Toast Which home and away game still soothes the soul?

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a thread to be the antithesis of Leo's (still very valid) burn thread.

I'll start.

Round 1 1998, probably the meat in the sandwich of two very burning seasons. Good start to the year after the way 1997 ended. Simmo with an errant snap beautifully sheparded by Pikey in the the last couple of minutes.

Same year ironically (can't remember how this season ended...) but a couple of huge plays in round 22 to get us over the line and get top spot.

Ha. Brilliant thread.

The classics blur a bit for me but of recent years...
Carlton game where LT ascended to a higher tier of existence is up there for me as far as pure magical football and I usually enjoy watching our obliteration of Adelaide in Tasmania. It's everything for the latter: us on the foot of the ladder, Adelaide absolutely flying and then they just run into an absolute steam roller. It's not hurt by the fact that a pulled off a ridiculous North by 40+ bet as well as a 5 way multi - all of which were massive outsiders that weekend. I think I pocketed around $2.5-3k all up in a day of fun.

Need a thread to be the antithesis of Leo's (still very valid) burn thread.

I'll start.

Round 1 1998, probably the meat in the sandwich of two very burning seasons. Good start to the year after the way 1997 ended. Simmo with an errant snap beautifully sheparded by Pikey in the the last couple of minutes.

Same year ironically (can't remember how this season ended...) but a couple of huge plays in round 22 to get us over the line and get top spot.

That Bulldogs game for top spot immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. Great night , 68000 there and, if you wanted an example of how great our game can be, then this game would be it, and we won!

The bulldogs game with Ziebell kicking the winner after a string of possessions from deep in defence. Went from head in my hands despondent to jumping round like a madman as they moved the ball up. One of the few games ive been with my brother. Good times.

Ha. Brilliant thread.

The classics blur a bit for me but of recent years...
Carlton game where LT ascended to a higher tier of existence is up there for me as far as pure magical football

I usually enjoy watching our obliteration of Adelaide in Tasmania. It's everything for the latter: us on the foot of the ladder, Adelaide absolutely flying and then they just run into an absolute steam roller. It's not hurt by the fact that a pulled off a ridiculous North by 40+ bet as well as a 5 way multi - all of which were massive outsiders that weekend. I think I pocketed around $2.5-3k all up in a day of fun.

The absolute best of W80 on show here

The absolute best of W80 on show here

Love Waite. Hard to believe given the limited years and so many great players but I reckon he's in my top 4-5 favourite North players to watch over the last 10-15 years. Was pure entertainment, amazing skill and passion.

Round 15 1993 V Essendon.

Longmire and McAdam kicked 6 and Carey Kicked 4. Schwass, Stevens and Rock were top possession winners with 29, 24 and 23 respectively.

The final quarter is perhaps the best quarter of football I've seen, we started 10pts behind and kicked 8.8 to a goal to win by 38. Carey was unbelievable in the fourth, Longmire and Roberts weren't that far behind. The umpires did everything they could to keep the game close, but the when the dam burst Essendon had no answer and looked totally second rate.

Last edited:

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 16 2001.

R242014WrightMark.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Round 15 1993 V Essendon.

Longmire and McAdam kicked 6 and Carey Kicked 4. Schwass, Stevens and Rock were top possession winners with 29, 24 and 23 respectively.

The final quarter is perhaps the best quarter of football I've seen, we started 10pts behind and kicked 8.8 to a goal to win by 38. Carey was unbelievable in the fourth, Longmire and Roberts weren't that far behind. The umpires did everything they could to keep the game close, but the when the dam burst Essendon had no answer and looked totally second rate.

I went to this game. Was amazing.

The King dominated.

One I always think of for North Melbourne games is that game at footy park v port where archer kicked the winner. may have been the 1st game post carey?

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Two completely unexpected wins.

R1 2002 over Port in Adelaide - they finished top the previous year and we were trying to emerge from The Unpleasantness. Archer forward to get a goal to help seal it, chaired off with our brand new captain, Stevo.

And breaking the streak again St Kilda in 2009. Such a great game to be at, and my little boy was really into it (back when he was three and hadn't gone over to the dark side). Got high-fived by complete strangers leaving that game in my North gear.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And breaking the streak again St Kilda in 2009. Such a great game to be at, and my little boy was really into it (back when he was three and hadn't gone over to the dark side). Got high-fived by complete strangers leaving that game in my North gear.

i loved that one. not many people would describe swallow as a match winner, but he was one in that last quarter.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 22 1998 win over the Bulldogs was one of the best games I’ve ever seen live and one of the best pure footy matches of the 90s, the fact fox repeats it often and even channel 7s flashbacks as well is proof of that. Magical night with 70,000 at the G.

That Friday night win over Carlton in 2010 where LT went nuts is also up there. Massive build up to that game where we simply had to show something, thankfully we delivered.

Dont remember the round but 99 when we smashed Adelaide at the G, it will never make up for the grand final obviously but I wanted us to smash them so bad, unlike the grand final we finished them off nice and early winning by about 10 goals.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surprised no-one nabbed this one yet.

The " Nathan Thompson " bicep flex game v the Pies at Colonial. Bucks with a late shot to give them a 24 point lead ? Missed 🤣
Then Arch, Shagga, Bommer, Wellsy, Drew, Pratty all pivotal last q.touches for victory. Alot of North supporters around us had left as it was an away game. Ground surface pretty crappy too if remembered correctly.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Surprised no-one nabbed this one yet.

The " Nathan Thompson " bicep flex game v the Pies at Colonial. Bucks with a late shot to give them a 24 point lead ? Missed 🤣
Then Arch, Bommer, Wellsy, Drew, Pratty all pivotal last q.touches for victory. Alot of North supporters around us had left as it was an away game. Ground surface pretty crappy too if remembered correctly.
Can confirm that I was present

Okay we are all sickos and yes I wewnt down a bad path in the other thread but how about wins you look back on and love

No point mentioning McCartney game as thats obvious and also any time we have beaten the scum but here are a few others

Round 3 2005 vs St Kilda

Shagga goes crazy in the last seven minutes with 3 goals and after being 17 points down with that long to go we get up. Was a huge win

Round 19 2005 vs Collingwood

The Thommo double cobra, unbelievable last 5 minutes to get up and win. Also basically secured us a finals spot.

Round 1 2003 vs St Kilda

Wellsys first game and the Saints were being talked up big time, Baird took Riewoldt to the cleaners and it was reaching orgasmic levels in the stands with a couple of things Wellsy did

Round 3 2004 vs Carlton

The free kick on the boundary, Wellsy goes back and slots it from nearly 50, great game and a great win

Round 4 2014 vs Sydney

Beating them up there, Nahas first game. It felt like we had finally arrived

Round 21 2015 vs Fremantle

Freo top of the ladder, we are fighting for a finals spot, remember thinking we can go deep in the finals now.

Round 15 2019 vs Collingwood

Had this form continued who knows what could have been, the best I had seen a North team play in years

Round 14 1999 vs Brisbane

Our 10th win in a row, Stevo kicks a goal from 50 just before the siren to win us the game

Round 1 2002 vs Port

First game after the Carey ordeal, we were given no chance, unbelievable win

Round 19 2004 vs Sydney

Corey Jones goal after being 40 down at 3 quarter time, incredible

Back