A-League Which Melbourne team do you support and why?

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard somewhere he's from WA (yoshi).

Look the campaign doesnt piss me off in any way, i thought he'd be a sydney supporter. The factors he used as criteria were interesting. I read on facebook people mocking his "fans" as one of such criteria, in that city have no fans.

I think the campaign shows what we already know about kids. they will follow the marketed team or a winning one, or both. we see it with footy, other sports too.

He's from NSW, apparently he's the son of one of the FFA's board of directors.

Or it shows it's all just a publicity stunt! I don't even think Yoshi had a say in it at all only the script writers.

I'm still yet to hear from the A-League or the FFA why I'm supposed to give a **** about a 10-year old plastic. I would hope the kids that we want to support the game don't need a PR campaign, don't need trips around the country, and don't need to personally meet and engage with players in order to start following the A-League. They're the kids who will be rusted on - the way that they made this kid the focus of a PR campaign is the opposite of creating a rusted on fan.

I actually have some post grad qualifications in PR. I liked the idea behind the "You've gotta have a team" campaign, but they completely screwed up the implementation of it and the PR tactics behind it.

I don't really care either. I just love how angry his selection has made the supporters from other clubs.

Before, people didn't care about Heart/City. Now, we're starting to cop some hate, because we've suddenly become relevant. It's easy to point to Cahill as a reason for hate, although the simple fact is, even allowing for that goal, he's probably been about City's sixth or seventh best recruit this season (behind Fernando Brandan, Brattan, Kilkenny, Jakobsen and Kamau with a comparable impact to Manny Muscat on the field so far). Cahill has been fantastic in raising our profile, but he's just been solid on the park, so far.

It's simple, as far as I'm concerned and Yoshi symbolises it, with his choice. Up until twelve months ago (when Victory won the FFA Cup), people could quite reasonably ask "Why would anyone support Melbourne City?" We saw it at the start of this thread. Victory came first, their membership and attendances are about three times what City's are and they were clearly a better team. Would Yoshi have picked Heart, in a million years? No, because Heart was pretty consistently terrible, before CFG bought the club. Now, City is clearly the better team and it's not going to be such a rarity for a newcomer to the A-League in Melbourne to choose City over Victory as their team. It was always going to happen eventually: a gradual transition from Victory fans mocking us to hating us. The hate has started and of course we're hearing about how the league has been rigged this season to allow Melbourne City to win (why wouldn't it have been in year one?) and no doubt it will be about bandwagon supporters if the crowds do start to get significantly bigger throughout the season. What else is there to say?

All I take from the resentment is that we're relevant, a threat. For people like me, that can remember back to playing the Mariners on a Sunday afternoon in front of about 4,000 people, it's about time.

I don't really care either. I just love how angry his selection has made the supporters from other clubs.

Before, people didn't care about Heart/City. Now, we're starting to cop some hate, because we've suddenly become relevant. It's easy to point to Cahill as a reason for hate, although the simple fact is, even allowing for that goal, he's probably been about City's sixth or seventh best recruit this season (behind Fernando Brandan, Brattan, Kilkenny, Jakobsen and Kamau with a comparable impact to Manny Muscat on the field so far). Cahill has been fantastic in raising our profile, but he's just been solid on the park, so far.

It's simple, as far as I'm concerned and Yoshi symbolises it, with his choice. Up until twelve months ago (when Victory won the FFA Cup), people could quite reasonably ask "Why would anyone support Melbourne City?" We saw it at the start of this thread. Victory came first, their membership and attendances are about three times what City's are and they were clearly a better team. Would Yoshi have picked Heart, in a million years? No, because Heart was pretty consistently terrible, before CFG bought the club. Now, City is clearly the better team and it's not going to be such a rarity for a newcomer to the A-League in Melbourne to choose City over Victory as their team. It was always going to happen eventually: a gradual transition from Victory fans mocking us to hating us. The hate has started and of course we're hearing about how the league has been rigged this season to allow Melbourne City to win (why wouldn't it have been in year one?) and no doubt it will be about bandwagon supporters if the crowds do start to get significantly bigger throughout the season. What else is there to say?

All I take from the resentment is that we're relevant, a threat. For people like me, that can remember back to playing the Mariners on a Sunday afternoon in front of about 4,000 people, it's about time.

i think its inevitable that if city win trophies and more games, people will support them. especially the kids where the target audience should be.

I have a passing interest in the A league. I'm not a member and never have been and only watch games if I'm not doing anything else.
At 1st I followed Victory but lacked passion so when City came in I thought ok I'll jump on board and get more involved.... I haven't but I still follow city.

Aww, s**t...

Wait til the South Melbourne supporters see this! :eek:

I'm a south Melbourne fan and nothing annoys me more than when people have this idea that victory were a rebirth of our club, in fact it outright offends me. The 2 clubs have absolutely nothing in common apart from victory taking a lot of Souths personnel from the NSL days in back room staff positions and the occasional sponsor, which is smart because they are good football people.

It's like down here some people think Adelaide United are Adelaide city in disguise for the same reason, that too is ridiculous.

I'm a south Melbourne fan and nothing annoys me more than when people have this idea that victory were a rebirth of our club, in fact it outright offends me. The 2 clubs have absolutely nothing in common apart from victory taking a lot of Souths personnel from the NSL days in back room staff positions and the occasional sponsor, which is smart because they are good football people.

