Which giants will be blues in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We will take a number again at the end of the year and continue leveraging that trading relationship as best we can.

Hopper this year and then grab Setterfield and maybe Taranto the year after that

It's just the natural cycle of things how many quality midfielders can any one team retain ? whilst a buoyant academy keeps supplying? Same for talls some crazy over supply in some teams and more with more comming this year .
So just a natural course of things

Why now?
Didnt when we had to cut the list. Now we dont.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Agree we'll take one quality midfielder and I think it's between Hopper or Kelly GWS can not possibly retain them all.
Hopefully we have a good look at Schache too

Agree we'll take one quality midfielder and I think it's between Hopper or Kelly GWS can not possibly retain them all.
Hopefully we have a good look at Schache too

Hahaha you are going to offer more than North for Kelly? Hopper will stay.

Its a Sunday night mate, probably shouldn't be hitting the sauce that hard.

haha this thread. But in all seriousness, I can see Hopper and M Kennedy being targeted. I personally think one of those players could leave at the end of the year whether that is to Carlton or not. If I were Carlton, Hopper would be my priority. Think Carlton need to add to their midfield stocks as the likes of Murphy and Gibbs are approaching their 30s and I think Cripps can do with some more inside support. Cripps and Hopper could work very well together as two inside beasts. GWS would be desperate to keep Hopper though and I can see him staying at the Giants. Will be interesting to see what happens with Hopper in particular, he will be in hot demand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for Marchbank.

Reckon Hopper will look good in navy blue too.
Seriously.this thread is silly. Yes we've traded to our mutual benefit in the past. This year for the first time oir list size and cap are normalised. There isn't the need for trading in the numbers we've had to previously. It will come down to who is off contrsct amd wants to go, like Marchbank and somewhat how many from tje academy we want to draft.

These were trades for salary cap space. We bundled 1 good player with 3 duds on overpaid contracts and you took them off our hands for an unders pick. Not sure why Blues fans cant see this and think it will be a yearly exercise. Unless there is a need to do it, it wont be happening again.

In most threads on BF it runs much the other way. SOS gets railed on for taking someone like Palmer, while it's Blue's fans who are pointing out that this was a way of getting Marchbank cheaply.

SOS knew GWS' situation intimately and given the state of Carlton's list and salary cap, was well placed to offer trade value to GWS in ways other than straight up draft picks. This situation suited both clubs, but it always had an end date; I suspect that date has already arrived and the trading between GWS and Carlton will normalise from here on.

Seriously.this thread is silly. Yes we've traded to our mutual benefit in the past. This year for the first time oir list size and cap are normalised. There isn't the need for trading in the numbers we've had to previously. It will come down to who is off contrsct amd wants to go, like Marchbank and somewhat how many from tje academy we want to draft.
Totally agree. GWS do not have to offload anyone and have some 'deadwood' that they can delist this year to clear list space for new draftees.
Only challenge GWS really has is the salary cap, and if that goes up then there is no immediate pressure at all.
I guess the other challenge is so many injured players?

Kelly will go to Norf's on massive $$$ or stay - cannot see CFC getting him unfortunately.
Hopper and/or Kennedy a chance due to opportunity to play AFL every week - possible cost is we lose Gibbs in a three way trade with Adelaide or Port. Swap quality for Youth?
Tomlinson boat has sailed and he is not needed in CFC defence, but very important for GWS.

Totally agree. GWS do not have to offload anyone and have some 'deadwood' that they can delist this year to clear list space for new draftees.
Only challenge GWS really has is the salary cap, and if that goes up then there is no immediate pressure at all.
I guess the other challenge is so many injured players?

Kelly will go to Norf's on massive $$$ or stay - cannot see CFC getting him unfortunately.
Hopper and/or Kennedy a chance due to opportunity to play AFL every week - possible cost is we lose Gibbs in a three way trade with Adelaide or Port. Swap quality for Youth?
Tomlinson boat has sailed and he is not needed in CFC defence, but very important for GWS.

Hopper is best 22 and not getting a game due to injury. I love how people here have no idea about our list and throw darts willy nilly,

Hopper is best 22 and not getting a game due to injury. I love how people here have no idea about our list and throw darts willy nilly,
Agree Hopper is good but is not a certain starter in your midfield.
But you know the list better than me, and maybe rate some of your guys differently.
Who would you say are the mids in your best 22?
I can think of 11 mids that are very good ... excluding Hopper and whoever you get in this years draft...

Stephen Coniglio
Dylan Shiel
Lachie Whitfield
Brett Deledio
Callan Ward
Tom Scully
Will Setterfield
Ryan Griffen
Tim Taranto
Josh Kelly
Harry Perryman

Agree Hopper is good but is not a certain starter in your midfield.
But you know the list better than me, and maybe rate some of your guys differently.
Who would you say are the mids in your best 22?
I can think of 11 mids that are very good ... excluding Hopper and whoever you get in this years draft...

Stephen Coniglio - Midfield
Dylan Shiel - Midfield
Lachie Whitfield -Midfield
Callan Ward - Midfield
Tom Scully - Midfield
Tim Taranto - Midfield
Josh Kelly - Midfield
Hopper is among that list.

The rest? They ain't best 22.

Hopper is among that list.

The rest? They ain't best 22.
Appreciate your insight. I think Setterfield and Perryman have a lot of upside and need games or will seek to leave next year when out of contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back