Strategy Which clubs will adapt better to the new spending environment, and which will suffer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Means the 25 - 30 staff will be the norm going forward
Down from how many staff?

I expect that a 37% reduction in spending does not equate to a 37% reduction in staff. There'll be pay cuts to factor in so that 37% saving might see 20% of staff gone. I have made that figure up, it may be more or less, but I think it is a reasonable assumption to expect salaries to be reduced.

And there will be people let go who didn't add as much as they were paid. They were employed to try to find that miniscule edge over the opposition. They may have added 1% but took up 3% of the salary cap.

Down from how many staff?

I expect that a 37% reduction in spending does not equate to a 37% reduction in staff. There'll be pay cuts to factor in so that 37% saving might see 20% of staff gone. I have made that figure up, it may be more or less, but I think it is a reasonable assumption to expect salaries to be reduced.

And there will be people let go who didn't add as much as they were paid. They were employed to try to find that miniscule edge over the opposition. They may have added 1% but took up 3% of the salary cap.
It was quoted in an article Richmond have over 50 footballing staff pre covid

Exactly. From what I read and hear though, some clubs will be hit harder than others due to their business models.

Geelong's taxpayer funded home ground no good when not full of fans, their pokies shut too - $10m in the hole.

Yeah the home ground thing is going to hurt us, pokies meh we deserve that pain - and so does every other club that relies on them.

Yeah the home ground thing is going to hurt us, pokies meh we deserve that pain - and so does every other club that relies on them.

The home ground will also help pay the debt back pretty quick.

Are Geelong planning to get out of pokies?

The home ground will also help pay the debt back pretty quick.

Are Geelong planning to get out of pokies?

I wish they would but I doubt it. Clubs will only give up pokies if they are forced to.

The home ground has left us with considerable debt, which is fine (and better than fine) when it is being used, a bit of a problem when it isn't.

Interesting by North, getting rid of a very successful W coach to cut costs.

Interesting by North, getting rid of a very successful W coach to cut costs.

Is it true the aflw soft cap is seperate to the afl soft cap and hence a reason why the above move was made

to shift crockers wage off our soft cap and onto the aflw one instead

Is it true the aflw soft cap is seperate to the afl soft cap and hence a reason why the above move was made

to shift crockers wage off our soft cap and onto the aflw one instead

Hopefully this sort of manoeuvre isnt happening, moving the deck chairs - not a shot at North, it'd be sloppy admin by the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro - and the evidence - suggesting Richmond not adapting well at all.

Cutting Balme and Hartley out in favour of day to day performance staff maybe not the right call.

Soft cap reduced by 37%, $9.7 down to $6.1 million.

Is that a forced spend? If so, I suppose we can reallocate some baseball or Esports costs to meet the spend requirement.

Cutting Balme and Hartley out in favour of day to day performance staff maybe not the right call.

Not like you to back Caro on her views JeanLuc? Interesting opinion piece by her though.

I’m sure like many journos, she will deny this view if we recover and end up having a good year.

Not like you to back Caro on her views JeanLuc? Interesting opinion piece by her though.

I’m sure like many journos, she will deny this view if we recover and end up having a good year.

Yeah it doesn't sit well with me either.

But Richmond did go down one tack - protect front line coaching/conditioning staff at all costs.

Not sure it is right move.

When Caro formally left The Age Chief Football Writer job, she did a big retrospective on her career, every story she'd ever done - yet the whole 2006/07 Gold Coast was not mentioned.

It really is only an opinion piece. Might be a case of short-term pain for long-term gain here. Obviously ideal to be winning, but we proved last year that a team doesn't has to win early as long as they win late. This season (and following seasons) still has a long way to go.

Who did North cut to pass Cunnington fit? Definitely not the right call.

I spose the upside is the comp will be even closer than ever before.

Sadly not true, clubs will just use more interns and volunteers than they already do to make up the difference.

The bigger clubs will continue to pay for the better coaches, performance staff etc. and just get free labour to make up the rest

Last edited:

Three wins on the trot since Caro wrote this article. Maybe not the right call from her.

Interesting from Caro here

Clubs at this stage seem to be removing their full time staff around the edges of the football program. Will probably result in those positions getting replaced by part-time employees, volunteers and interns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back