Votes: 59 25.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TheUnicorn

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Three teams touted as likely top 4 certainties before the season got underway, now find themselves struggling half way into the season.

Each team has their stars.

Each team has their strengths and weaknesses….

Which list would you prefer heading into the future and why?

Carlton are too top heavy not enough depth
Richmond have no good draft pics for this season as well and will drop off a cliff once their older core starts to retire
Geelong have a serious gap between top midfielders and lower mids

Geelong just?

I may be a little biased, but I like our young talent.

Gibcus and Sonsie already look like long term players, Judson Clarke will be good when he physically matures, Sam Banks looks a good prospect in the vfl and Samson Ryan is gonna be a damn good ruckman. We've also got some really good talent in the mid 20s age range.

I feel like we are lacking one or two elite young players though so I can't completely sell us on our future, but I have faith in the recruiting team.

I can't speak for Geelong but I already know Max Holmes and Ratugolea are going to be elite. A lot riding on Tanner Bruhn as well. Carlton are in a world of trouble as they have overpaid for overrated spuds.

My answer is not Carlton.

Gibcus and Sonsie already look like long term players, Judson Clarke will be good when he physically matures, Sam Banks looks a good prospect in the vfl and Samson Ryan is gonna be a damn good ruckman. We've also got some really good talent in the mid 20s age range.

I feel like we are lacking one or two elite young players though so I can't completely sell us on our future, but I have faith in the recruiting team.

I can't speak for Geelong but I already know Max Holmes and Ratugolea are going to be elite. A lot riding on Tanner Bruhn as well. Carlton are in a world of trouble as they have overpaid for overrated spuds.

Sonsie stinks. I’m pretty worried about our list

We put all of our draft chips into the 2021 draft. A year where a lot of talent were left out due to no games being played in VIC because of the pandemic. The crop we got from that haul have all been left in the dust. We wil bottom out hard come 2024.

Richmond have no good draft pics for this season as well and will drop off a cliff once their older core starts to retire

Geelong just?
We are already on the cliff and have been for 2 years.

I would like to be as optimistic as you.
but the cost of 3 premierships in 4 years totally worth it any club would take but it does come at a cost.
No decent draft picks coming, and I think we drafted poor players with our previous draft picks.
Which imo is why the draft is so risky players can look stars as junior but not come on, I reckon it's why we got Hopper & Taranto proven players.

I’m taking Richmond’s list.

Can get another 2-3 years out of one of the best KPFs in the game in Lynch.

A handy group of players in their prime to build around in Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Balta, Soldo, Baker, Rioli, Vlastuin, Short, Graham and Nank.

An exciting crop of youngsters in Ross, Ryan, Mansell, Clarke, Miller, Cumberland and Sonsie.

You then get the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Grimes and Prestia, along with Lynch, to make sure you’re competitive over the next 12-24 months as the youngsters are coming through.

The reason I’ve picked them is their crop of youngsters, sprinkled with the players in their prime can form a formidable group moving forward.

Cats are too old with very few quality kids and Carlton are cursed. Richmond is the obvious choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three lists that aren't really primed for the future.

I'm biased but I would rather be Geelong since we have a very good record of developing speculative picks into AFL players and a competitive culture.

Then Richmond - but Tiger supporters have three flags so they wouldn't care - mainly because I think their success is largely down to drafting and developing a unique player.

And Carlton have twenty years of baggage to climb though.

Three teams touted as likely top 4 certainties before the season got underway, now find themselves struggling half way into the season.

Each team has their stars.

Each team has their strengths and weaknesses….

Which list would you prefer heading into the future and why?
Who tf had both Carlton and Richmond in the Top 4 lol.

Geelong just?

We are only missing our round one pick, which we paid for Hopper and got him a year early.

Cats already found future players. Not sure they ever become stars but at least you can start building around the likes of De Koning, Holmes, Bruhn, Z.Guthrie, Henry's, Close, Stengle, Simpson.
With free agency, we are also bound to land a couple of big fish before Tasmania enter the league.
He's untried at AFL level but if Neale can come on as a key forward we'll be looking OK at either end with SDK and J. Henry behind the ball and he and O. Henry forward. It's a shame he's out injured at the minute but if young Clark who we got at pick 8 courtesy of the Bowes deal lives up to his potential we'll be laughing there - he's looked good at VFL level from what I've watched.

Richmond Young talent is very average and extremely thin in the two match winning positions - midfielders and key forwards. 3 flags can’t complain though.

Balta, Baker, Bolton, Graham, Taranto Hopper, Rioli x 2, Short, Sonsie, Gibcus, Clarke, Ralphsmith, Ross, Soldo, Cumberland, Mansell, Sampson Ryan, Tyler Young… with Brown and Banks highly rated.

All under 28.
Himmelberg has already succumbed to our no buns policy in preparation as a likely addition as a FA.

Richmond Young talent is very average and extremely thin in the two match winning positions - midfielders and key forwards. 3 flags can’t complain though.
Absolutely can't complain. There's been a lot of frustration among Richmond fans about our close losses and underperforming for the last two years, but we really should be grateful for what we have achieved.

I personally like our young talent, but you're right in that it's spread too thin, hence why I reckon we are missing a couple of elite youngsters (especially in KPF like you mentioned). Gibcus may go forward at some point but we will see.

Back