Opinion Which former Richmond players would be superstars if they played in the current team?

Jono_Hain97

All Australian
Dec 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
A player’s success depends very often depends on the club he is drafted to, rather than the other way around. During the lost years, we saw a lot of promising players who didn’t quite make it. Here is a list of Richmond players who if they were drafted today, would likely have long and successul careers:

1. Jay Schultz- He showed what he could do when he kicked 6 goals against Brisbane, in one of his first ever games, but injuries and inconsistency meant that we never saw the best of him. While he went on to have a respectable career at port adelaide, one cannot help but wonder how he would go in the current Richmond lineup. With our fast ball movement and quality medical staff, Schultz would likely be fit and firing in our already star studed forward line

2. Andrew Collins- He had some flashes of brilliance, but like so many others he only played a handful of great games before struggling to have an impact at senior level. At his best he was lethal around the goals, and in our current team, he would get plenty of opportunity to hit the scorebord

3. Jeremy Weberley- A classy outside player with good foot skills, who showed a lot of potential in his first season. He would slot nicely into Brandon Ellis’ old position, and with Cotchin, Martin and Prestia around him, he would likely be a very good outside midfielder for a long time to come

4. Richard Tambling- Was the decision to take Richard Tambling one pick before Buddy Franklin the biggest blunder of the 21st century? Without question. But he was by no means a terrible footballer. He had pace to burn and pretty good foot skills as well. Unfortunately for Tambling, he was drafted during a very weak era, where we had virtually no quality senior players, to fill the void. As a result, him and Brett Deledio were left to shoulder the load in the midfield from day one, and while the latter thrived under these conditions, being an undersized starting midfielder from the getgo was a bit much for Tambling. As a result, we never really saw him string a consistent season together. But with Martin and co doing a majority of thr heavy lifting, Tambling would likely be a very handy player in our starting lineup.

5. Ben Nason- He looks a bit like Gyran Miers and is first year, was very plesurable to watch. He averaged almost a goal a game and played with plenty of spirit and enthusiasm. But just one year later he was delisted. Nason was very small, but with Lynch and Jack bringing the ball to ground as often as they do, Nason would feel right at home with our other small crumbing forwards at their feet

6. Daniel Connors- He was an absolute steal in the 2006 draft, as Champion data rated him a top 10 player. But he slipped all the way to us at pick 50. Unforuantely despite his tremendous talent, he got himself sacked due to disciplinary reasons. Given the fact we were lacking in senior leaders at the time, Connors quickly found himself out the door. But with Cotchin at the helm as skipper, we could likely see this troubled youngster turn his life around- in the same way as Martin and Pickett and have a successful onfield career.

7. Troy Taylor- The sky was the limit for this talented kid when he walked through our doors, but due to mental health reasons, he soon left the club and returned home after just one season. With the AFL doing more to raise awareness for mental health and show compassion and support to players battling depression, we cannot help but wonder what would happen if Troy Taylor was drafted today. He would likely be talked about as the next Dustin Martin and if he could find peace with in himself mentally, his potential would have been limitless

8. Matt White- He was often a whipping boy during the Terry Wallace days, but just as he was starting to find consistency, Port Adelaide made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. However, the opportunity to play in a premiership, may have been enough to sway him if he was still playing today. His pace and ability to kick a long goal, would perfectly compliment our high pressure game plan

9. Matthew Arnot- Despite his massive build, Arnot struggled to break into our starting lineup. He is very much in the Jack Graham mould- as he doesn’t get a lot of the ball, but has a strong body and is a tackling machine. These atteibutes would likely earn him a spot in our midfield, and with quality onballers around him, he likely would have developed into a fine contested player

10. Jake Bachelor- He wasn’t quite tall enough to play as a key position defender, but due to a lack of quality talls during his era, this is exactly where he played. I still remember him getting towelled up by Jarrad Waite in the 2015 elimination final, which likely cost us the match. However, with Grimes, Broad and Asbury around him, Bachelor would now be able to play on forwards more suited to his build and with his good foot skills and ability to take an intercept mark, he would likely have gone on to have a long and successful career, if he were to be drafted today

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Agreed with some of those.

always rated White highly, definitely was with us at the wrong time.

As for Connors, well there's some even a great culture wouldn't be able to fix. Yeah we have a good culture, but our leaders aren't miracles workers. He will have been just as much of a screw up in our current team and would be negative to club culture imo.

Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely can't agree with some, Webberly was an average and slow outside player with meh disposal. Collins had his moments but he had the body of a 12 year old and his time at Carlton was catastrophically bad, we robbed them blind with the Grigg trade. Batch was slow and undersized, a bad combo.

I still stand by McBean being unfairly treated at this time here, he was a unique player that we could've sat with for a little longer.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
4. Richard Tambling- Was the decision to take Richard Tambling one pick before Buddy Franklin the biggest blunder of the 21st century? Without question.
Sorry thats BS.
Tambling was the 3rd worst behind Melbourne ignoring Dusty TWICE!

