Which grand final were you most excited of as a neutral?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Apart from your own team, which grand finals excited you as a neutral

For me it was the 2010 draw. 2 teams with long droughts and known for Grand Final failures would face off for a flag

Another one was 2016 just for the Bulldogs in their first GF in 55 years

Excluding the second St Kilda and Collingwood grand final, every grand final between 2008 and 2012 gave me so much enjoyment as a neutral. So much good footy.

Crows winning all finals away from home
We also beat your mob at Subiaco in the final minor round game of 1998. Without a weeks break the next week as well. Though we did get thrashed the first week of the finals.

Anyway, back on topic, I looked forward to 1996 and 2001, to see if the premiership would leave a non aussie rules state.

I just really want to see a showdown or derby grand final some time.

Obviously I am not a neutral in regard to the derby but even if I was, these are the GFs that would add an extra level of intrigue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane v Collingwood 2002

Just thought it was an exciting time, defending premier going up against a fighting team. I was sick with tonsillitis during the week which gave me an unusual spin on grand final week in general. The wet weather on the day made the match exciting to witness.

Brisbane v Collingwood 2003

Grand final rematch in better weather. I was hoping I'd see Brisbane thrash Collingwood and I got my wish :D

2009 - St Kilda vs Geelong
2011 - Collingwood vs Geelong

The build up for these grand finals were huge. Both teams dominated the H&A season.

I'd also say:
2016 - Sydney vs Bulldogs
2017 - Adelaide vs Richmond

3 teams that hadn't made a grand final in a long time. Was exciting to see different teams play off.

2016 by far. Living in Footscray you really felt it. Buildings and houses painted red, white and blue, posters in every third window, just the 62 year drought, knowing Bulldogs fans. It was ALMOST as if the Eagles were playing. Watched the prelim against the Giants with my Bulldogs supporting friend and out barracked him lol. Come to the West and many of the buildings are still painted in Dogs colours.

2009 and 10 cos I wanted the Saints to break the drought, but it's still a fair way back. Other than that, I get excited but not overly so if we aren't in it.

I have several other clubs which I have a soft spot for and can't really be considered 'neutral', but leaving aside those pregame 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011 and 2014 were all heavyweight bouts between the two best sides (which didn't feel lopsided going in), and any fan of AFL in general couldn't not salivate over those.

2002 was pretty good for me in can't-lose terms as I enjoyed both clubs, and that was the first C10 GF when Holy Grail was beginning to feel footy anthemic. Malthouse was my first Eagles coach and therefore I couldn't help but hope the best for him at the Magpies. Loved Mick. But I've had a soft spot for Brisbane just as long as I've loved Mick. That GF turned out to be the first GF thriller for millennials, gave us the meaning of what the occasion itself could actually offer.

Are you talking about before the game or during it ?

2005 was the most exciting GF I have seen, the one I looked forward to the most was 2001 (hoping those PLUCKY young Lions could knock off *, thankfully they did)

2005 was one of the worst grand finals I've ever seen - the last couple of minutes were exciting but outside that it was utter trash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back