Which coach is under the most pressure for 2018?

Which coach is under the most pressure?

• Don Pyke

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Chris Fagan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brendan Bolton

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 121 34.4%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Scott

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Simon Goodwin

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Ken Hinkley

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • Damian Hardwick

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Alan Richardson

Votes: 60 17.0%
  • John Longmire

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • Luke Beveridge

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised Alan Richardson hasn’t been mentioned more. He did take over a wooden spoon team, so that gives him some leeway, but this will be his 5th year so they really need to start making the 8. 5 years without finals is what Terry Wallace delivered at Richmond.

I always figured that due to age imbalance they would get worse before they got better - can see them dropping off a bit this year before making a charge in 2-3 years time.

Longmire and Goodwin have both not quite managed to emulate the man who made them - IMO not so much a failure on their behalf, rather a strong endorsement of just how good Paul Roos was.

I’d say Longmire has emulated him. He’s arguably had an even better coaching career than Roos. Both have a flag each but Longmire has consistently had the Swans contending whereas Roos led teams were only really a chance in 2005, 2006 and 2003. 70% win rate for Longmire compared to Roos’ 59% at the Swans.

Bolton would be under pressure especially if Carlton does not progress offensively in 2018.

Carlton two best players from 2017 are no longer available and Bolton has not been guaranteed a contract extension.

Longmire and Goodwin have both not quite managed to emulate the man who made them - IMO not so much a failure on their behalf, rather a strong endorsement of just how good Paul Roos was.
The same Goodwin that's had one year as senior coach and took our list to about 0.5% from the 8?

Sorry, just thought you were confused with someone else.

I always figured that due to age imbalance they would get worse before they got better - can see them dropping off a bit this year before making a charge in 2-3 years time.
Don't think you can really get worse before getting better. St Kilda should be moving him on if things aren't a drastic improvement this year. St Kilda have really only had two successful coaches in their history.

Probably should be Buckley, but can't see any movement there after just signing an extension.

I'd say Bolton, but rather unfairly. A club that is eager for success and will expect improvement, but I think their lack of 23-28 year olds will see real improvement not come just yet. Doesn't have a term-based contract either, so could go at any time.

Hinkley given the list moves in the offseason.
Needs a finals win and probably a prelim berth (or just missing one)
The window is open for port but it won’t stay open long.

Richardson and Goodwin could come under pressure if they miss finals

I’ll throw Chris Scott in too. Has had a lot of luck with talent seeking out Geelong but has not capitalised. The 2011 flag was inherited. Cats have shown a lot of patience with him based on H&A results.

Dimma is by far the most under pressure imo. Has to back it up and doesn't have the list to do so confidently. But Buckley is more probable to go sooner.
I know Geelong fans carry a special level of salt unattainable by most, but this blokes continued trolling in various threads is unbelievable. I actually almost applaud you for your persistence.

In no particular order, right now?

Buckley, for obvious reasons. However I think at the bye we won't be talking about him and Pies going OK
Goodwin, same right now. But I expect Dees to finish top 4.
Adam Simpson. I think WC are in a mini rebuild, and this will hurt him.

Mid/end of year....Richardson. I can see other teams going past the Saints, who will struggle imo to make the 8.

Bucks and Chris Scott.

If Geelong go off the rails Scott's coaching will come under question very quickly.

Oh yeah,and Simpson. I think his and West coasts flaws have been exposed since we took Don pyke from them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In particular order:
Bev, gotta get em back in top 4 to avoid the fluke lapel.
Pyke, inactive when challenged. Got beaten up by oppo coach when it mattered. Hoping best team all year would just win the GF by power standing.
Simpson, gotta beat this soft downhill lapel.
The Buckley Eddie biumvirate. Ed has bet all chips on a low EQ coach.
Cameron: disasterous selections in PF helped lose that game, not to mention lack of off ball pressure in the game plan.
Wickers: needs to win a GF in a contest. These park walk premierships are meaningless.
Lyon: can he build from youth, having shown an aversion to it much of his career?

Richardson and Buckley a clear top two, not just because they’re under pressure to perform but because their respective squads are the least equipped to meet the club’s expectation, which I would assume is to play finals. Cameron and Goodwin will be under pressure to play finals but they have the cattle to do it fairly comfortably.

Wonder if the eagles would sack simpson if they finished bottom 6?

I reckon if they miss the 8 they will start fresh without him. Losing Mitchell and Priddis will make it easier to bully them around the clearances if Nataunui takes time to get back to speed

Also a big difference between internal (club) and external (fans and media) pressure.

Goodwin and Buckley will be under enormous pressure externally if things start to slide, Bucks moreso. Internally Goodwin will continue to have the support of the executive and realistically isn’t going to get sacked in his second year. Buckley has Archangel Eddie looking out for him but certainly would not want to go backwards.

I don’t know enough about Richo’s situation but I would think with the time he’s had at the club, going backwards now wouldn’t bode well for his immediate future.

Anything less than top four would likely see Cameron shown the door but as I alluded to before it’s something of a moot point because I can’t see how they won’t make top four with the squad that they have.

This thread is self explanatory, with the pre-season in full swing which coach will be under the most pressure to perform in 2018?

For mine Goodwin will be under an enormous amount of pressure; we should have made finals last year and anything less will be seen as a step back this year. Supporters patience is wearing thin too, 11 years without finals is a very long time.
So a coach who goes 12-10 in his first season is the most under the pump coach in his second season?

Hinkley given the list moves in the offseason.
Needs a finals win and probably a prelim berth (or just missing one)
The window is open for port but it won’t stay open long.

Richardson and Goodwin could come under pressure if they miss finals

I’ll throw Chris Scott in too. Has had a lot of luck with talent seeking out Geelong but has not capitalised. The 2011 flag was inherited. Cats have shown a lot of patience with him based on H&A results.
Very good post. Hinkley just not being mentioned enough. It's all 'Scott, Scott, Goodwin (lol), Richardson and Buckley'.

What's Hinkley done at Port other than one decent year in 2014? Huge off field trading this year to bring in mature aged players, surely that just pushes 3 kids out of the side, which is fine if they go deep into finals.

2017 was a disaster imo. Beat up on lower ranked teams, yet didn't beat anyone in the top 8 all year. They then lost to the team branded the biggest flat track bullies in WC in their home final.

Port were the definition of flat track bullies in 2017, and Hinkley enters 2018 under the most pressure.

I don’t know enough about Richo’s situation but I would think with the time he’s had at the club, going backwards now wouldn’t bode well for his immediate future.
As I said in my post on Richo on the first page of this thread, he's just signed a two year contract extension, taking him to the end of 2020, so I reckon the club knows where we're at, and that he still has a very young and inexperienced group to work with, and that as such they want him to be able to do what he needs to do, without worrying about his personal future in the role.

He's overseen a huge overhaul in a list that was extremely unbalanced (either very young, or near the end, and little of substance in between) and we have IMO improved in each of our last 3 years, so it's hard to complain too much about that.

Last edited:
Back