Opinion Which Hawthorn players are set for a breakout season in 2022?

Which players are set for a breakout season in 2022?

• Will Day

Votes: 58 47.9%
  • Mitchell Lewis

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Ned Reeves

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Emerson Jeka

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Josh Morris

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Conor Nash

Votes: 44 36.4%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Max Lynch

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

like Dustin Fletcher, except wayyy better. In my next big call……

If this winds up being true, then he'll be a generational talent. Not many guys would spend their weekends lining up on Plugger, Dunstall and Ablett, then waltz into high school on Monday morning!

But I don't disagree. He has athleticism and confidence to burn along with blueprint level physical attributes for this new era of footy.

Was billed as a Rance level defender. Man o man, he could be a lot better than that if he fills out given his kicking and footy nous. Rance took years to develop one, and never really had the other.

I do worry that Day and DGB seem injury prone. Early days and developing bodies and all that, but still lets hope they get a big preseason in and can get some consistent appearances in.
I dont know if DGB is injury prone, he had a knee injury from a contest and a concussion

I dont know if DGB is injury prone, he had a knee injury from a contest and a concussion
And Day had an ankle injured by a tackle, which flared back up after another incident.

Wouldn't worry that he's prone to injury just yet.

That's my pick with the benefit of an AFL pre-season.

More hope than anything given his place in the midfield queue (admittedly I have no idea what the coaches actually place him - just looking from the outside in), but I'd love to see Finn get some midfield minutes to solidify his place. I see a lot of parallels to Nash and being played in a position that's not quite natural to his game (although I do understand the logic in developing him in other areas).

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jai and Nash are my tips for breakout (assuming that means they have already had some time in the system).
Would love for Finn to come on, too, but I don't know how much time he'll get in the seniors.

Most impactful draftee: Looking like a sure Round 1 starter following his performance against Richmond in the AAMI Community Series match, Josh Ward showed class through Hawthorn's midfield. Using the ball effectively and leading Hawthorn for contested possessions, expect Ward to play a prominent part in Hawthorn's midfield this year.

Breakout contender: Earning a late season taste for midfield play in 2021 at AFL level, Conor Nash impressed with his pressure, tackling and ball winning. Nash was one of the Hawks more competitive midfielders in Hawthorn's match which didn't feature either Tom Mitchell or Jaeger O'Meara, and will be looking to establish himself as a part of Hawthorn's best 22.

Rebound season: Missing the 2021 season with a torn ACL, James Sicily was as effective as he was before injury. Sicily took kickouts, hit meaningful targets, took intercept marks and won one-on-one contests during pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love Luke Breust's call on Jackson Callow to be on the money.

The break out performances are most likely coming from the first rounder picks DGB and Sam Ward if they don't get injured.

Now Tyler Brockman has Cyril's number, I'd love to see him get his tackle per game count up to the 5 per game average he held with subiaco. Ramping up that type of fast closing pressure at an elite level would be a breakout performance he is easily capable of.

With leg speed an issue across the board, Butler, Downie and Serong may get a chance to make a strong impression.

As a fan, I'm all chips in on Jai, Nash and Ned Long. The ceiling is not as high as the cream, but they're the ones who can impact the culture.

Back