Which grand final do you rate as the best of this millennium so far?

Which grand final was the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, a former premiership coach for Collingwood thought that a Collingwood player deserved the free. Shocking. Watch it again, Maynard instead of running the angle to where the ball was going to drop he went straight to Rioli and engaged him, Sheed dropping in front. Rioli never took his eyes off the ball. What's Rioli supposed to do, let himself get bowled over? That's ridiculous and you know it.
Just rewatched. Maynard initially takes one step that is diagonal to the incoming ball - ie both forward but also left towards Rioli. He gets himself half a step in front of Rioli by doing this. From that point he moves (or attempts to move) only in the line of the incoming ball. Rioli has Maynard to his right and half a step in front of him. He moves forward, wraps his arms around Maynard while the ball's 15m away in the air, and stops him from running to the contest, while making no attempt to get to the actual ball drop himself. One of the more blatant blocks I've ever seen.

And it wasn't just Lethal. It was every. single. commentator (Lyon, Watson, Robbo, the whole cast of the Fairfax Real Footy podcast etc).

Just rewatched. Maynard initially takes one step that is diagonal to the incoming ball - ie both forward but also left towards Rioli. He gets himself half a step in front of Rioli by doing this. From that point he moves (or attempts to move) only in the line of the incoming ball. Rioli has Maynard to his right and half a step in front of him. He moves forward, wraps his arms around Maynard while the ball's 15m away in the air, and stops him from running to the contest, while making no attempt to get to the actual ball drop himself. One of the more blatant blocks I've ever seen.

And it wasn't just Lethal. It was every. single. commentator (Lyon, Watson, Robbo, the whole cast of the Fairfax Real Footy podcast etc).
"Wraps his arms around him"? You're kidding yourself. Maynard ran straight to Rioli, engaged him and prevented himself from getting to the drop. It was perfectly legal what Rioli did.

And to blame a match on one (correctly adjudicated) incident when there were thousands of incidents is laughable. Provide the quotes, not just the former Collingwood coach's one.

"Wraps his arms around him"? You're kidding yourself. Maynard ran straight to Rioli, engaged him and prevented himself from getting to the drop. It was perfectly legal what Rioli did.

And to blame a match on one (correctly adjudicated) incident when there were thousands of incidents is laughable. Provide the quotes, not just the former Collingwood coach's one.
You must really hate Collingwood :tearsofjoy:

You must really hate Collingwood :tearsofjoy:
Not that much honestly. My mum's a Collingwood supporter. I probably dislike West Coast more if anything.

Not that much honestly. My mum's a Collingwood supporter. I probably dislike West Coast more if anything.
My dad's a Freudian psychoanalyst (seriously). He would probably say that your opinion on this free-kick is a result of displaced hostility towards your mother for barracking for Collingwood (kidding) :p

2007 - Fairly tedious but watching that great Geelong side at their awesome best was pretty special.

----------------------------------------------------

2014 - Aside front Hawthorn’s brilliance, this was a shocker. I expected another great contest but half way through the 1st quarter you knew Hawks were going to smash them.

Interesting that you think 2007 was special seeing Cats at their best but that 2014 was a shocker (although to be fair you did say Hawks were brilliant). As Bruce said at the end of 2014 "The greatest side of the last 50 years deliver their masterpiece. They've never been better than this".

Both games were thumpings and although Geelong won by the greatest margin, I feel like 2014 Hawks was the most complete performance of all the GFs in this list. Against a team considered very strong the Hawks were simply clinical, ruthless and brutal. It obviously didn't make for the best viewing as a GF, but I think it was the best team performance of the lot.

Last edited:
You say awful grand finals and you missed 2013. Seriously the most boring grand final I can remember. Not a single “memorable” highlight. Deplorable skills and a plain boring game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah 2013 was a shocker although it was just what we needed as Hawks. Just to get the job done after the 2 previous seasons.

I've actually watched the 2012 loss back more than the 2013 win.

Hawthorn made 4 grand finals in a row and it's ironic that the only one they happened to lose was by far the best spectacle to watch.

That's because when we lost it took a titanic effort to overcome us in a game where we wouldn't lie down either. But when we win we blew the oppo to pieces.

Short story - we're hard to beat and make a game of it even if we're not victorious.

Interesting that you think 2007 was special seeing Cats at their best but that 2014 was a shocker (although to be fair you did say Hawks were brilliant). As Bruce said at the end of 2014 "The greatest side of the last 50 years deliver their masterpiece. They've never been better than this".

Both games were thumpings and although Geelong won by the greatest margin, I feel like 2014 Hawks was the most complete performance of all the GFs in this list. Against a team considered very strong the Hawks were simply clinical, ruthless and brutal. It obviously didn't make for the best viewing as a GF, but I think it was the best team performance of the lot.

They say the hawthorn coaches didnt relax till well into Q4. hawks swans games of the time were known for massive momentum swings

They say the hawthorn coaches didnt relax till well into Q4. hawks swans games of the time were known for massive momentum swings

They lied lol.

As soon as Hodge intercepted the Rohan kick and goaled it was game over. My mate couldn't believe I had hit party time revelry so early but I knew it was over. We broke them.

Yeah 2013 was a shocker although it was just what we needed as Hawks. Just to get the job done after the 2 previous seasons.

I've actually watched the 2012 loss back more than the 2013 win.

same mate

They lied lol.

As soon as Hodge intercepted the Rohan kick and goaled it was game over. My mate couldn't believe I had hit party time revelry so early but I knew it was over. We broke them.

i felt we were ****ed when that langford goaled late in the first, everythng sydney did seemed a panic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 funnily enough

There's so many great ones.. 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 (draw), 2011, 2012, 2018.. I ended up voting for the 2010 draw just because of the drama and the spectacle of it.

This is a tricky poll because most votes will be naturally bias to the more recent and closely contested grand finals. Arguably 02 and the 05/06 were better than the 18. Especially 06, something special about a rematch GF thats as good as the previous.

Back