Roast Which home and away game still burns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which game for you still burns? I have a few, I've left it to home and away due to obvious answers for finals that need not be mentioned

Round 22 2008 vs Port Adelaide

I still don't understand what happened here. We are playing Port, the team 4th last on the ladder and need a win to finish top 4 and take on the Cats who just weeks earlier we had pushed when David "Buddy" Hale kicked 8 against them at Kardinia Park and led to Mike Sheehan say we were the team that could beat Geelong for the flag. It was also Shannon Grants 300th game and it was at the MCG. We went down by 78 points and I still have no idea how or why this happened. The next week we are bundled out against Sydney and half a season later the coach is gone

Round 8 2012 vs Port Adelaide
Again against Port, this time over there, this is when Port were a complete basket case. We were up by 32 points at the 13 minute mark of the final quarter, fast forward 15 minutes and we are down by 2 points and Schultz has kicked his 7th goal to win them the game. It took me a long time to get over this one, I'm getting angry typing it I don't think I am over it yet, it was simply a taste of things to come in 2013

Round 2 2013 vs Geelong
The infamous roof game, up by 35 points at half time we manage to somehow go down by 4 points, the first of many times this would happen during this season, Brad was left yelling about the roof, we were left asking where plan B was for the first of many times.

Round 11 2013 vs Gold Coast
4 goals to zip in the first quarter, Drew and Lindsay on fire we somehow managed to be behind by half time (in the wet) and GAJ ends up with 33 touches and 5 shots on goal. Again we are left asking where plan B is.

Round 9 2019 vs Sydney
The game that cooked Brad Scott. The dumbest quarter of footy possibly played by any team ever. After leading by 2 goals at quarter time we go in 3 goals down at half time despite having most of hte play. Unfortunately we decided leaving Allir Allir alone as a loose man in defence wouldn't hurt us. It was embarrasing to watch, a late rush sees us go down just but it still infuriating. Almost a carbon copy of the round 4 game this year against Hawthorn where we came with a rush.

2013 provided quite a few, one that sticks with me Rd 9 v Crows, a 1 pt loss thanks to the superstar Jared Petrenko.

Definitely 08 v port.

The 2013 games were bad too

The swans game served a purpose

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Which game for you still burns? I have a few, I've left it to home and away due to obvious answers for finals that need not be mentioned

Round 22 2008 vs Port Adelaide

I still don't understand what happened here. We are playing Port, the team 4th last on the ladder and need a win to finish top 4 and take on the Cats who just weeks earlier we had pushed when David "Buddy" Hale kicked 8 against them at Kardinia Park and led to Mike Sheehan say we were the team that could beat Geelong for the flag. It was also Shannon Grants 300th game and it was at the MCG. We went down by 78 points and I still have no idea how or why this happened. The next week we are bundled out against Sydney and half a season later the coach is gone

Round 8 2012 vs Port Adelaide
Again against Port, this time over there, this is when Port were a complete basket case. We were up by 32 points at the 13 minute mark of the final quarter, fast forward 15 minutes and we are down by 2 points and Schultz has kicked his 7th goal to win them the game. It took me a long time to get over this one, I'm getting angry typing it I don't think I am over it yet, it was simply a taste of things to come in 2013

Round 2 2013 vs Geelong
The infamous roof game, up by 35 points at half time we manage to somehow go down by 4 points, the first of many times this would happen during this season, Brad was left yelling about the roof, we were left asking where plan B was for the first of many times.

Round 11 2013 vs Gold Coast
4 goals to zip in the first quarter, Drew and Lindsay on fire we somehow managed to be behind by half time (in the wet) and GAJ ends up with 33 touches and 5 shots on goal. Again we are left asking where plan B is.

Round 9 2019 vs Sydney
The game that cooked Brad Scott. The dumbest quarter of footy possibly played by any team ever. After leading by 2 goals at quarter time we go in 3 goals down at half time despite having most of hte play. Unfortunately we decided leaving Allir Allir alone as a loose man in defence wouldn't hurt us. It was embarrasing to watch, a late rush sees us go down just but it still infuriating. Almost a carbon copy of the round 4 game this year against Hawthorn where we came with a rush.

Well firstly can I just say Uncle_Leo what a lovely thread to cap off a brilliant 2020!

My nomination is rolling over against a pitiful Fremantle at the G at the end of the year - mid 2000's from memory - to blow a finals chance if I recall correctly. That Rd 9 game last year was a great result, it needed to happen as the Scott era had become untenable. Doesn't burn me at all.

That goal frenzy one vs Essadn
That one against the Bears where Voss kicked a point to draw at the Dome
Whenever against Stink Kilda circa Reiwoldt and Gehrig, jeepers we had a couple in that era we should have snagged
Although it was a Cup match in 93, when Chris Woods tried to catch the ball in the last minute of extra time vs Arsenal

* this thread

Petrenko game

Hamish McIntosh miss after the siren vs the Drug Cheats

NicNat game

The game at Adelaide where Ziebell broke his leg and we kicked ~2.6 for the entire four quarters. Edit - RD12 2009 vs Adelaide - Ziebell leg, LT hammy, Pratt shoulder, we kicked 3.6 and lost by 44 points after going scoreless in the first quarter and kicking one goal in two and a half quarters

As mentioned, losing to Port by a bajillion with a top 4 spot on the line in '08

I don't remember when but the game where Paul Stewart kicked the winner while Spud flailed away behind him against Port. That one was enraging

Port kicked 6.5 in the last after kicking 8.6 for the entire first three quarters

Last edited:
Spud giving a 50 away (loved Spud BTW) against Cats on siren to gift the game at Etihad in the wet was a shocker too.......

Spud giving a 50 away (loved Spud BTW) against Cats on siren to gift the game at Etihad in the wet was a shocker too.......

Bartel dived like Greg Louganis on that one, I shattered my phone on that one

2007 vs the Scum when Shagga smashed the ball into the post from the top of the goal square. Got dudded on the 50 meter penalty, should have been lining up from the goal line. If I remember correctly it was LT's first game and I think he kicked 0.5, including a kick out of the air that missed on the death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A game against Sydney where they got a bullshit free kick after the siren. I cant remember who gave away the free kick, but maybe Cresswell kicked it for them?

Shannon Motlop

Round 13 2016. We are sitting on top of the ladder with a 10-2 record. Coming off a disappointing performance against fellow Premiership contenders Geelong the week prior, North has a great opportunity under the Friday Night Lights to pick apart the flaky reigning premiers Hawthorn. Despite battering the Hawks both in the contest and all major stats, our inaccuracy cost us what would have been a morale boosting victory. The Final Score 11.18 (84) to 14.9 (93) is something which still frustrates me to this very day. I can't for certain say that our fortunes would have most definitely changed had we won, however this to me was the beginning of the end of what seemed to have been a dream run in 2016.

During the 1993 season, NMFC played some of the most exciting football I've ever seen, so the fact that we are nothing more than a footnote to the baby bombers has left me a little more than annoyed. So for me, Round 22 1993 v Footscray will always be a game that burns. A win and we finish the regular season on top, but a terrible second quarter killed us, we fought back well, but ended up losing by 2 goals after being 8 goals behind at halftime.

The extra nail in our season 1993 coffin was the injury to Longmire late in the fourth.

Shannon Motlop

Thanks. I wanted to throw the remote control through the TV screen. Also same for that Nik Nat goal after the siren for all the free kicks the West coke duckers got, and the ones we didn't.

Maybe I've watched a lot of footy, but too many games I remember losing on the last kick. At least we got one back when a young Mason Wood milked the clock against the saints... that would have annoyed me if it happened to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back