Which grand final do you rate as the best of this millennium so far?

Which grand final was the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from my mob's two Premierships, I really enjoyed each of the Brions threepeat wins. They beat two Melbourne based teams at the G and played fantastic skilled and hard nosed footy.

Brisbane of that era was the best team I have seen since Melbourne 1955-60
Ess. 2001 lost because, no.1. Lucas missed a sitter late in 3rd. No2 played Hird and 2 other injured players. [cant recall other 2]. totally agree with u otherwise.
PS. There is someone older than me on BF. Good, all the best.

All your teams seem to have a lot in common....
South Launceston, Woodville, Hawthorn, West Perth, Rams, Wolves...hmm...all with backs to the wall off the field at some stage in their recent existence (sometimes terminal) before getting their s**t together and smashing the f### out of their opposition by way of redeeming comeback...? Yup, got it in one...

Well...jury's still out on West Perth...

There were only 2 really awful Grand Finals 2015 and 2017 (although Hodge kicked an amazing left foot standing checkside goal in the heat of 2015). The rest were pretty good especially in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2018.

Best games 2018, 2009
Best goals Luke Hodge 2015, Dom Sheed 2018.
Best marks Leo Barry you star 2005, Brendan Goddard 2010

You say awful grand finals and you missed 2013. Seriously the most boring grand final I can remember. Not a single “memorable” highlight. Deplorable skills and a plain boring game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say awful grand finals and you missed 2013. Seriously the most boring grand final I can remember. Not a single “memorable” highlight. Deplorable skills and a plain boring game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I won't defend the rest of the game, but Smith's 60 metre bomb in the last quarter was pretty memorable.

I can't remember.

Kicked it 60 off a few steps into a stiff wind when nobody else could hit the side of a house. Gave it the double cobra and was subsequently told off by Luke Hodge for acting a fool. Bruce actually made it memorable with his call which was probably the last time that ever happened.

I find the 2013 grand final to be pretty memorable - Fyfe’s opening quarter sprayed shots, Gunston’s monster first half, Mzungu’s goal, Walters’ third quarter purple patch, Smith’s bomb, Hill’s sausage and Lake’s last quarter intercept marks make a good highlights package. Definitely dry game compared to other close grand finals and the end result was always inevitable but I still rate it as a great game of footy.

2015 has the worst highlights package - Hodge’s goal, Cyril’s run down tackle and Darling’s dropped sitter are the only truly memorable moments of that game to me.

If it bleeds, we can kill it. Easily for me.

A wet 2009 grand final my next most enjoyed as a game.
Then 2012 and last year's probably next.
2011 after that, then 2002. Then 2016.

Not involving my team. Otherwise I'd be biased and say 2018 and 2006. :cool:

Geelong def. Saints in 2009 is the best for mine. Two of the best teams of the modern era going at it. Saints were unlucky to be facing a Cats team hell bent on redemption from the year before otherwise they'd have won it imo.

Bulldogs def. Sydney in 2016 was memorable too. Any honest Australian loves the underdog winning it (pun intended) and the Dogs managed to win it from outside the top 4.

568464-tlslargelandscape.jpg

What the * is Rio Ferdinand doing there??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Grand Finals (An AFL Fantasy Guide)

2018: West Coast 1,575 Points Versus Collingwood 1,647 Points.
2017: Richmond 1,471 Points Versus Adelaide 1,504 Points.
2016: Western Bulldogs 1,683 Points Versus Sydney 1,678 Points.
2015: Hawthorn 1,933 Points Versus West Coast 1,227 Points.
2014: Hawthorn 1,831 Points Versus Sydney 1,271 Points.
2013: Hawthorn 1,600 Points Versus Fremantle 1,400 Points
2012: Sydney 1,593 Points Versus Hawthorn 1,515 Points.
2011: Geelong 1,470 Points Versus Collingwood 1,591 Points.
2010: Collingwood 1,849 Points Versus St Kilda 1,392 Points.
2010: Collingwood 1,491 Points Versus St Kilda 1,566 Points. (Draw)

2009: Geelong 1,512 Points Versus St Kilda 1,554 Points.
2008: Hawthorn 1,669 Points Versus Geelong 1,467 Points.
2007: Geelong 1,849 Points Versus Port Adelaide 1,310 Points.
2006: West Coast 1,507 Points Versus Sydney 1,269 Points.
2005: Sydney 1,334 Points Versus West Coast 1,261 Points.
2004: Port Adelaide 1,321 Points Versus Brisbane 1,152 Points.
2003: Brisbane 1,402 Points Versus Collingwood 1,091 Points.
2002: Brisbane 1,260 Points Versus Collingwood 1,286 Points.
2001: Brisbane 1,149 Points Versus Essendon 1,140 Points.

