Opinion Which Hawthorn players are set for a breakout season in 2022?

Which players are set for a breakout season in 2022?

• Will Day

Votes: 58 47.9%
  • Mitchell Lewis

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Ned Reeves

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Emerson Jeka

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Josh Morris

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Conor Nash

Votes: 44 36.4%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Max Lynch

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
This year we saw Moore, Koschitzke and Jiath establish themselves as best 22 players.

The next group of players who’ve been on the list for 3,4 and 5 years are the ones expected to improve greatly next year as there are a number of spots now up for grabs.

Second year players shouldn’t really count as most of them usually improve on their first year.

Mitchell Lewis (23) 36 games - 47 goals
Although Lewis has had some good form here and there, he’s never really played a full season yet. Will 2022 be his year?

Conor Nash (23) 29 games - 13 goals
The last five games Nash had 16, 23, 20, 14 and 24 disposals. A new role in the midfield and he could very well be in the best 22 by the end of next year.

Will Day (20) 16 games - 1 goal
Played only five games last year but showed glimpses. Arguably the most skilled defender on the Hawks list. If 2022 goes well for him, he’s my tip to be the most improved player.

Finn Maginness (20) 3 games
Hasn’t featured in his first 2 seasons due to being behind other players and the no VFL games has also impacted his development. If he can improve on his game and close the gap between his best and worst I think he could feature prominently in 2022.

Josh Morris (20) 9 games - 1 goal
Struggled as a forward at AFL and VFL level, before a move into defence across half back has saved his career. Might find it tough given the Hawks strong depth in defence. I think Morris is more likely to push for a spot in the best 22 in 2023.

Ned Reeves (23) 5 games - 1 goal
With Ceglar leaving and McEvoy nearing the end, Reeves has a strong case to not only be the Hawks number one ruckman next year but also possibility on the cusp of having a breakout season. With his size and athleticism he’s certainly one to watch with keen interest.

Emerson Jeka (20) 4 games - 2 goals
Played only 8 games for Box Hill in 2021 but kicked 23 goals, 20 behinds. Kicked 3 goals or more 5 times. Jeka dominated as a forward in the VFL showing signs of improvement. He starts 2022 behind Lewis and Koschitzke. A big pre-season and who knows. Can he force his way into the Hawks best 22?

Max Lynch (23) 3 games
Entering his fifth season, Lynch arrives at Hawthorn with plenty of upside and will likely push a spot in the best 22. Can he challenge Reeves for the number one ruck spot?

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This year we saw Moore, Koschitzke and Jiath establish themselves as best 22 players.

The next group of players who’ve been on the list for 3,4 and 5 years are the ones expected to improve greatly next year as there are a number of spots now up for grabs.

Second year players shouldn’t really count as most of them usually improve on their first year.

Mitchell Lewis (23) 36 games - 47 goals
Although Lewis has had some good form here and there, he’s never really played a full season yet. Will 2022 be his year?

Conor Nash (23) 29 games - 13 goals
The last five games Nash had 16, 23, 20, 14 and 24 disposals. A new role in the midfield and he might be best 22 by the end of next year.

Will Day (20) 16 games - 1 goal
Played only five games last year but showed glimpses. If 2022 goes well for him, he’s my tip to be Hawthorn’s most improved player.

Finn Maginness (20) 3 games
Hasn’t featured in his first 2 seasons due to being behind other players and the no VFL games has also impacted his development. If he can improve on his game and close the gap between his best and worst I think he could feature prominently in 2022.

Josh Morris (20) 9 games - 1 goal
Struggled as a forward at AFL and VFL level, before a move into defence across half back has saved his career. Might find it tough given the Hawks strong depth in defence. I think Morris is more likely to push for a spot in the best 22 in 2023.

Ned Reeves (23) 5 games - 1 goal
With Ceglar leaving and McEvoy nearing the end, Reeves has a strong case to not only be the Hawks number one ruckman next year but also possibility on the cusp of having a breakout season. With his size and athleticism he’s certainly one to watch with keen interest.

Emerson Jeka (20) 4 games - 2 goals
Played only 8 games for Box Hill in 2021 but kicked 23 goals, 20 behinds. Kicked 3 goals or more 5 times. Jeka dominated as a forward in the VFL showing signs of improvement. He starts 2022 behind Lewis and Koschitzke. A big pre-season and who knows. Can he force his way into the Hawks best 22?

Max Lynch (23) 3 games
Entering his sixth season, Lynch arrives at Hawthorn with plenty of upside and will likely push a spot in the best 22. Can he challenge Reeves for the number one ruck spot?
I see Nash, Reeves and Lewis getting the most opportunity to have a break out year. I see Nash and Reeves taking it with two hands. I’m a bit on the fence with Lewis.

What I’m super excited for is seeing Jeka, S.Mitchell and Saunders light it up at Box Hill

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Beware the shrapnel as Will Day is set to explode.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Think Will Day broke out in 2020 didn't he when he finished top 10 in the Crimmins?

I see Bramble, with a big professional pre-season, having a break-out.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn is the one
He’s the one we desperately need to cement himself next year. If him and worpel lock away mid spots it sets us up for the next decade. In terms of a player who’ll be a star of the comp, I think will day with a full pre season is borderline AA 40 squad next year.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Nash - to be the inside bull we need. Will build on the end of season form.

Jai - a big preseason awaits.

CJ - we’ve seen him down back but will go to another level on the wing.

Finn - feel is going to be pushed by Sam to make it. Has the athletic tools we need.

Seamus - electric speed and kicking. Not sure who he pushes out.

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will Day doesn’t need to break out. He has already played at a very high level and just needs to stay on the park.

Reeves might need another couple of preseasons to put on some beef before he truly breaks out. He will continue improve with each game.

Not convinced Nash is ready to be a star in the midfield at AFL level just yet. Will definitely be a point of difference and someone to match the size of Bont, Fyfe, Petracca etc.

I think it’ll be Lewis and/or Jeka. Having Gunston, Bruest and Moore drawing the attention of defenders it’s the perfect opportunity for one or both of these lads.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You’d hope the wing positions (and hopefully three of them) will have a settled breakout year like with Smith and hill did.

otherwise it won’t be pretty all round

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quite few options but lots of hope rather than certainty.

I really hope Reeves comes on and shows he will be an A grade ruck for the next 10ish years.

It would give our midfield and club a huge boost.

Otherwise Bramble, Newk, Day, Nash and pick 5 starting to light up the midfield and we might actually be getting somewhere.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I can't be the only one who thinks Connor Downie will improve immensely over the summer and play 15+ games next year surely?

PS. My prediction this time last year was Dylan Moore becoming a goal a game forward and automatic best 22. Happy to be bold again! I think Downie has some serious tools and just needs the confidence that some body development can bring. 2 pre-seasons and a full summer this year under his VFL coach Sam will do him wonders.

I can't be the only one who thinks Connor Downie will improve immensely over the summer and play 15+ games next year surely?

PS. My prediction this time last year was Dylan Moore becoming a goal a game forward and automatic best 22. Happy to be bold again! I think Downie has some serious tools and just needs the confidence that some body development can bring. 2 pre-seasons and a full summer this year under his VFL coach Sam will do him wonders.

Downie was my first thought too. He fills a big hole in our team. I hope he can make a wing his own.

Back