Roast Which home and away game still burns?

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
2007 against West Coast at Etihad. I've always put this game in the same category as the 94 prelim. Robbed!
Just looked up this game. Seems (on paper) we were up most of the day by 2-3 goals and that was the final margin. Why were NM robbed? Or are you thinking of that one Leigh Harding missed from close range one year?

The Dougster

All Australian
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just looked up this game. Seems (on paper) we were up most of the day by 2-3 goals and that was the final margin. Why were NM robbed? Or are you thinking of that one Leigh Harding missed from close range one year?
The umpiring was atrocious. Cox, Cousins & Kerr were on fire and so were the maggots. Judd sat in a pocket that game struggling with OP

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also the Collingwood one at the G where it was pissing with rain, we were 6 goals up and blew it. Gibbo OOF twice, poor bloody Robbie Nahas trying to fire up our "senior" players, many of whom looked shellshocked or couldn't GAF.

fu** this thread.

This is the game I told my Collingwood supporting mate (who wanted to leave at halftime mind), you’ll win this relax.

I just knew we’d fold.

The two OOF and then the MacMillan contest (if you want to call it that) with Swan sent me over the edge for longer than it should have.

Historically speaking, The two one point losses to Fitzroy in 1991 and 1993. Nothing beats that miserable ******* Tram ride back to the City after throwing away finals (1991, which would have been my first semiconscious Final) or Top Spot (1993 after beating WCE in Perth) to s**t teams at that dung hole.

Well maybe Round 22, 2008 or Tippa (anyone, ANYONE?)

The catalogue of fraudulence and bed-shitting is endless and would be hilarious if it wasn’t us.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
This is the game I told my Collingwood supporting mate (who wanted to leave at halftime mind), you’ll win this relax.

I just knew we’d fold.

The two OOF and then the MacMillan contest (if you want to call it that) with Swan sent me over the edge for longer than it should have.

Historically speaking, The two one point losses to Fitzroy in 1991 and 1993. Nothing beats that miserable ******* Tram ride back to the City after throwing away finals (1991, which would have been my first semiconscious Final) or Top Spot (1993 after beating WCE in Perth) to sh*t teams at that dung hole.

Well maybe Round 22, 2008 or Tippa (anyone, ANYONE?)

The catalogue of fraudulence and bed-shitting is endless and would be hilarious if it wasn’t us.

As soon as the ball was in the air and I glanced at the match up in the goal square......

Round: 8 Venue: Football Park Date: Sun, 16-May-1993 5:38 PM (6:08 PM) Attendance: 45562

North v Crows

3/4 time North lead the Crows by 26pts.

Crows 13.8.86
North 17.10.112

Final 1/4, Modra goes crazy leaping for everything (infamous photo of him riding Archers back is from this 1/4), kicks a bag in the last, 10 goals 1 for the game. Crows kick 6.1 in the final 1/4, North kick 1 goal 3. Crows win by 2pts.

Final score.

Crows 19.9.123
North 18.13.121

This loss cost us bigtime in the end. At the end of the Home and Away season we finished in 3rd spot half a game behind Essendon and Carlton who both finished on equal points, and who we both beat during the year by 38pts. Under the McIntyre final 6 system, we as 3rd highest side had to play an elimination final against the Eagles at Waverly. We lost that and our season finished. If we'd won the game against the Crows we'd have finished 1st and played Essendon in the Qualifying Final and received a double chance if we lost that game.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Round: 8 Venue: Football Park Date: Sun, 16-May-1993 5:38 PM (6:08 PM) Attendance: 45562

North v Crows

Crows 13.8.86
North 17.10.112

Final 1/4, Modra goes crazy leaping for everything (infamous photo of him riding Archers back is from this 1/4), kicks a bag in the last, 10 goals 1 for the game. Crows kick 6.1 in the final 1/4, North kick 1 goal 3. Crows win by 2pts.

Final score.

