Which interstate clubs have the biggest & smallest followings in Victoria?

Which interstate club is most popular in Victoria?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2012
East Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Being a Melbourne based Eagles supporter myself, i thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.

My analysis from most popular to least popular:
Sydney: Like the Brisbane Lions, have a big following in Melbourne due to the South Melbourne relocation. The Melbourne vs Sydney city rivalry and the Swans long line of star players could also be playing a factor in them getting good Melbourne crowds.
Brisbane Lions: Obviously have many Victorian based supporters due to the Fitzroy merger and usually tend to attract respectable crowds here. If they were a top tier team of late on the field then who knows what kind of crowds they would be getting in Melbourne.
West Coast: Judging by Bigfooty, personal experience and crowd figures we seem to have a pretty strong following in Victoria, in fact many of the biggest H&A crowds for an interstate club in Victoria have involved the Eagles. It seems after the 05/06 grand finals and Ben Cousins scandal interest in the club skyrocketed in Melbourne.
Adelaide: Similar to West Coast since they tend to attract pretty big crowds in Melbourne for an interstate club.
Gold Coast: For some reason they've managed to attract decent crowds in Melbourne thus far.
Port Adelaide: Have never attracted big crowds in Melbourne, and you never see many Port people in Melbourne crowds when you watch games, although i could be wrong on this since i'm obviously not speaking from personal experience here.
Fremantle: Were traditionally the least popular interstate club in Victoria in terms of crowd figures.
Greater Western Sydney: Maybe a bit too early to make a judgement yet but they've clearly gotten the lowest crowds in Melbourne out of all the interstate teams. Also there doesn't seem to be many Victorian based GWS posters on Bigfooty.

Port crowd in Melbourne for the Preliminary Final last year

184820-130f081a-4090-11e4-9fcd-2dc30e9f71be.jpg

Can't really use finals as a benchmark. Freo had thousands flying over for the 2013 GF but you definitely can say that their following in Melbourne is small, especially when you look at the crowds for their Victorian games.

It was a prelim and Adelaide's proximity to Melbourne would be most of those would be travelling fans. I wouldn't show a pic of the Purple army marching to the G in 2013 as evidence of a huge Freo fanbase in Melbourne.

Sydney & Brisbane Are logically the best supported.

I reckon the crows being as insular as they are would turn a lot of non-SAliens off of them

Brisbane
West Coast/Sydney

Port Adelaide
Adelaide

Gold Coast/Fremantle

Greater Western Sydney

It was a prelim and Adelaide's proximity to Melbourne would be most of those would be travelling fans. I wouldn't show a pic of the Purple army marching to the G in 2013 as evidence of a huge Freo fanbase in Melbourne.

I doubt you'd have one to match.

Still an impressive achievement in gathering that many supporters in one area all at the same time nonetheless....That line seemingly goes on forever & minds one of pictures from the Second World wars....Great orchestration & must be close to 20,000 people in that one shot alone.

You'd hate to be the gate-keeper.:eek:

I doubt you'd have one to match.

Still an impressive achievement in gathering that many supporters in one area all at the same time nonetheless....That line seemingly goes on forever & minds one of pictures from the Second World wars....Great orchestration & must be close to 20,000 people in that one shot alone.

You'd hate to be the gate-keeper.:eek:

Did you go to the 2013 GF, out of interest? Here's a pic and a vid to illustrate similar numbers, not claiming we have some juggernaut fan base in Melbourne though. There are better ones around but cbf digging them up. The Grand Final parade was almost overwhelmingly purple too.

2uogop4.jpg

With competent planning and organisation it's not that difficult to get a shot like this for a prelim/GF, doesn't really tell you anything about the size of the fan base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you go to the 2013 GF, out of interest? Here's a pic and a vid to illustrate similar numbers, not claiming we have some juggernaut fan base in Melbourne though. There are better ones around but cbf digging them up. The Grand Final parade was almost overwhelmingly purple too.

2uogop4.jpg

With competent planning and organisation it's not that difficult to get a shot like this for a prelim/GF, doesn't really tell you anything about the size of the fan base.

Of course had they put more planes, trains and automobiles on perhaps Melbourne may have looked more like Freo.

Grand-Final-Parade-crowd.jpg

Can't really use finals as a benchmark. Freo had thousands flying over for the 2013 GF but you definitely can say that their following in Melbourne is small, especially when you look at the crowds for their Victorian games.

Well Port had a pretty strong crowd in their Round 17 match against Richmond at Etihad. After Matt White kicks this goal you can see a faor portion of Port supporters in the cheer squad cheering after it.

My twin 4 year old nieces live in melbourne, there old man is a Collingwood supporter.
But I converted them to WCE supporters and brought them junior membership.
They loved the interstate membership pack so much, and a couple of shirts I brought them they took it to
kinda. The other kids got jealous, so much so that 4 parents brought WCE membership packs as well.
They all plan on going to eagles games together in melbourne this year.

I'd wager a guess that when GWS were giving Melbourne a massive kicking late last year at the MCG despite their players being injured, they were pretty popular with the rest of Victoria. I had a good laugh anyway.

I like how a Victorian thread turns into a freo v port shite fight instead haha

Back