers who turn up.

On the other end of the spectrum, the crows supporters tend to make a lot of noise 10 seconds before the first bounce then it's crickets until the last quarter.

Imo there are a clear three out in front.

Collingwood, Richmond & West Coast.(sheer weigh of numbers + parochialism + noise)

Honorable mention to Port also who I'd put next in line, which is quite incredible given where they were less than a decade ago.
Sorry, no, not WCE.

When they are behind in a game, things get very quiet, very quickly.

I enjoy watching unwashed incoherent idiots starting fights with each other, so I'll nominate Collingwood, Richmond and Port.
Hey man. I had a shower last month!

But seeing as we are generalising, Melbourne games are pretty quiet because the fan's gobs are full of truffles and caviar. All washed down with a nice chianti, and a grope of the Au Pair's arse.

I've made it to Adelaide Oval a few times for Richmond vs Port (as well as a trip to the forgettable Football Park).
Never tear us apart is good fun, but Port also do a great job during the game with lights and music to build the atmosphere.
Fans are really loud as well. For me the only cross against them is the crowd size sometimes not being what'd you'd expect in some big games.

Obviously I'm going to like the Tiges experience, and we get some big, loud crowds. I think our atmosphere is the most genuine, no frills environment, just with lots of people excited about seeing their team win.

For me the Pies are #1. The Collingwood chant is spine tingling at a big game, and the Pies consistently get huge crowds.

Edit: haven't been to a West Coast home game. Got to a freo game at subiaco and got a Collingwood-lite vibe from them. Thought the Gabba environment is lacklustre (though I went when Brisbane were down), and Giants stadium is a great ground but obviously hollow atmosphere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy watching unwashed incoherent idiots starting fights with each other, so I'll nominate Collingwood, Richmond and Port.
Melbourne fan experience
BTX_1168.jpg

Port have created an enjoyable game day experience.

Eddie Betts and Tom Lynch would disagree.

As a Carlton man, I cant say I particularly like attending Collingwood or Richmond games, due to the high numbers of feral dickheads those clubs have attached (not that Carlton is that much better really). Violence and thuggery is a little too common.

The Essendon guys arent that bad. And I hate them the most, so there is no bias here.

Games in the West are actually pretty decent with good atmosphere and a lack of crowd violence or the sorts of s**t crowd behaviour you see in SA or Victoria.

They do 'boo' a lot here of course, and are insanely one sided (I genuinely feel for the umpires most weeks). But they're invariably pretty well behaved in the West, even as the sole Carlton supporter in a sea of purple of royal blue and yellow. They're rabidly one eyed, but there is a very strong zero tolerance for dickheads.

I trust you didn't learn to speak neanderthal at school?

Sorry to say it's actually Essendon under the roof. Well, it used to be and sometimes still is, though it'd be indisputable if they got the reserved seat situation on level 2 sorted out.

For worst you can't go past St Kilda. Have all the thuggery and nastiness of the bigger clubs, but only have a tiny crowd so u get no atmosphere and the bad ones stick out more.

For worst you can't go past St Kilda. Have all the thuggery and nastiness of the bigger clubs, but only have a tiny crowd so u get no atmosphere and the bad ones stick out more.
I'd have us as louder than North, Melbourne and Hawthorn personally. When we are up and about and can actually fill out docklands its very loud.

Definitely not WC. They are embarassing. They boo aggressively - not just for a bit of theatre - when umpires make straightforward decisions. They give the impression that they don't understand Aussie Rules at all. It was very striking watching this year's WC v Pies final, and then watching Port v Richmond. WC fans carried on like nuffies throughout the whole game, whwereas Port crowd were passionate and loud, but clearly understand the game well, and didn't boo like morons if Port gave away an obvious free kick. Adelaide fans can carry on a bit like the WC ones though not as bad. Brisbane fans can be similar, though not as bad with the booing. Freo fans pretty good though not always as loud in recent years. Sydney fans least passionate, along with Demons. Geelong are a funny mix - genteel polite old money western district graziers who applaud politely but also ice addicts who genuinely love a punch on. North are passionate, just a smaller crowd. Essendon used to be passionate and loud but with a nasty edge (eg booing Pendles), so that could create an intense atmosphere in a big claim against a rival club. Carlton similar.

So best for me are Collingwood, Port, Richmond. Worst Sydney, WC, Melbourne.

Definitely not WC. They are embarassing. They boo aggressively - not just for a bit of theatre - when umpires make straightforward decisions. They give the impression that they don't understand Aussie Rules at all. It was very striking watching this year's WC v Pies final, and then watching Port v Richmond. WC fans carried on like nuffies throughout the whole game, whwereas Port crowd were passionate and loud, but clearly understand the game well, and didn't boo like morons if Port gave away an obvious free kick. Adelaide fans can carry on a bit like the WC ones though not as bad. Brisbane fans can be similar, though not as bad with the booing. Freo fans pretty good though not always as loud in recent years. Sydney fans least passionate, along with Demons. Geelong are a funny mix - genteel polite old money western district graziers who applaud politely but also ice addicts who genuinely love a punch on. North are passionate, just a smaller crowd. Essendon used to be passionate and loud but with a nasty edge (eg booing Pendles), so that could create an intense atmosphere in a big claim against a rival club. Carlton similar.

So best for me are Collingwood, Port, Richmond. Worst Sydney, WC, Melbourne.
Shorter version, Richmond supporter doesn't like us because we boo too loud, so much so that it has turned him into an incoherent mess 😭🤣😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back