Roast Which home and away game still burns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 13 2016. We are sitting on top of the ladder with a 10-2 record. Coming off a disappointing performance against fellow Premiership contenders Geelong the week prior, North has a great opportunity under the Friday Night Lights to pick apart the flaky reigning premiers Hawthorn. Despite battering the Hawks both in the contest and all major stats, our inaccuracy cost us what would have been a morale boosting victory. The Final Score 11.18 (84) to 14.9 (93) is something which still frustrates me to this very day. I can't for certain say that our fortunes would have most definitely changed had we won, however this to me was the beginning of the end of what seemed to have been a dream run in 2016.

I'd forgotten about that.

For sheer anger losing to the Gold Coast by 50 points in 2015 would be the one that left me the most stunned.

We were such a shitcampaigner side under Brad.
I hate everything about his tenure.

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
fu**.

I'd forgotten about that.
I haven’t, Matt Rendell kicked 7 that day and every time he’s opened his trap over the past few weeks it’s reminded me.

Round 1 the following year against Carlton we got flogged by 137 points and then in ‘85 against * at Windy Hill we were 104 points behind at half time.

Fox Footy constantly replaying the Round 22 1987 match against Carlton isn’t particularly helpful either.

Apr 12, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic FC, Milwaukee Bucks
Oh man, this thread is for tough reading.

A lot of the games mentioned already really hurt still.

One I remember was at the Gabba (2004?) last round of the season and it was Stevo’s last game and we got absolutely belted. Result wasn’t necessarily a surprise just a horrible way to send a club champ out.

That Gold Coast game in 13 I think we were cruising first quarter, I remember LT in the goal square right in front of me trying to kick the leather of it and missing, killed all our momentum and we ended up getting pantsed by G. Ablett. Was a wet walk to the car and back up the highway.

Another was 2019 with the Thompson “free kick” against the Brions. We played brilliantly and got absolutely rorted with that and then for it to come out and say they got it wrong. Horrible.

****ed if I can remember the year or round cause my brain is just useless at that stuff.

But I remember it was I think against Bulldogs (may have been freo) under the roof. Generally a shitfest from us all game and I'd just had a gutful, as it was like a rotten cherry on the poop sundae of a week for me. So got up to go from the cheap seats in the last quarter and just watch the rest from the standing room near an exit. Goldy got a shot on goal which either would have put us in front or put us close enough to snatch it at the death, and he completely ****ed it. And I could take no more.

But yea, that nicnat game too, * me.

For sheer anger losing to the Gold Coast by 50 points in 2015 would be the one that left me the most stunned.

How shyte was our first quarter? We looked like The Washington Generals playing The Harlem Globetrotters. FMD!

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
During the 1993 season, NMFC played some of the most exciting football I've ever seen, so the fact that we are nothing more than a footnote to the baby bombers has left me a little more than annoyed. So for me, Round 22 1993 v Footscray will always be a game that burns. A win and we finish the regular season on top, but a terrible second quarter killed us, we fought back well, but ended up losing by 2 goals after being 8 goals behind at halftime.

The extra nail in our season 1993 coffin was the injury to Longmire late in the fourth.
oh man flashback. I remember this game was it Ilija grigic kicked 6 or something?

We played you out at Waverley in an elim final as a result.

93 was a wasted year for us too.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 22 2008. Needed to win against a lacklustre Port Adelaide to make it to the top 4. St Kilda needed to win by 110+ to get into the top 4. We get pantsed by Port. We could have gone deep into finals that year after playing some great footy.

The Sydney "draw" also was painful that year.

F*ck the 2008 season overall really.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2007 vs the Scum when Shagga smashed the ball into the post from the top of the goal square. Got dudded on the 50 meter penalty, should have been lining up from the goal line. If I remember correctly it was LT's first game and I think he kicked 0.5, including a kick out of the air that missed on the death.

There were some really soul destroying losses in the 2007-2009 era but by god it was amazing seeing Thomas and Campbell creating chaos and having Harvey and Grant et al. capitalising. We had a pretty decent forward line with Drew coming into this own as well.

But I remember it was I think against Bulldogs (may have been freo) under the roof. Generally a shitfest from us all game and I'd just had a gutful, as it was like a rotten cherry on the poop sundae of a week for me. So got up to go from the cheap seats in the last quarter and just watch the rest from the standing room near an exit. Goldy got a shot on goal which either would have put us in front or put us close enough to snatch it at the death, and he completely f’ed it. And I could take no more.

This was the Nyhuis game

Been covered previously but 4.1 from 9 touches, including the last two of the game. Goldstein receiving the worst free kick in living memory from a ruck contest about 25m out on a slight angle and spraying it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was the Nyhuis game

Been covered previously but 4.1 from 9 touches, including the last two of the game. Goldstein receiving the worst free kick in living memory from a ruck contest about 25m out on a slight angle and spraying it
The ******* Nyhuis game!

Now, back to supressing that s**t.

Thndr

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2015
Mick Martin school of bad looks.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

giphy (30).gif

oh man flashback. I remember this game was it Ilija grigic kicked 6 or something?

We played you out at Waverley in an elim final as a result.

93 was a wasted year for us too.
Ilija kicked six, as did Ben Sexton who kicked 1/5th of his career goals in that one game.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot of tight finishes being mentioned and rightfully so. For me they all trigger hot anger more so than despair.

The one that made me feel the lowest and upset was Rd21 Geelong last year. One record breaking lonely goal... by our ruckman.
And of course... 2001.

Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors, Arsenal FC
Worst thread ever.
After I read through the first 5 or 6 posts I really started feeling a mixture of anger and depression at the memories.

As they say misery loves company.
My contributions, 98 GF...what should have been number 4 at the time.
Us losing to * and gifting them the record of the greatest comeback ever. As a result we have to put up with replay after replay of it on footy flashbacks.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Ilija kicked six, as did Ben Sexton who kicked 1/5th of his career goals in that one game.
At least you didnt let Brodie Holland kick 8 v you.

Yeah you read it right

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hawks 2013 both games. The second one stinging a bit more.

That Franklin push in the back that didn't get paid to Spud and all of a sudden they get momentum.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks. I wanted to throw the remote control through the TV screen. Also same for that Nik Nat goal after the siren for all the free kicks the West coke duckers got, and the ones we didn't.

Maybe I've watched a lot of footy, but too many games I remember losing on the last kick. At least we got one back when a young Mason Wood milked the clock against the saints... that would have annoyed me if it happened to us.

I was at the Nic Nat game sitting behind the goals at the end he kicked the goal. Was just depressing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Heres some more for you fellow sickos

Round 6 2012 vs West Coast

The Dean Cox flapping arm game. He received 5 frees out of the ruck for nothing and we were cheated out of a game. I had the police come to front door after the 3rd as they thought there was something going on inside.

Round 1 2014 vs the Drugcheats

Everyone talked us up all off season, had picked up Dal Santo, Friday night game against that mob round one. And we didn't show up. Shocker.

Round 18 2014 vs Carlton

In the top 8, Friday night again, playing a team in the lower half of the ladder and some bloke wearing 30 goes crazy and kicks 4 for Carlton. Was furious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back