Opinion Which is it? Underperforming or results true to ability?

Which is it?

• Underperforming given list quality

• Results commensurate with substandard list quality

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a thought.

The culmination of some very game influencing bench and umpiring laws of recent has changed the game. Coaches are playing catch-up, and our coach is no different to a lot of them getting caught out on what is and what is not good strategy in today's game. This is what is causing uneven formlines throughout the league, not just us.

On the evidence displayed this season, I don't know how you couldn't.

They lost easily at home to west coast who are awful travellers.

They beat up on bottom teams in brisbane and carlton.

I am not sure if they are better than us (they may be) but they are no better than average. Every team is an average team really this year IMO.

Whether we are below average or not the next month will tell.

We need to change our system when we play at the MCG. Do we have the time and do we have the cattle?

You're the complete opposite of Geelong_crazy. Most others sit somewhere in between.

I think getting cockatoo in form and playing midfield, getting mccarthy gregson and parfitt back in the front half and bews attacking well will help our legspeed issues at the G but its not just personnel we have to change form and gameplan too.

I think getting cockatoo in form and playing midfield, getting mccarthy gregson and parfitt back in the front half and bews attacking well will help our legspeed issues at the G but its not just personnel we have to change form and gameplan too.

All LTI's

Our list is better than the show we delivered on Saturday. What we dished out on Saturday was insipid at every level. A couple more pathetic losses like that and we are history. But 2017 being the crazy year it is shaping to be, with no team dominating on a consistent basis, anything is possible. Who would have picked Adelaide to be easily beaten in successive games?

I can't help but think if our scorecard in R1-8 looked like this - L W W L W W L W we'd be saying that was about right.

For the first time I am fearful that the team is not responding to the coach. How else do you explain the pathetic tackle count, and complete absence of a game plan in the 1H?

In conclusion, if we play true to our ability - as demonstrated in 2016 and R1-5 2017, we can beat anyone. I am not confident playing true to our ability is at the forefront of the players' thinking.

Is this sitting on the fence?
You sum it up pretty bloody well Sttew.

Problem is though, McCarthy and Gregson may be both months away, and Cockatoo doesn't look close to performing as a full time midfielder yet.

Lol no.

His rundown tackles have been fantastic all year and he took a great mark back with the flight in this last qtr on sat night.

He can defend and is the least of our issues.

I said he has been good this season ownage apart from last game. For the most part he has been one of our best but I referenced his Carlton stuff because my friends are very observant and loyal Carlton supporters and defensively they and I thought sometime he wasn't great.

Just an example from early last season

Screenshot_2017-05-15-16-08-18.png

They lost easily at home to west coast who are awful travellers.

They beat up on bottom teams in brisbane and carlton.

I am not sure if they are better than us (they may be) but they are no better than average. Every team is an average team really this year IMO.

Whether we are below average or not the next month will tell.
Any team that can have 18 goals kicked against them by the Gold Coast is below average.I don't need another month.

Any team that can have 18 goals kicked against them by the Gold Coast is below average.I don't need another month.

On that game solely true but i want to see the next few weeks. That good article on the afl site today by peter ryan shows how our pressure has broken down and the effect. If we can respond to that both tactically and in intensity we will quickly come back from below average as on ability we are better than that.

Next month against some good teams will be telling.

I said he has been good this season ownage apart from last game. For the most part he has been one of our best but I referenced his Carlton stuff because my friends are very observant and loyal Carlton supporters and defensively they and I thought sometime he wasn't great.

Just an example from early last season

View attachment 370817

I didnt watch him heaps at carlton so your friend would know better there.

My point was he has won a lot of crucial goal saving 1 on 1 contests for us this year so we know he can and does do it.

No doubt sometimes he plays off his man and attacks but thats under instruction because we have so little overlap run and he is good at it.

There's no magic bullet but I'd start with our piss poor defence - opposition move it with ease from our forwardline and we basically don't touch it unless they kick a point , otherwise it's back in the middle for a centre bounce. Ridiculously easy to play against over the last 3 weeks. Less than 20 tackles in a half - give me a break FFS
My biggest fear is that we started uber fit and now the rest of the comp has caught up , will be a long season if that's the case :(
Ball movement , team balance , forward pressure and more ruthless selection also need addressing.

The optimist in me says this is an incredibly even season and we will have our dodgy moments but at 5 : 3 with some tough ones to come we will need to find our mojo very , very smartly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sum it up pretty bloody well Sttew.
Well, it's all good then. Phew, I thought there was something wrong with the way we're playing or the commitment/intensity of the players...lucky we are still on track and going fine CONSIDERING the topsy turvy season that it is. :huh:

This is classic Geelong speak.

EIGHTEEN goals...SUNS. Dang, when you put it like thato_O
How many did they kick against PORT? FOUR?!

