Opinion Which current North player would you want kicking for goal from 60m after the siren?

Plus John Elliot trying to buy our club of course. Long may they suffer!

My fave John Elliot joke courtesy of Sammy Newman. Was MCing a gig one day with Sam and he said - I hear John Elliot is trying to buy Melbourne Victory. Gonna change their name to Pigs Arsenal.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My fave John Elliot joke courtesy of Sammy Newman. Was MCing a gig one day with Sam and he said - I hear John Elliot is trying to buy Melbourne Victory. Gonna change their name to Pigs Arsenal.

Not bad.

Sat behind him on a flight to Tassie a few years ago (on the way to watch us lose to WC), he was flying economy and looked a broken man. Can't believe he's still alive tbh. 40 a day for 40 years.

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure why people think LMac is a long kick - maybe it's his wind up but it's an urban myth.. He rarely makes the distance from 55 when he runs past for a handball and if he does he misses near side.

Polec, Tarrant, Hall, Ziebull, Campbell and Pittard have all kicked drop punt goals from 60 in their careers.

The kick would be smothered. The umpire would wrongly adjudicate the man on the mark overstepped. We could then all close our eyes as he lines up 10 out. Another smother or goal is anyone's guess.

adas

All Australian
Mar 22, 2010
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was watching Carey highlights (as you do) the other day, and it is remarkable how many times he would take a mark well outside 50, run back behind the mark, and flush the drop punt into the second row.

Got me thinking that it’s an absolute rarity for players to take the shot from outside 50 in the modern era.

The King did it with ease.

Ahhhhhh the good days...

Greatest kick of all time? My old man was right on the wing that day apparently, mind-blowing scenes.

I was on the outer wing too mate, and no, I am not your father! I was an 8yr old, eager to rush home post Blighty’s match winner to ride up and down my street on the dragster in my woollen North jumper and beanie holding a huge homemade North flag (like any of the neighbours gave a crap). As a young North member that day had me feeling like we were the kings of the world. I’d never seen anything like it!

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a young North member that day had me feeling like we were the kings of the world. I’d never seen anything like it!

I remember feeling like this after wins in the '90s. Beating Hawthorn by 20 goals in '94 (for the first time in 10+ years I think) springs to mind. I was so used to winning that losses were hard to understand. Hard to compare any win to one like the Blight torp win though I imagine.
It's bittersweet in hindsight, because when you are a kid in an era of success that's all you know, and you think it'll always be like that...still, far better to start up than down!

I remember feeling like this after wins in the '90s. Beating Hawthorn by 20 goals in '94 (for the first time in 10+ years I think) springs to mind. I was so used to winning that losses were hard to understand. Hard to compare any win to one like the Blight torp win though I imagine.
It's bittersweet in hindsight, because when you are a kid in an era of success that's all you know, and you think it'll always be like that...still, far better to start up than down!

Oh yeah, the 90’s were unbelievable. I spent almost all of it inebriated going from celebratory beers at the footy to The Other Clubs till dawn.

As for who I’d have kick from 60M of the current crop.............Tarrant.

Hard to beat as greatest ever. I was there. People forget - Blighty kicked 3 rippers in time on to win the game off his own boot. We were gone. They were all cracker goals. The winning kick sensational. A good family friend was working in the social club serving the Carlton directors - she hated them them. As Blighty lined up the last kick they were all laughing saying no way he could kick that. She kept muttering under her breath - kick it please, kick it please. As the Carlton head honchos all fell back in their chairs devastated she cheered - a somewhat muted cheer but enough to get the glares. Dawn has gone to God now but I loved her telling that story at family parties. Ironically she was a go dees supporter - she just hated Carlton.

I was at that game. Apart from the much replayed after-the-siren torp, the one I still remember was the banana from the right pocket. It was perfectly executed.

Back