Strategy Which Coaching Staff Should We Be Targetting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
With the dire state of our playing list, most of our efforts have been looking at upcoming drafts, trades, retirements and delistings.
However, I think that is actually a secondary issue to the incompetent state of our coaching panel.
Understaffed, underqualified and underperforming.
I'm not sure what the point of drafting new players would be if we have no idea how to coach and develop them.

On that note, who should we be targeting to improve our coaching staff?
I only have a cursory understanding of this, I'm sure there are better informed people out there than I
With that disclaimer, here are some names that I'd look at (some may be unpopular).

Senior Assistant:
Brad Scott (AFL) - Unsure if he would leave a cushy AFL job to move to Adelaide, but if he still has an interest in coaching he's one I would look at. Could play the tough cop to Nicky's good cop and would have great contacts in the league and AFL house.
John Barker (Carlton) - Has been around a fair while and even briefly was an interim coach. Would have experience building up a young side and could assist the midfield coach with stoppages.
Paul Roos (None) - Has taken a break from Fox Footy work as far as I know. Would have coached Nicks for a few years, could play a mentor role to him again.

Midfield:
Robert Harvey (Collingwood) - Not much hope of this one but he seems to be a popular choice and has worked with a lot of talented players.
Matthew Knights (Geelong) - Mildura boy who played for a terrible team during his time. Seems to have done a good job there.
Tadgh Kennelly (Sydney) - Would have played with Nicks and has done a decent job in his time at Sydney, could try to lure him out of his comfort zone of the Swans.
Adam Skrobalak (St Kilda) - Super highly rated and the club love him. No idea how you'd get him over here.

Forwards:
Craig McRae (Richmond) - Comes from a well respected team, won a recent VFL coaching award and formerly from SA.
Brad Miller (GWS) - Coached the NEAFL team and has the GWS forwards looking pretty good. Would have worked briefly with Nicks. Dad was a gun coach too.

Defence:
Aaron Hamill (St Kilda) - Really like the improvements from St Kilda and has done well with the movement out of defence and a relatively mediocre set of talent to work with there.
Nathan Bassett (Port) - Never going to happen but one of the few ex-Crows who would shake things up.
Chris Newman (VFL?) - Not too sure where he is now, but he spent some time under Clarko I believe and was meant to be a great coach in the VFL.

Ruck:
Ben Hudson (Brisbane) - Has seemed to have done a good job over a long period of time there. Unlikely to want to leave a talented team on the rise but may be willing to come back to the club that drafted him.

Other:
Scott Borlace (Brisbane) - Head of Development there, seems to be popular and doing a good job, may want to come back to SA.
Sam Lonergan (Richmond) - Development Coach. Was Senior Coach in the SANFL recently before heading to Richmond, could be interested in a bigger role.

Last edited:
Who is the midfield coach at the Roos? They are killing it this year with clearances, and Cunnington has been injured a lot too

The head of fitness from either Port or Geelong would be good.

Both teams always look super fit, have * all injuries and seem to manage their older players well.

The head of fitness from either Port or Geelong would be good.

Both teams always look super fit, have fu** all injuries and seem to manage their older players well.
Nakia Cockatoo and Matt Broadbent disagree

Who we will probably get
Richie Douglas
Andy Otten

My ideal gets
Jarryd Roughead
Jordan Lewis
Dale Morris
Nathan Bassett

Who’s the cheapest, least experienced, least qualified option and mates with Roo?

That’s who we’ll get.

Promotions for Reilly and Wright (if we haven't done so already).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’ll be able to hire a new body, as Nicks alluded to in the presser today - why the hell did we let Mattner go?

(Please no one reply saying ‘he chose to leave‘ - we told him we’d be letting him go at the end of 2020)

Because Nicks has someone else he wants as defensive coach (rumour is Bassett).
Isn’t there some sort of gift between Roo and Bassett? Read some sort of rumour on here, though don’t know the back story.

A lot of Port fans would be happy to see the back of him

Surely Nicks is smart enough to realise that historically you only get 1 chance at this head coaching gig. Budget is the only thing restricting him from putting together a quality coaching panel at the end of the year...there’s a few available/vulnerable atm with cutbacks.
Interesting to see if Nicks has the cajones to get what he wants...

Surely Nicks is smart enough to realise that historically you only get 1 chance at this head coaching gig. Budget is the only thing restricting him from putting together a quality coaching panel at the end of the year...there’s a few available/vulnerable atm with cutbacks.
Interesting to see if Nicks has the cajones to get what he wants...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back