Now that is Perspective!!!

All LTI's

Correct thats why i said we need to try and win as many of the simonds games (where the ground shape helps us cover our lack of pace) and we need all those guys back fit and in form by about round 20.

Without them i cant see us winning much on the bigger ground of the MCG.

Correct thats why i said we need to try and win as many of the simonds games (where the ground shape helps us cover our lack of pace) and we need all those guys back fit and in form by about round 20.

Likewise.
Seems since partfitt went down we have lost all defensive pressure through the half forward line.

Problem is though, McCarthy and Gregson may be both months away, and Cockatoo doesn't look close to performing as a full time midfielder yet.

Cockatoo is just a question of continuity i am seeing flashes of elite ability that i dont see in all our other young players he just needs to not have the constant injuries he has had.

But yes he needs to find form in the second half of the year and those other players i mentioned we need back.

With them in we can drop some of our slower and less ability players and change the dynamic of the team.

Likewise.
Seems since partfitt went down we have lost all defensive pressure through the half forward line.

Yeah our defensive pressure has gone from good to awful and while its not all personnel based it doesnt help.

There's no magic bullet but I'd start with our piss poor defence - opposition move it with ease from our forwardline and we basically don't touch it unless they kick a point , otherwise it's back in the middle for a centre bounce. Ridiculously easy to play against over the last 3 weeks. Less than 20 tackles in a half - give me a break FFS
My biggest fear is that we started uber fit and now the rest of the comp has caught up , will be a long season if that's the case :(
Ball movement , team balance , forward pressure and more ruthless selection also need addressing.

The optimist in me says this is an incredibly even season and we will have our dodgy moments but at 5 : 3 with some tough ones to come we will need to find our mojo very , very smartly

I still think we are fit see the last q4 last night.

The other issue is our goalkicking which was great the first month has gone downhill. We still defend ok from center bounce clearances but our defence from kickouts isnt great so its giving the opposition lots of extra opportunities to score.

While I agree on face value we are struggling more on the wider open grounds it doesn't explain the fumbling that's getting us caught and stopping our own quick forward entries.If we are bundled out of the top 8 this week it will be the fumbles more than anything else over a month of footy that were the main culprit.

There are a couple of ways of playing this game.
1. Man-on-Man.
2. Zone football, where you man up on the opposition as they move through your area.

Geelong is doing neither. We are playing a new brand of football called, Fill-the-Space. This is an ingenious brand of football cunning where you stand approximately 5 meters from any opposition player. You allow them to have several options as they move the ball from their defense to their forward line. The slyness of this is that you can lull the opposition into thinking this 'contact free' kick and mark caper is sort of easy as they rack up the possessions without much pressure at all. Then, when they approach their forward fifty you ramp up the pressure by standing in...you know what...SPACE. This means that they have to be precise with their final kick to spot up a forward. It is inevitable that they will TURN-OVER the ball because in the law of averages you can't spot up a free target more than 7-8 times in a row. The brilliance of this new game plan is that we will get the football at this point (66.6% chance) and we will have all our players free...remember they haven't been manning up and have been guarding space...meaning they will be in space when the opposition make that final error. THEN, and here is the true brilliance of the Chris Scott FILL-THE-SPACE football, we will fly down the ground players running free and we'll look dangerous and exciting.

I personally love the NON-CONTACT nature of this type of football. After all, man-on-man is outdated and old school. No one wins like that anymore...except Fremantle of course.

I didnt watch him heaps at carlton so your friend would know better there.

My point was he has won a lot of crucial goal saving 1 on 1 contests for us this year so we know he can and does do it.

No doubt sometimes he plays off his man and attacks but thats under instruction because we have so little overlap run and he is good at it.

For Geelong this season he has been our best defender no question. Yeah it's hard marking when your getting belted and the smalls are dominating it might be more some pre conceived notions I have from his Carlton days. Aside essendon when everyone played poorly and he was far from our worst he has been very good. I do get a touch with our small defenders how many goals we are conceding to smalls but that could be more this zone and giving smalls open hit ups.

Yeah attacking and creating from half back is his best role in the team. No one else has shown an ability to play that role. Possibly a mitch Duncan type but we need him in the middle thurlow is the obvious one just in incredibly bad form.

And our VFL side had a stinker on the weekend I only made it to about 15mins into the last qtr so I'm not sure who is coming in to help out currently.

Well, it's all good then. Phew, I thought there was something wrong with the way we're playing or the commitment/intensity of the players...lucky we are still on track and going fine CONSIDERING the topsy turvy season that it is. :huh:

This is classic Geelong speak.
Cool story bro.

Quite simply underperforming, yiu don't win games on merit we have the Cattle we just arnt executing the plan/structures and that's the most frustrating thing is in an even yiu can can genuinely snag a flag

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back