Which footballer do you feel is underrated because they played for an unsuccessful team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not underrated but certainly played in an unsuccessful team, Trevor Barker. As a Carlton supporter growing up in the 80's and used to trouncing the Saints, he was possibly the only one that I thought would go alright in the Carlton side. (and yes that includes locket who I thought did not have the mentality to be any good)

Daryl Creswell - Sydney, All Australian and Best and Fairest winner played 244 games and made the Sydney Team of the Century,

sadly, no one remembers he was really even a footballer anymore, he’s now known as a fraudster and gambling addict

Daryn*

I’ll forever remember him for banging his kneecap back into place :sick:

David Neitz was a gun. Very rarely spoken about
Brad Green too.

Stef Martin has probably been the #3 ruckman in the comp for nearly a decade (behind Cox and Sandi, then Gawn & Grundy of late) whilst playing for 2/3 of the worst clubs in that time.

I was always a big fan of David Hille too.

Yeah nah, Todd Goldstein.

Martin's good, but levels below the triple Gs.

Matthew Larkin for North.

Three best and fairests in a really crap team, played State of Origin.

Won goal of the year. Quality player cursed by poor timing.

Daryl Creswell - Sydney, All Australian and Best and Fairest winner played 244 games and made the Sydney Team of the Century,

sadly, no one remembers he was really even a footballer anymore, he’s now known as a fraudster and gambling addict

Creswell was the first name that popped into my head. He's also known for slapping his kneecap back into place down at the Cattery one day.

David Grant from St Kilda, reminded me a lot of Gavin Brown, as brave as they came and very strong overhead.

Brett Lovett from Melbourne (not Glenn), a slothful looking player but effective. He was good enough to play in the Big V when the sides were full of superstars in '89 and '90.

David Cloke is one I'll throw in. He was a 2 time premiership player, including one in his first season but over 333 games he only played in 13 finals. He was an unco looking player with his awkward kicking style but he was a very effective and intelligent player and, imo, underrated outside of the two clubs that he played with.

Richard Osborne /thread
Ossie was a gifted, freakish champion half forward who kicked 574 goals for some terrible teams. Great player to watch. Always stood out. He played in the 83-84-86 finals for Fitzroy. But from 1987-1998, he played in mostly bottom four teams (Lions, Swans, Dogs, Pies)

Robert Harvey - all-time great who only played in one PF & GF in his first 16 seasons while he was still at his peak.
Garry Wilson - champion of the game who would be remembered more fondly if he'd played in Grand Finals for Carlton or Collingwood
Bernie Quinlan - versatile all-time great who played in a few finals series late in his career when was at full forward
Matthew Pavlich - same as Bernie Quinlan
Spida Everitt - f.wit of a bloke, but he was one of the most talented ruckman ever
Stewart Loewe - Buckets was the best pack mark I've ever seen
Brent Harvey - one of the greats, his career is undersold by many on here
Brad Johnson - same as Brent Harvey
Matthew Larkin and Peter German - North's gun midfielders from the mid-to-late 80's
Tony Liberatore - gutsy champ who was a one-man in & under tackling machine for the Bulldogs
Peter Foster - underrated Bulldog CHB in the 80's

Hawthorn's John Peck is barely remembered these days, but he was the league's leading goalkicker for 3 successive years in the mid 60's.

Mark Graham was an underrated versatile Hawk defender in the 90's and early 2000's who often punched above his weight at FB and CHB

Melbourne suffered a 25 year finals drought through the 1970's and 80's. The great Robbie Flower overshadowed Melbourne's other guns from that era: Greg Wells, Gary Hardeman, Stan Alves, Stephen Smith, Steven Icke and Alan Johnson. Laurie Fowler was a great half back flanker for the Dees - best remembered from his Richmond days when he played in the 73-74 flags

South Melbourne 70's guns: Norm Goss, Mark Browning and Peter Bedford, who won the 1970 Brownlow but should be rated higher than he is.
Sydney Swans 80's: Stephen Wright formed a great roving combo with Bernie Evans and then Barry Mitchell.

Fitzroy 70's/80's guns (besides Wilson, Quinlan and Ossie): Warwick Irwin, David McMahon, Harvey Merrigan, Laurie Serafini, Bob Beecroft and Matty Rendell

Agree with OP about Paul Broderick. Good player. Other Fitzroy guns from the 90's who switched clubs: Ross Lyon, Matty Armstrong, Darren Kappler. John Blakey, Stephen Paxman and Alastair Lynch went on to enjoy premiership success at their new clubs, so they don't fit the thread premise. Lynchy was a much better footballer than many people remember. He was more than the 70/80 goal a year gorilla for the 3peat Lions. He was a budding champion CHF for Fitzroy just before his illness, who was also named All Australian full back as a youngster.

Unlucky Richmond stalwarts: Richo, Benny Gale, Matthew Knights, Wayne Campbell, Darren Gaspar, Joel Bowden, Chris Newman
Richo and Knighta got their individual accolades but the others were definitely underrated because of the Tigers' lack of success.

Geelong had a lean period through the 70's and 80's. Their best players in that time were the great Gary Ablett and gun defenders: Ian Nankervis and Gary Malarkey. Less-heralded, underrated guns: Peter Featherby, Jack Hawkins, Mark Bos, David Clarke, Andrew Bews. I'll even be magnanimous and say Neville Bruns was a pretty good wingman.

St Kilda 1974-2004: Jeff Sarau, Bruce Duperouzel, George Young, Joffa Cunningham, Greg Burns and David Grant. Rob Harvey, Stewy Loewe and Spida Everitt already mentioned. Plugger, Winmar, Spud Frawley, Nathan Burke and Trevor Barker weren't underrated. They got their dues.

Port: Brett Ebert, Brad Ebert

Freo: Shane Parker

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brent Harvey playing in unsuccessful teams according to post above.

He won a premiership. Played in two grand finals.

Off the top of my head played in seven prelims.

Probably played in 20 plus finals in his career.

People forget that Harvey was top shelf in a great team very early in his career. In 98 and 99, he was an important member of grand final teams.

Brent Moloney, i used to love watching him play. really was an underrated player. Used to be one of the best to get the ball from a clearance run forward with the ball tucked under his arm and speed, have a bounce or 2 then hit a leading forward up lace out on the chest. His explosiveness out of the contest reminds me of Dangerfield or Jack Steven. He could also win his own ball to, Was the complete midfielder and would be perfectly suited to todays football even though he only retired several years ago.

Brad Miller was another one from the Dees who i always rated very highly, i remember a game back in the mid 2000s (roughly) where he had a record 15 marks at half time or something rediculous like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back