Roast Which home and away game still burns?

Hawthorn fans sitting in our members area. Very close to a large brawl after the siren in this one around Aisle-32 Ground Level...there was a bit going on all game.
That would be my family 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ 😂
Im not one to interrupt other supporters from enjoying their win if North loses. It’s a game after all.
That Friday night I was playing peacekeeper as a North member who used to sit next to us brought his hawthorn mates into the area and left his family at home. After the final siren they began jeering and singing the Hawks song so my brother and cousin both hot headed told them where to go. I pretty much begged them to leave and quickly exit so s**t wouldn’t end up escalating.

That GWS game at the end of 2012 I remember thinking why arent North trying to demolish GWS so they get to play in Vic rather than play us at Subi.

I think it was only like 1 or 2% diff
We had nothing left in the tank
So depressing

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
We had nothing left in the tank
So depressing

Also didn't help coughing up a 5 goal lead in 10mins playing in front of the tarps at Footy Park earlier in the year, or a 6 goal lead against the Eagles in Tassie, or losing to the bottom 4 Dogs, or battling to knock off Gary Ablett and a bunch of kids by a handful of points.

Man, we wasted so many opportunities from 2012-16.

There are many games I could mention here but I've put 'em out of my *en mind no matter what the OP tries to do...

I will mention this one. In 1981 dad moved to Melbourne from Hobart and we followed him at the end of the year when he'd settled. We went to visit in June or July and cos I was a mad North supporter we went and saw * at home in Arden st, first time I'd ever been there.

campaigners.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
During the 1993 season, NMFC played some of the most exciting football I've ever seen, so the fact that we are nothing more than a footnote to the baby bombers has left me a little more than annoyed. So for me, Round 22 1993 v Footscray will always be a game that burns. A win and we finish the regular season on top, but a terrible second quarter killed us, we fought back well, but ended up losing by 2 goals after being 8 goals behind at halftime.

The extra nail in our season 1993 coffin was the injury to Longmire late in the fourth.

How many games did we lose in 1993 by less than a goal.... felt like 8. was only 3.

This 6 weeks of footy was easily the most thrilling and gut-wrenching s**t I've ever had to endure.

1608718445001.png

We lost to Fitzroy after beating Peak WCE in Perth. so ******* North.

Last edited:

dollarscost

Debutant
Oct 10, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Loads of awful memories flooding back from this thread. I don't think this one has been mentioned yet, but it still absolutely infuriates me to this day.

Round 18, 2019 vs. Brisbane

The infamous flop of Oscar McInerney 20 meters out from goal with a minute left to give him a routine kick for goal to put them in front. The biggest bloke on the field going down like he'd been shot after the slightest of touches from Scooter - I was fuming for days. I still can't stand Brisbane because of this very match.

After we copped years worth of sub-6 point losses in that one season, this was the cherry on top. F*** me sideways.

Hopper10

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2012
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At Manuka Oval back in the Canberra days V Dogs, wind chill about -10, kids dressed up for the snow and we led by 38 at 3\4 time. It was a long drive back to Wagga after that last quarter capitulation.
The 94 final V Geelong, if only MM was 1.5cm taller, not H&A but still burns deep.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Round 13 2016. We are sitting on top of the ladder with a 10-2 record. Coming off a disappointing performance against fellow Premiership contenders Geelong the week prior, North has a great opportunity under the Friday Night Lights to pick apart the flaky reigning premiers Hawthorn. Despite battering the Hawks both in the contest and all major stats, our inaccuracy cost us what would have been a morale boosting victory. The Final Score 11.18 (84) to 14.9 (93) is something which still frustrates me to this very day. I can't for certain say that our fortunes would have most definitely changed had we won, however this to me was the beginning of the end of what seemed to have been a dream run in 2016.

I dunno which came first this or the * game.

The * was a sit show from the minit I got in having to sit in the last row of the Northern End Level 3 because it was their Home game...and all those fair weather fans didn’t show so there were miles of empty seats on both Wings.

We continued our blitz in the first half.

Then Mase took Mark of the day and ko’d himself. I think we got a Jacobs injury or something else and the second half unravelled. We ended up winning unconvincingly after giving up a good lead.

The * fans cheered their lot off and I vomited into my mouth a little bit.

To me this game was the beginning of 4 years of misery.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
During the 1993 season, NMFC played some of the most exciting football I've ever seen, so the fact that we are nothing more than a footnote to the baby bombers has left me a little more than annoyed. So for me, Round 22 1993 v Footscray will always be a game that burns. A win and we finish the regular season on top, but a terrible second quarter killed us, we fought back well, but ended up losing by 2 goals after being 8 goals behind at halftime.

The extra nail in our season 1993 coffin was the injury to Longmire late in the fourth.
Can confirm I was there that day and you also forgot JYD bring reported and suspended and missing the next crap game v Eagles Final

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Most of mine have been mentioned already but to add a couple more.

Round 21, 1991 against Fitzroy at Princes Park. Were in the 6 almost all year, were only the second side to beat the Eagle a couple of weeks earlier but had to win at least one of our last three games to play finals with tough games against Geelong and the Crows away in the fortnight after this. The Lions had only won 1 game for the year to this point so this was a gimme. Lost by a point 148-147 with John Ironmonger mauling us.

Was at this game as well. Was behind the big score board goals. In the first q Rocky got smashed. Horse went over and grabbed the Lions bloke by the collar and to this day I can remember him screaming “you ******* campaigner”. I looked back at the attendance once and it was a pitiful size crowd and explains why my ears were so deeply offended.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Most of mine have been mentioned already but to add a couple more.

Round 21, 1991 against Fitzroy at Princes Park. Were in the 6 almost all year, were only the second side to beat the Eagle a couple of weeks earlier but had to win at least one of our last three games to play finals with tough games against Geelong and the Crows away in the fortnight after this. The Lions had only won 1 game for the year to this point so this was a gimme. Lost by a point 148-147 with John Ironmonger mauling us. The Cats and Crows smashed us. Missed the finals.

Round 19, 2003. Similarly, a must win game for any finals chance against a good Dockers side who'd never beaten us in Melbourne. Led at every change. Still held the lead with under 2mins to go. Scores level with 10secs left. Lost by a point. Miss the finals.

As for thrashings - Brad Scott's first game in Melbourne in 2010. We were eight goals down against the Saints at 1/4 time without having had an inside-50. At one point early in the second quarter the score was 61-0.
I hobbled into that game after being in a car accident the night before. Good times.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Back