Which country produces the best comedy?

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I grew up on Hancock.

He still makes me laugh even to this day.

Fawlty Towers still makes me LOL too.

But I'll freely admit that quality UK comedy has been sadly lacking in recent years.

Alan Partridge has been good.

But overall, in the battle as to who produces the best comedy...

It's probably the USA. Nothing the Brits have ever done can ever compare to Seinfeld.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Seinfeld was on par with Friends for humour.

giphy.gif

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Favorite stand ups- Bill Burr, Ricky Gervais, Steve Hughes, George Carlin, Patrice O'Neal, Bill Hicks, Jimmy Carr, Dave Chappelle, Frankie Boyle.

Best live show I've seen- Steve Hughes.

Hardest I've ever laughed viewing a series- First viewing of Fawlty Towers, can't watch it anymore though, must have seen each episode at least a dozen times. Seinfeld a very close 2nd.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The UK Sketch show was brilliant. IT Crowd.

Would I Lie to You and 8 out of 10 cats still has genuinely funny moments.

Gary Gulman aside, the US just doesn't do subtlety well.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Britain and USA are the only contenders. And for me Britain wins easily.

Monty Python was hit and miss but there were moment of genius such as the Parrot sketch, I'd like to have an Argument, Nudge Nudge, Lumberjacks, Upper Class Twit Of The Year. The movies Holy Grail and Life of Brian are consistent top quality silliness.

Fawlty Towers is comedy gold.

Black Adder was consistently brilliant in series 2, 3 and 4.

The Office was pioneering in its awkward mockumentary sitcom style.

Other top comedy from the UK includes : Pete and Dud, The Goodies, The Young Ones, Little Britain, Red Dwarf, Mr Bean, Dad's Army, Porridge, Yes Minister, Absolutely Fabulous.

USA gets the silver medal for Seinfeld, Friends, The Simpsons, South Park. All quality material but personally I was never into any of them so much. Team America World Police is right up there.

The Young Ones came at the perfect age for me, I loved the slapstick and was just starting to take a real interest in politics too. Lines like "Neil, the bathroom's free unlike this country under this Thatcherite junta" really made me prick up my ears. I'll add The Royle Family to the list of great British shows, you'd think six people sitting around watching tele and talking would be boring but the dialogue and acting are just superb.

Back