Which grand final do you rate as the best of this millennium so far?

Which grand final was the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that what you actually did on the day of the GF is very important. Whether it be a great social occasion, or you just checked the scores whilst working, the surroundings definitely help you remember the actual match in a more positive or negative way.

The modern game talent is weak compared to previous seasons. Watching recent flags has made me feel rather empty. It's as if there's nothing on the line or any form of intensity in finals anymore.

West Coast on the day were actually good, one of the better quality teams of the era. But the game itself and both teams playing style was extremely lax and poor in general. Geelong/St Kilda Grand Final matches were by far the best I've seen since 2004.

My favourite Grand Final's are the back and fourth battles for the first 2.5 quarters, before one team goes up a gear the other can't match late in the third quarter. This is because you get to see the joy of the players when they know they've won the game, it's the best footy gets. On the opposing side you see the desperation and realisation that their dreams will not come true. Nothing better than seeing someone stream thru the middle to kick a goal in the final quarter when the game is already sewn up and the whole team gets around them. E.g; @24:40 in this video

You get the point tho. A few examples of this, 2001, 2008, 2011. (To be fair 2004 fits the bill too but that hurts too much). Those are truly my favourites (along with 2010 draw and 2012, also 2016 cause I have a soft spot for the Doggies). I did enjoy 2014 because the Hawks went in underdogs for some reason but I knew they would pump Sydney and they did.

In terms of exciting great games though, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010 Draw, 2012, 2016, too drunk to remember 2018 unfortunately. But I think the poll result is recency bias

Hawthorn made 4 grand finals in a row and it's ironic that the only one they happened to lose was by far the best spectacle to watch.

Hawthorn made 4 grand finals in a row and it's ironic that the only one they happened to lose was by far the best spectacle to watch.

The wild weather that day was always going to make for a close one....It Played right into Sydney's game style n all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2009, 2011, and 2012 the standouts.

2018 can't be considered since the last goal came off the worst umpiring non-decision (the illegal shepherd) I've seen in a GF. I'd never get over that if I was a Collingwood supporter :tearsofjoy:

2018 can't be considered since the last goal came off the worst umpiring non-decision (the illegal shepherd) I've seen in a GF. I'd never get over that if I was a Collingwood supporter :tearsofjoy:
It took West Coast fans over a decade to get over the Sampi “jumper hold” and they won one the next year. Not sure why they tend to be so gleeful about the Maynard one but that’s the game and it’s swings and roundabouts. Darling could’ve iced the game and didn’t in an equally calamitous fashion, we just gave them too many opportunities to win it and were beaten by the better side on the day.

It took West Coast fans over a decade to get over the Sampi “jumper hold” and they won one the next year. Not sure why they tend to be so gleeful about the Maynard one but that’s the game and it’s swings and roundabouts. Darling could’ve iced the game and didn’t in an equally calamitous fashion, we just gave them too many opportunities to win it and were beaten by the better side on the day.
You are a better man than I to take it so philosophically

You are a better man than I to take it so philosophically
We’ve copped our fair share of rotten luck but except for 2003 I’ve not seen my side disgrace themselves on the biggest stage in my lifetime. Happy to be proud of the performance and disappointed in the result. Doesn’t mean I don’t hunger for better but at the end of the day it’s just a game and I’ve got joy out of the ride.

It was the correct call

Every former player working as a professional commenter on the game disagrees with you. Believe Lethal said the umpire obviously 'choked'.
Yes, a former premiership coach for Collingwood thought that a Collingwood player deserved the free. Shocking. Watch it again, Maynard instead of running the angle to where the ball was going to drop he went straight to Rioli and engaged him, Sheed dropping in front. Rioli never took his eyes off the ball. What's Rioli supposed to do, let himself get bowled over? That's ridiculous and you know it.

Back