Opinion Which current North player would you want kicking for goal from 60m after the siren?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zurharr. I reckon he is one of the few players we have with the confidence/arrogance to execute under pressure.

Edit: didn't realise from 60 out. Point remains though.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He wouldn't crack 60 mate.

Anyone that has seen Tom Campbell line up shots at training would know he's the only one that can nail this distance with regularity. It's a freakshow, even compared to all the other professional footballers down there with him.

The bottom line is in the 1990's we had 10 players who could kick goals from outside 50m on a regular basis. Twenty years later we have zero. Great sports science & player development in my book. Is it human revolution that the human body can't kick a ball 50m+ anymore, or has it been coached out of the game? I'd say it's the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bottom line is in the 1990's we had 10 players who could kick goals from outside 50m on a regular basis. Twenty years later we have zero. Great sports science & player development in my book. Is it human revolution that the human body can't kick a ball 50m+ anymore, or has it been coached out of the game? I'd say it's the ladder.

Coached out of the game for sure.

1. Is just not being practised enough. Like fast bowling in cricket, powerlifting, javelin throwing or NFL punting, you've just sometimes got to get the CNS used to letting loose and going for distance above all.
2. The sports science has all been focused on keeping the ball low and accuracy over short distances. Apart from that, Australia's main sports (cricket, footy) are woefully lagging behind other sports when it comes to applying biomechanical concepts regarding the kinetic chain and sequencing to our own sports.

I remember Fev saying quite a few years ago that goal kicking became harder when the started using many new balls for each game.
He said that when there was only one ball, you would knock a bit of shine off it and soften it up slightly. From that point, kicking the thing straight got easier.
Not sure if this also effects penetration but it could.

3/4s cant make the distance from 45 judging by last weeks game. 60? i dont think we have anyone.

Robbie.

Luke on a wind up would give it a shake.

Just on the Blight goal. With the recent passing of Mike Williamson, there has been a lot of talk about his commentary and some of the his classic lines in big games that have gone down in history, ie: "Jesaulenko, you beauty" and so forth, history of his calling of the Blight goal is well known, what isn't so much is what he described when the crowd invaded the ground and Blight was being chaired off, you don't hear on this youtube version, but i'll always remember Williamson's cries of "I Have Seen It All Now, I HAVE SEEN IT ALL"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back