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Deledio was a champion though and became a great player. The point of the thread is guys who didn’t make it but would have in the current line up
Lids was a very good player but in my opinion he wasn't close to being a champion .
Champions change games and turn games your way ,Lids very rarely turned a game .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree with Matt White - his pace and endeavour would have been a perfect fit for our current full pressure style, followed by the fast, forward-handpassing breakout. Imagine him getting one of Shed's 'special' deliveries in the centre and getting on his bike.
Another one I'll throw in is Nick Daffy (not so much his mate Chris Naish). Chaos ball would have suited him perfectly.

Alex Gilmour was probably unlucky to come to Richmond in 2004 really (Pick21 2003). Was the youngest player picked in the draft and found moving from the Apple Isle hard. If he were in our current player development squad it would have been fantastic for him. He had great hands and was a quick mover.

Played with Coburg for much of 2004, as we know a disastrous year for the Tiges, did manage a 7 goal haul in Round 14 for Coburg. He never quite cracked it in 2005 and when you consider how well we went with our 2005 draft picks, another year for the young Gilmour wouldn't have hurt. But, it was Wallace's first season and he had his way and Beck's boy was delisted. He had more in him as he showed back in Tassie

Gilmour return to Tassie Premier League team Brighton in 2006 and coached them at age 20. Played for the VFL Tassie Devils side. Playing/coached Tassie Richmond side to 5 Grand Finals and two flags (2017 and 2019 kicking 6 himself). Was due to take up playing/coach role at Hobart FC in 2020.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I remember being shocked at Nason’s delisting. His first year was decent
(played 19 games) and made me hopeful he’d cement his place in the team. He then struggled to crack into the team in his second year. And then he gets delisted? Did not get a chance to atone for his second-year blues at all.

Don’t know about superstar but I think he was better than what his career suggested and would have benefited greatly from the opportunity we give to youngsters nowadays (most get at least 4 years to prove themselves). This and his pace would make him my pick for this thread.

My other one was McBean. Ooo boy if he had the senior opportunity that some of the youngsters get nowadays then I think he’d end up finding his feet and potentially become a superstar. He is a talented footballer. But that is just my opinion and I realise others disagree with this.

I thought Batch could lay a good tackle and had a footy brain...earlier version of Broady ...could have been better under our current coaching regime...

Batch in his earliest seasons, while not the quickest, had that uncanny ability to play the angles to his advantage. He lost that sadly.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
I find it amusingly ironic that here we are debating the merits of a group of players, many of them no more than plodders, making it under our current regime, yet on another thread posters are talking down players who made significant and meaningful contributions to our clubs - that is Bowden and Newman - as players who would not get a game in our current side.
Are people seriously suggesting the likes of Arnot, Webberley, Nason, Batchelor and Collins would thrive and players of the ilk of Bowden and Newman couldn't fit in?
Give me a BREAK!!

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Deledio was a champion though and became a great player. The point of the thread is guys who didn’t make it but would have in the current line up
Deledio was incredibly good but for much of his career he was simply our best mid and got tagged. By the time Cotch/Dusty took that load he wasn't as good. Would undoubtedly be much better in our current team imo.
To be fair though pretty much all players are better in better teams, if we list Deledio types it's pretty much everyone so probably good to look for bigger improvements.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
I find it amusingly ironic that here we are debating the merits of a group of players, many of them no more than plodders, making it under our current regime, yet on another thread posters are talking down players who made significant and meaningful contributions to our clubs - that is Bowden and Newman - as players who would not get a game in our current side.
Are people seriously suggesting the likes of Arnot, Webberley, Nason, Batchelor and Collins would thrive and players of the ilk of Bowden and Newman couldn't fit in?
Give me a BREAK!!
It's all just a way to stay connected when there is no real footy. It's all subjective and if some want to wax lyrical about Ben Nason... so what.
Personally, I would have loved to see Michael Pickering in the current side.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
It's all just a way to stay connected when there is no real footy. It's all subjective and if some want to wax lyrical about Ben Nason... so what.
Personally, I would have loved to see Michael Pickering in the current side.

Not against the concept, Anfield .. not at all.
But telling me there's no room for players of the ilk of Bowden and Newman in our current line up and then saying Webberley would be a good fit. Reality?
Pickering would be great in this current line-up and any other line-up before it.
The cream rises.

Give me a BREAK!!

Sounds like you might need one. Everyone is different Wooden Robot, hell, some robots are even metal and plastic - imagine that. I doubt too many would want to squeeze out anyone from the modern list. It's all a bit of fun....................

I actually thought Nathan Gordon showed some promise. Had a decent size and looked like he could run all day.
Just never seemed to be in the right spots.

My summary as well, OK player always in the wrong place on the ground - come to think of it, I can relate to that :think: :oops:

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Sounds like you might need one. Everyone is different Wooden Robot, hell, some robots are even metal and plastic - imagine that. I doubt too many would want to squeeze out anyone from the modern list. It's all a bit of fun....................

Well, I'll add Relton Roberts, David Gourdis and Ty Esler to the list of players who would undoubtedly thrive in this environment.
And Corey Ellis. Hmm, oh wait!

Last edited:

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Give me a BREAK!!
OP said that thread was more about the players who didnt make it who would have in our current side.

Back