Which Grand Final match-ups and results would cause the biggest BigFooty melt down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne or St. Kilda in a narrow loss to GWS/Gold Coast is the obvious one.

Something like Toby Greene concussing Petracca and kicking the winning goal with a smirk, and Nathan Jones losing in his final game, after growing up as a Saints supporter.

All the hordes that pile on whenever they underperform, or get apocalyptic when they look like dominating, would be posting threads of disgust at how a leg-up franchise who no one cares about has just shot bambi between the eyes. All the horrors would come out of the woodwork. Some of the losing clubs fans would get involved, whilst others would be embarrassed and graceful in defeat, but it would mostly be vic blowhards with a posting history that includes repeated usage of "COLA".

Last edited:
Eagles v Dockers. Eagles have comfortably held the upper hand in terms of on field results since the Dockers entered the comp. It’s seems like Freo will never shake the “annoying little brother” tag but a win in a GF over the Eagles would flip all that on its head. Let’s hope it never happens...
Yeah if Freo ever beat the Eagles in a Grand Final the entire dynamic of that rivalry will change forever.

In the NRL Broncos v Cowboys was never a legitimate rivalry until the 2015 GF, Cowboys who were the underdog team in Queensland (Titans aren't even relevant) before 2015 won. Those match-ups used to be billed as big brother v little brother, now it's big brother v big brother. Before 2015 If the Broncos were out of finals I'd want to see the Cowboys win it as a Queensland team, now I wanna see the Cowboys get knocked out if they make the finals, admittedly getting sent to regional Queensland towns for work the following few months after that Grand Final and getting continual reminders about it didn't help.

In the AFL Lions v Suns is not a rivalry, as any proper Lions fan old enough to remember our threepeat era hate Collingwood and Port Adelaide way more before the Suns even get a thought (honestly I'd rather have one win against Collingwood and lose both games to the Suns than beat the Suns twice and lose to Collingwood), however I know if the Suns ever beat us in a Grand Final that will change the dynamic of Aussie rules footy in Queensland forever, especially as this part of the world is notorious for bandwagoning.

Last edited:
I was thinking North vs Richmond. Richmond people are up an about since their flag, North people always jump to their teams/clubs defence quite stridently.

Not sure if they have much of a rivalry though.

West Coast v Freo would make a great melt down, there little triple heads wouldn't know which way to spin whinging about should've been a home ground final.
Best thing would be Melbournes homeless could be fed with all the over catered food

Port vs Adelaide would be amazing and has some chance of coming true this year.

Richmond vs non-Vic team is very possible, given the top 4 is likely to include the them plus West Coast, Sydney, and Adelaide or Port. But the Tigers need to finish lower than their opponents in order to generate "undeserved home advantage" angst. Also ideally win by less than a kick.
Add a few dodgy free kicks to make it a proper melt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo v WC, it nearly happened in 15 but Freo didn't hold up their end of the bargain. Would've been the biggest risk/reward game in WA history. To win would've been glorious but losing unbearable, probably best it didn't happen, getting flogged by Hawthorn was bad enough.........................but if we'd beat Freo oh sweet lord.:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back