Which is your preferred bowling attack of 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
If all 4 world class quicks are fit and available, along with lyon - which is your preferred 4?

i don't think we will ever see the 5 of them play in the one side (although patto's batting ave matches m.marsh's :) )

cummins 139 @ 22
patto 81 @ 26
hazlewood 195 @ 26
starc 240 @ 27
lyon 380 @ 32

arguably our best attack since mcgrath/gillespie/lee/warne

for me patto or starc gets the last spot.

Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon the locks.

Starc v Patto comes down to form and fitness and is a far harder call than it was six months ago. For all Cooley is spoken of as the devil incarnate on here, whatever the bowling coaches (and Starc himself, obviously) have been doing over the last few months is definitely working.

Cummins & Pattinson to me are locks. Cummins is a beast and by the time the World Championship comes around, Patto will be seen as the best on the planet. He’s building slowly, and a lot of people in the Aus setup are excited at what his next 18 months are going to look like.
Lyon should also be a lock majority of the time.

I’d then pick the new and improved Mitchell Starc, but it’s a case by case scenario.

It's really a toss up between Patto and Starc pending on form, fitness and conditions like the others have said. Good time for Australian cricket having 4 quality quicks and a spinner.

Nathan Lyon; Lock. Obvious but no other spinner in the country gets close to the GOAT.

Pat Cummins; With his rapid improvement with his control and consistency over the past 24 months, it allows greater flexibility to who rounds out our attack. Cummins ability to play multiple roles allows us to go with any of Starc, Hazelwood or Pattinson.

Mitch Starc; The quickest of our lot and a genuine match winner. Another whose consistency has really improved over the last 18 months has helped allow him lead the line on occasions when others were struggling.

James Pattinson; I like what Hazelwood does but Patto is on a whole different level. Quick, aggressive, can sing the ball or move it around off the seam, will stand by the call that if we saw him for 80% of the time since his debut (he debuted in the exact same match as David Warner as a comparison) he would be on a Dale Steyn level greatness.

----Josh Hazelwood; I like his control but the potency of the "big 3" is what gets them the nod. I understand he is a nagging style bowler but now, Cummins plays that role as does Patto at times.

It's really a toss up between Patto and Starc pending on form, fitness and conditions like the others have said. Good time for Australian cricket having 4 quality quicks and a spinner.

I don't understand how Starc is in competition with anyone to be honest. He is the quickest of our battery, he is a genuine swing bowler and being a left armer helps his cause for selection.

I'd like to try all 5 of them in. Pattinson at 7 is a weakness, but all four quicks would lighten the load on each of them and be relentlessly lethal. We have five world class bowlers, only three world class bats.

IIRC Starc Hazelwood Cummins and Pattinson all were young bucks coming through around 2011 and now they are world beaters. Yet they all had spectacular starts . Injuries have plagued them obviously. My questions is where are the new young bucks? Do we have another crop like them ready to come through- or is the cupboard pretty bare?

IIRC Starc Hazelwood Cummins and Pattinson all were young bucks coming through around 2011 and now they are world beaters. Yet they all had spectacular starts . Injuries have plagued them obviously. My questions is where are the new young bucks? Do we have another crop like them ready to come through- or is the cupboard pretty bare?

Very good question, but the positive is these guys should have a minimum of 5 years left at the elite level.

For Bangladesh (the next series):
Cummins, Pattinson, Hazelwood, Lyon

In Australia, usually Starc for whichever of Hazelwood and Pattinson is performing less well. Usually. Maybe in South Africa as well.

I wouldn't play two spinners anywhere. We don't have a second spinner that would be better than our quicks - even on a day five Mohail dustbowl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jhye Richardson is only 23. Could be something.

I don't understand how Starc is in competition with anyone to be honest. He is the quickest of our battery, he is a genuine swing bowler and being a left armer helps his cause for selection.
Yeah, I’m inclined to agree with this. Whilst Starc is in form, he will always be one of the first names on the team sheet because he is so different. The fact Lyon bowls noticeably better when he has Starc’s footmarks is also a big factor.

We are really talking about Cummins, Patterson and Hazlewood for 2 spots. From my perspective, Cummins is a cut above the other two. Patto v Haze is a really tough call, and either would be entitled to feel disappointed by missing out.

Yeah, I’m inclined to agree with this. Whilst Starc is in form, he will always be one of the first names on the team sheet because he is so different. The fact Lyon bowls noticeably better when he has Starc’s footmarks is also a big factor.

We are really talking about Cummins, Patterson and Hazlewood for 2 spots. From my perspective, Cummins is a cut above the other two. Patto v Haze is a really tough call, and either would be entitled to feel disappointed by missing out.

Cummins, Lyon pick themselves. 2 of Hazlewood/Starc/Patterson on form.

I want Richardson as part of that setup/rotation too. He's 4-5 years younger than the others, and the only younger bowler performing close to their level.

Thinking about it, there's an argument for having a "strong batsmen who keeps" at #6 IMO.

I don't think Carey's good enough (nor Head at #5, or our openers for that matter), but Cummins, Patterson and Starc all have good potential as a 7/8/9 batting setup behind a strong top-order.

As a start I thnk that you have to put variation as a priority. All 4 pace bowlers are offensive weapons in their own right. So that is whats making it difficult to leave one out. But in order to put batsman on edge there has to be variation - especially on unhelpful wickets. That is where Starc stands out. Starc @ 1.97 Hazelwood @1.96 Cummins @1.92 pattinson @1.86.
Starcs extra bounce and pace sets him apart from the others IMO. So its 3 goes into 2 for the others.

Hazelwood: Great control and consistency. The slowest of the 4. But is pace the only thing when you have the others.
Cummins: great control and accuracy as well as express pace. I think he has to fill one of the 2 spots
Pattinson: shorter than the others, and as strong as an ox. Balls skid through a bit flatter, but due to his strength, his short balls can catch the batsmen unawares.

Hazelwood v Pattinson - i give the edge to pattinson. Hazelwood role would be to tie the batsmen up one end with his accuracy- but that is something cummins is more than capable of doing. josh's extra height and bounce... Starc has him covered. There is something about JP that will have the batsmen guessing much more than JH

Cummins, Lyon pick themselves. 2 of Hazlewood/Starc/Patterson on form.

I want Richardson as part of that setup/rotation too. He's 4-5 years younger than the others, and the only younger bowler performing close to their level.

Thinking about it, there's an argument for having a "strong batsmen who keeps" at #6 IMO.

I don't think Carey's good enough (nor Head at #5, or our openers for that matter), but Cummins, Patterson and Starc all have good potential as a 7/8/9 batting setup behind a strong top-order.

Feels like de ja vu at the moment. Bit of a holding period for Australian fast bowlers.

We've got three set of fast bowlers (outside the big 4).

(1) The guys who have had a go, who will dominate shield/FC cricket but are not in the preffered set up for the future (see Jackson Bird, Chad Sayers, Trent Copeland).

(2) The guys who are in the frame but injured (Behrendorf, Jhye Richardson)

(3) The next generation who are doing well but not demanding selection (think Wes Agar, Riley Meredith, Steketee, Conway) thus keep turning back to #1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back