Which grand final do you rate as the best of this millennium so far?

Which grand final was the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally? 2014. My team were near perfect that day and the stories were great.
Hawks games aside, honestly, 2018 is hard to top. 2002, 2010 part 1 and 2011 were pretty awesome too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2005, 2010, 2016 were a bit dour. 2005 was so different to anything before though or since really.

2016 dour? Relatively high scoring first half for a grand final. Played at a breakneck pace throughout. 1 point the difference late in the piece. So many memorable moments.
It is remembered for the fairytale, but the game itself is quite underrated in my opinion.
The worst player in AFL history strutting his stuff probably knocks it down at least one peg though (Xavier Richards).

2018 is the best because it's the most recent. And all the others aren't as good because they're less recent

Can't split the draw and 2018.

16/17 Patriots vs Atlanta was a sight to behold
2017?
I think I’ve wiped that’s year from my memory...

There were only 2 really awful Grand Finals 2015 and 2017 (although Hodge kicked an amazing left foot standing checkside goal in the heat of 2015). The rest were pretty good especially in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2018.

Best games 2018, 2009
Best goals Luke Hodge 2015, Dom Sheed 2018.
Best marks Leo Barry you star 2005, Brendan Goddard 2010

Last edited:
2010 draw

(No particular order) Are my top 5. 2011 would've been the best of the lot if Collingwood didn't run out of steam in the last quarter.

We have definitely been spoilt recently. Especially since there was only one game decided by a goal or less between the 1979 GF and 2005. Someone correct me if im wrong.

89 was decided by a kick, but agreed that we have been spoilt for spectacles since the turn of the millennium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as the 2018 grand final never actually happened, I have no idea what shared delusions you are all voting for.

I personally can't go past the '10 Draw, but am very suprised at how criminally underrated the 05 and 06 GF's are rated. Every single game between those two sides over that period was more exciting than a bunch of the GF's on this list. Very disciplined (on field at least) contested football should not be seen as "boring".

Best - 2009. Many of the others match it for quality of opponents, closeness, drama, memorable moments and sustained excellent footy by at least one team, but this one had all of that from both sides...runner up 2012...

Favourite - 2008 was the year both my girlfriend and dad died before September. I told my Hawk fan nephew I didn't want us to win that year, because it would be a pretty volatile memory in years to come - best to just hate that year in full! That got sorted once we had the game by the neck...runner up 2014...

Best story - 2014. You could make a movie of the Hawks' 2014 season, complete with huge injury toll, sidelined coach, Brendan Bolton, underdog status against a supposed Goliath and subsequent belting of said giant, and if people didn't know it was true they would accuse it of Hollywood formulation...runner up 2016...

Worst match - 2005. Seven would have taken the tape of the first half of this match, doused it in petrol, set it on fire, pissed on it and then taken turns with a sledgehammer and a monster truck smashing it into oblivion, just to erase this abortion of all that is good in footy from the consciousness of the human race. Knowing me though, if I did chance upon a replay of this never viewed again monstrosity, I'd probably like it because it was close...fickle bastard...runner up 2007...

Most overrated - 2018. Sorry. The footy is in a lull period, and nothing about this match inspired me with awe...runner up 2005...

Most underrated - 2004. Port's achievement in knocking off that team was truly mighty, and we don't really talk about it much. Maybe that's because Port don't resonate with a lot of Australian footy fans outside SA, or maybe it was the previous choking leading us to automatically dismiss them, but this really was a battle between the two best sides of the early 2000's, who had only a neck between them in head to head meetings, and stars coming out of their arses...runner up...can't think of one...someone always beats their chest loud enough to prevent that...

Great games not winning a positive gong - 2001, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016 & 2018...
Agree on 2005 but at least game was in balance. 2013 had nothing.

2015 NRL Grand Final - Broncos v Cowboys

Never seen a game like it!... every second of the game was thrilling and edge of the seat tense!.. and im a broncos supporter too.. JT was just unbeleivable though.

Sorry, had to put it out there!....

what can i say, i love both codes (AFL slightly more) and there has been some great grandfinals in both in the last decade or so... but that 2015 NRL grand final had everything.

Oh... for the AFL the 2005 grand final, with the Leo Barry mark!, was pretty bloody awesome.. and last years pies/wc was a great game too..
With respect, but id rather watch freo v gold coast than any rugby league.match

Aside from my mob's two Premierships, I really enjoyed each of the Brions threepeat wins. They beat two Melbourne based teams at the G and played fantastic skilled and hard nosed footy.

Brisbane of that era was the best team I have seen since Melbourne 1955-60

I reckon I watch the comeback once a week, and I'm a Chiefs fan.
Sorry, bad day for you, very unlucky. My Rams got through on the back of dodgy umpiring, although I did like the fact they stayed composed and their capitalisation was top rate. I wanted the Chiefs to get in, first SB in 50 years, although playing NE does give us a chance to square up for 2002, when the Greatest Show On Turf, the shortest priced favourites in SB history, got humbled by some kid called Brady, who only made the team that year because the No.1 QB (Bledsoe) copped a season ending injury...

Back