Which Footy Club Leads the Way in Social Issues?

Which Footy Club Leads The Way in Social Issues?

• Adelaide

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Carlton

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Essendon

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 57 28.9%
  • Port

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Richmond

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • Sydney Swans

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • West Coast

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
When it comes to social responsibility, issues such as Racism, Equality, Sexism, Aboriginal welfare, LGBTQI, Addiction, etcetera..

Which club does it well and which clubs are lacking?

Should clubs be leading the way these types of areas?

Should clubs focus only on footy?

When it comes to social responsibility, issues such as Racism, Equality, Sexism, Aboriginal welfare, LGBTQI, Addiction, etcetera..

Which club does it well and which clubs are lacking?

Should clubs be leading the way these types of areas?

Should clubs focus only on footy?

So tell me whether clubs are entitled to hold different views on all issues, or do you have a memorandum on each that a club needs to sign up to?

Is it just PC nonsense or a particular view of the world you are looking for? Your views perhaps?

Something that involves many clubs as a legal entity are the pokies, legal for clubs in some States, some clubs in Melbourne are claiming credit for getting out of them (some whilst they are still banking the profits) .... are club members expected to follow some edict?

Yes, I think its bloody nonsense Cheapy !! Footy clubs for footy please, politics are a different matter, religion different again .... one size does not fit all.

Last edited:
Geelong covers quite a wide range of issues through the Community programs most notably the award-winning work they have done with the Just Think program some of which are listed here.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/club/community

Joining in with the "my club is" crowd but am genuinely proud of what North does. The no pokies thing and the huddle are two huge Pros for our club.

st kilda have gone above and beyond on various issues. they are very socially conscious. our own fans criticise how much we do.
If only they put as much effort into something like winning games

Joining in with the "my club is" crowd but am genuinely proud of what North does. The no pokies thing and the huddle are two huge Pros for our club.

I know it's easy for an Eagles fan to make fun of North and we have a rivalry on BigFooty with our Brad Scott weeks and all but genuine respect for how North go about it.

And of course, thanks for Simmo... :)

The AFL tell the clubs how to behave and what to stand for, they are all identical and for the life of me I can't see any difference in any of them.
You can predict when any issue comes up what will be the line from the club or the AFL, what the club really thinks is not relevant. Its about how the club is seen by the public so they all say the same thing. What the public want to hear is all that matters, whether there is a right or wrong or not. All that matters is the clubs supporters feel warm and fuzzy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL tell the clubs how to behave and what to stand for, they are all identical and for the life of me I can't see any difference in any of them.
You can predict when any issue comes up what will be the line from the club or the AFL, what the club really thinks is not relevant. Its about how the club is seen by the public so they all say the same thing. What the public want to hear is all that matters, whether there is a right or wrong or not. All that matters is the clubs supporters feel warm and fuzzy.
Little things vary I think, but on the whole you're right.

WC have a very good rep for looking after their players, during and after their careers.

To toot our own horn our academy maintained the services to players like Brander after they were ruled ineligible with the Riverina thing.

These guys had a development programme in place. Without wanting to get into a shitfight about the rights and wrongs of the changes, it could have been detrimental to them to disrupt it after a commitment had been given.

Last edited:
Literally couldn't give a ****. I'd rather my club focused on winning games than frantically searching social media for the next flash cause to support

That approach almost destroyed West Coast post 2006, though.

Pretty much all clubs are doing a lot in this regard I'd suggest. North have their pokies ban, St Kilda and Sydney with the pride game. Everyone supports indigenous round, multicultural round, and are investing in programs like women's football and wheelchair football to improve accessibility to the game.

st kilda have gone above and beyond on various issues. they are very socially conscious. our own fans criticise how much we do.

Teenage girls, dwarves, everyone is fair game with the Saints #embracediversity

Back