Crows 19.9.123
North 18.13.121

This loss cost us bigtime in the end. At the end of the Home and Away season we finished in 3rd spot half a game behind Essendon and Carlton who both finished on equal points, and who we both beat during the year by 38pts. Under the McIntyre final 6 system, we as 3rd highest side had to play an elimination final against the Eagles at Waverly. We lost that and our season finished. If we'd won the game against the Crows we'd have finished 1st and played Essendon in the Qualifying Final and received a double chance if we lost that game.
Fair point but I remember the commentators at the end saying what a great game it was and how far North had come. Was hard to be too disappointed.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair point but I remember the commentators at the end saying what a great game it was and how far North had come. Was hard to be too disappointed.

Yep lost to the Crows by 147pts during the preseason game, Schima sacked, Pagan in, everyone talking about us winning the spoon.

As round 15's AFL Record pointed out, North Melbourne's 9-4 record included four narrow losses.

Two had been by a single point, including a comeback defeat the previous round by lowly Fitzroy. It had left the Roos smarting.

There were hiccups along the way, including consecutive losses in rounds 13 and 14 as well as rounds 17 and 18, but North went into the final round on top of the table. Unfortunately, it was a 10-goal second term by Footscray in the final round that proved costly for Pagan's team. The Roos lost by 10 points, effectively costing themselves a second chance in the finals.

.......but Pagan's young North team ran out of gas, losing three of its remaining six home and away games before bowing out of the finals via a week one thrashing from West Coast.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

North v Crows

Crows 13.8.86
North 17.10.112

Final score.

Crows 19.9.123
North 18.13.121

Think modra was riding Martyn’s back and Archer nearly got as high as modra trying to spoil.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Was at the game, went back to the hotel to have a few beers, feeling shattered. Happened to be the same hotel the team was at. Coaches lob in to have a beer of 2, (Denis on the lights). Russell Greene, the runner at the time, comes over and introduces himself, joins us for a beer and says “you blokes are in for some good times”. We were instantly walking a lot taller.

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Which game for you still burns? I have a few, I've left it to home and away due to obvious answers for finals that need not be mentioned

Round 8 2012 vs Port Adelaide
Again against Port, this time over there, this is when Port were a complete basket case. We were up by 32 points at the 13 minute mark of the final quarter, fast forward 15 minutes and we are down by 2 points and Schultz has kicked his 7th goal to win them the game. It took me a long time to get over this one, I'm getting angry typing it I don't think I am over it yet, it was simply a taste of things to come in 2013

This. I was as p1ssed off after this game as any that I can remember.

To the point that I posted my membership back to the club on Monday.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As soon as the ball was in the air and I glanced at the match up in the goal square......

Some people would call this confirmation bias but I prefer to call it evidence.

22:55 MacMillan on his knees in the mud after throwing himself away from the contest.

What more can you say?

This. I was as p1ssed off after this game as any that I can remember.

To the point that I posted my membership back to the club on Monday.

Floggish, but I like it.

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee

Some people would call this confirmation bias but I prefer to call it evidence.

22:55 MacMillan on his knees in the mud after throwing himself away from the contest.

What more can you say?

Floggish, but I like it.

Every man has to make a stand at some point in their life. That was mine.

Think modra was riding Martyn’s back and Archer nearly got as high as modra trying to spoil.
Modra won the mark of the year twice, in 1993 and 1997.

1993 Modra won mark of the year for his effort in the come from behind win against us, with Fairly and Archer trying to stop him.
1993 mark of the year..jpg

Modras 1997 mark of the year was over Mickey Martyn.
1997 Mark of the year.jpg

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Modra won the mark of the year twice, in 1993 and 1997.

1993 Modra won mark of the year for his effort in the come from behind win against us, with Fairly and Archer trying to stop him.
View attachment 1065911

Modras 1997 mark of the year was over Mickey Martyn.
View attachment 1065912

Yeah I mixed the two up.
Mickey just backed in perfect for someone with a good leap - Howe would have a bday on him.
Even in the 90s we gave up some big leads.

Back