Which mature players from SANFL should we Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have been thinking about this one for a while and yesterday on ABC a player caught my eye that we should definitely give some thought to. Is a small relatively quick 22-23 YO, mosquito fleet type and plays alot like Stephen Milne.

He is Nick Liddle from South Adelaide.

I like the look of this guy a nippy type that is hard at it and is hard to catch,. Plays very well with average support around him. According to commentators is leading alot of the awards fror SANFL this year. Was bought into South from Coburg in VIC.

Ive been hoping for a couple of years we would pick up O'Hara and Scott Dutschke from the dogs. We need the hardness they would bring

Callinan & O'Hara are good options, even Dutschke I like the look of !

Liddle maybe a bit too small.

Ryann Bennett from West could be a very good gamble. Only trains once a week at westies and looks the goods.

His coach, Andy Collins believes he could be a real winner at an AFL club.

I like Simon Phillips at Norwood. Fast, small forward, very clean at ground level and has a thumping finish on him. A quality goal sneak is something the crows need. He is probably to small for AFL though and did I believe spend some time on Sydneys list?

To be honest, i hope we draft none. We are at the very beginning of our development phase and i don’t believe any mature aged recruit will offer anything valuable to our squad.
I don’t believe someone like James Podsiadly would help us either, hypothetically had we drafted Podsiadly it would have been version 2 of the Adam Richardson saga.

I’m not against drafting mature aged players because when we drafted Ben Hudson we were just coming of a semi final loss. The playing squad was in a very different place to where it is right now. If done at the right time in the development phase, it can be a very useful player however if done at the beginning that player will be a waste as they won’t be given enough tim e to develop unlike a raw teenager.

To be honest, i hope we draft none. We are at the very beginning of our development phase and i don’t believe any mature aged recruit will offer anything valuable to our squad.
I don’t believe someone like James Podsiadly would help us either, hypothetically had we drafted Podsiadly it would have been version 2 of the Adam Richardson saga.

I’m not against drafting mature aged players because when we drafted Ben Hudson we were just coming of a semi final loss. The playing squad was in a very different place to where it is right now. If done at the right time in the development phase, it can be a very useful player however if done at the beginning that player will be a waste as they won’t be given enough tim e to develop unlike a raw teenager.

I thought we drafted Hudson in 2004 - coming off an 8 win season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not against drafting mature aged players because when we drafted Ben Hudson we were just coming of a semi final loss. The playing squad was in a very different place to where it is right now. If done at the right time in the development phase, it can be a very useful player however if done at the beginning that player will be a waste as they won’t be given enough time to develop unlike a raw teenager.

Appreciate what you're saying, but when it comes down to pick 75 in the draft (or whatever late pick we have), it's either a mature player or a huge punt on a skinny kid.

Some of the players mentioned are only 22/23 years old and could make an instant impact. So I guess it sort of depends on the true definition of 'mature'. It's not like these guys would only have 2 or 3 years left in them.

Guys like O'Hara have good skills, physically is pretty well developed and is a genuinely good footballer. I've seen O'Hara play a few times this year and he looks class.

Callinan should be on an AFL list, the fact he isn't is offensive to the bloke. Is better than half AFL footballers if not more. 27 years old so would be getting on, not that he couldn't slot straight in. Excellent mature aged rookie for anyone who wants to have a gamble. Excellent skills, tough as old boots.

O'Hara as well, excellent classy half back. Tough as nails, deadly foot skills and composure, would be an excellent addition coming out of our defence.

There are plenty of others who would be worthwhile as well but these two are my favourites.

I would definately be looking at Brayden O'hara. I have mentioned him on this board a few time now about us recruting him next year. He has the best kick in the SANFL, gets plenty of the ball, tough as nails and makes the right decisions. We have far too many players who have poor skills like Petrenko,Cook and Schmidt. Ohara'sgame on the weekend was brilliant.

Its about time we start recruiting players who have good skills and players capable of hitting the forwards lace out on a lead. The only question over Ohara may be his speed but apart from that he ticks all the boxes you need to make an AFL footballer. Definately worth a rookie list player at the least.

O'Hara, O"Hara O'Hara, I been saying his name for 2 seasons now

Dutschke is another worth considering, he is the Dangerfield of the SANFL

I would definately be looking at Brayden O'hara. I have mentioned him on this board a few time now about us recruting him next year. He has the best kick in the SANFL, gets plenty of the ball, tough as nails and makes the right decisions. We have far too many players who have poor skills like Petrenko,Cook and Schmidt. Ohara'sgame on the weekend was brilliant.

Its about time we start recruiting players who have good skills and players capable of hitting the forwards lace out on a lead. The only question over Ohara may be his speed but apart from that he ticks all the boxes you need to make an AFL footballer. Definately worth a rookie list player at the least.

Amen, the amount of times where we bomb it long because our players don't have the skills or confidence to kick to a lead is frustrating. Recruiting requirement number 1. Skills 2. etc etc.

I also think that taking a mature age player is not the way to go, Podsiadly would be as useless in the Crows side this year as any other forward he is only good in the Geelong team because he has class feeding him, we need class in the guts and at the moment we don't or don't have enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back