Well there it is a journey through the modern ages of football as we know it
from the mountain tops to the green lush valleys below. Now am I saying
the best games are the highest scoring ones absolutely not as we all now
there are many factors that determine the winner and sometimes you only
play as well as your opponent lets you.

Excluding Swans games

2008 is a personal favourite of mine. 2010 draw and 2018 of course. 2002 and 2009 were pure heart and guts slogs. But 2008 still comes out on top for all round quality for mine.

2013 was the worst. Didn't even have one team putting on an awesome display, was an absolute eyesore of a game from both sides. Probably the only neutral GF I'd never want to watch again. Honourable mention to the 2010 replay, a game that should've never existed.

Nice, another online poll getting ruined by biased Richmond fans. Nothing about the 2017 grand final was entertaining, there was little competition. The two grand finals before and after were both substantially better, and even then neither of those were probably even the best one

Maybe mods should ban every Richmond supporter on these threads. Only to have their bans lifted off in a couple of years when they are down the bottom and they are drawing 10,000 Richmond fans like they were back 8 years ago.

2018 has toppled 2009 off the perch for me now, but then my team was in it so I can't look at it 100% objectively.

If I was going to sit down and watch a few it would be 2018, 2006 (the ones we won) then 2009, 2012, 2016, 2002.

Last on the list would be 2005 because it was a real scrap and like 2006/2018 we could have won it. 2015 was disappointing but we were never on and the game was done by QT so it doesn't burn the same way. Would have loved us to play like we did in the prelim but that's footy. WC 2015 at their best vs Haw 2015 at their best we probably don't win. You'd also have to pay me to sit through 2013 again. I remember nothing except a dull game, s**t kicking for goal and Brian Lake taking about 35 marks.

Maybe mods should ban every Richmond supporter on these threads. Only to have their bans lifted off in a couple of years when they are down the bottom and they are drawing 10,000 Richmond fans like they were back 8 years ago.
What type of pathetic minnow club can't get at least 80,000 to a final lol that club is Collingwood

2016 was amazing and I feel it's being underrated due to the final margin.

No arguments bere! That centre square goal from Boyd after a broken backed Morris tackle on Buddy is a signature monent in GF history. 16 a great game in its own right. just about the best prelim and best overall finals story too.

But 18 for me is the best this century. Exciting and skilled.

Only behind 1989 as the best GF ever. Anyone not seeing should watch it if they get a chance. Brilliant, tough mids like Platten and Hocking with two of the best KPFs and players ever in Ablett snr and Dunstall. The brutality and courage wont ever recur. Yeates' hit on Brereton is folklore. Dipper playing out with a collapsed lung and Brereton pissing blood are only examples. Multiple hospitalisations on both sides. Yet one of the best skilled games you will see. Thirty years on it still stands up.

That 18 made me compare it to 89 is a compliment to that GF.

No arguments bere! That centre square goal from Boyd after a broken backed Morris tackle on Buddy is a signature monent in GF history. 16 a great game in its own right. just about the best prelim and best overall finals story too.

But 18 for me is the best this century. Exciting and skilled.

Only behind 1989 as the best GF ever. Anyone not seeing should watch it if they get a chance. Brilliant, tough mids like Platten and Hocking with two of the best KPFs and players ever in Ablett snr and Dunstall. The brutality and courage wont ever recur. Yeates' hit on Brereton is folklore. Dipper playing out with a collapsed lung and Brereton pissing blood are only examples. Multiple hospitalisations on both sides. Yet one of the best skilled games you will see. Thirty years on it still stands up.

That 18 made me compare it to 89 is a compliment to that GF.
As a WC fan it's not possible to be objective on 2018. But the lived experience was one of the most intense experiences of my footy watching life.

Back