It's like down here some people think Adelaide United are Adelaide city in disguise for the same reason, that too is ridiculous.
And all the Greek fans. Majority of Adelaide United fans initially were of Italian heritage who came over from Adelaide City and the main reason they hate Victory is due to them being seen as a predominantly Greek supported club. Over time this will change as both clubs start to get more of a mix of fans.
Can tell you I know a stack of Greeks in Adelaide that hate United and are Victory supporters

Last edited:
And all the Greek fans. Majority of Adelaide United fans initially were of Italian heritage who came over from Adelaide City and the main reason they hate Victory is due to them being seen as a predominantly Greek supported club. Over time this will change as both clubs start to get more of a mix of fans.
Can tell you I know a stack of Greeks in Adelaide that hate United and are Victory supporters

You guys really have no clue then over in S.A

This is ridiculous, I went to Hindmarsh stadium in 2004 to watch Adelaide United v South in the elimination final and at no stage did I feel most united fans were of Italian heritage, in fact not even close.

Victory has a decent percentage of Greek/Italian fans because they are 2 of the larger ethnic groups in the city, nothing to do with south Melbourne. If Greeks in Adelaide are supporting victory because they think they are south in disguise all I can say is they are stupid people lol.

Most current south fans either lean towards city or just follow casually the league In general. Victory is hated. You need to seperate south and Greek fans, they are 2 seperate things, the Greeks that go for victory hate south Melbourne.

A barber once told me on a trip back to Adelaide that the United in Adelaide United was meant to be a uniting together of the West Adelaide and Adelaide City fans.

Oh wow some people hate City. Even when MV are having a poor year, everyone else still hates them. If you are using hatred as a measure of relevance, City has some way to go before it gets close to Victory. Having said that, I wish MV were not hated as much as they are.

Oh wow some people hate City. Even when MV are having a poor year, everyone else still hates them. If you are using hatred as a measure of relevance, City has some way to go before it gets close to Victory. Having said that, I wish MV were not hated as much as they are.

Except, it doesn't really have anything to do with Victory. It's a comparison to the early City years and (especially) the Heart years, when we were forgotten, laughed at, ignored. That's certainly not the case now.

If people could remove themselves from the constant comparisons to Victory and what they're doing, they'd see that City is doing OK in its own right and is definitely on the right track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except, it doesn't really have anything to do with Victory. It's a comparison to the early City years and (especially) the Heart years, when we were forgotten, laughed at, ignored. That's certainly not the case now.

If people could remove themselves from the constant comparisons to Victory and what they're doing, they'd see that City is doing OK in its own right and is definitely on the right track.

I have highlighted the bit which takes me back to my original comment. Off the pitch anyway, people are still laughing at City. You may have mega rich owners and good players, and may be a threat this year for trophies, though Roar showed you up, but people are still laughing at your crowds. Comments such as 'green seat elite' are still being poked at City. I'm not laughing personally, in fact I said a while back that I wish City had bigger crowds because Melbourne is missing out on the derby rivalry that Sydney has,because City can't bring in its share of the numbers. And again, it gets back to the original Heart owners. No vision whatsover. City: rich owners, poor fan numbers. Trust me as a Port fan I know from the pre AO days all about being knocked for poor fan numbers. It's one of the first things any club is criticised for.

I have highlighted the bit which takes me back to my original comment. Off the pitch anyway, people are still laughing at City. You may have mega rich owners and good players, and may be a threat this year for trophies, though Roar showed you up, but people are still laughing at your crowds. Comments such as 'green seat elite' are still being poked at City.

Never actually heard that reference, but it doesn't stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_A-League#Attendances

Mid-range attendances, within 250 of Adelaide's average and within about 1500 of Brisbane's average. Over 11% growth in attendance between 2014 and 2016. Where's the issue there for a relatively new club?

I'm not laughing personally, in fact I said a while back that I wish City had bigger crowds because Melbourne is missing out on the derby rivalry that Sydney has,because City can't bring in its share of the numbers.

I'm guessing you weren't at the Cup semi-final then, because trust me, despite being a Victory home game, it was about 50/50. A more cynical person might point to Victory's recent flogging at the hands of City as the reason behind their supporters deciding they had better things to do that night.

And again, it gets back to the original Heart owners. No vision whatsover. City: rich owners, poor fan numbers. Trust me as a Port fan I know from the pre AO days all about being knocked for poor fan numbers. It's one of the first things any club is criticised for.

Yes and what happened when Port became good? They started to sell out Adelaide Oval. Criticism of Melbourne City due to attendances is ridiculously short-sighted, quite ironic when you're bemoaning a lack of vision. They could pack the stands at some NPL shithole if they wanted, but what would be the point of that? They play at AAMI because it's the best place to play and watch soccer in Melbourne and if they put a good product on the field, the crowds will continue to improve.

I have a passing interest in the A league. I'm not a member and never have been and only watch games if I'm not doing anything else.
At 1st I followed Victory but lacked passion so when City came in I thought ok I'll jump on board and get more involved.... I haven't but I still follow city.
Almost exactly the same as this. I need to build back up credits with the Mrs over summer, so I can use them again in Footy season, making going to games problematic

victory. when they started up i was in high school and addicted to the premier league so the idea of a team i could go and watch most weeks appealed. never identified with any of the Victorian premier league teams and some of the racial undertones. i still would classify my self as a victory fan but my interest in the league has dropped

Interesting article online for the HS. Suggesting MV should go all out to get Gerrard with Berisha becoming Australian.

With Cahill being ex Everton and City's ties to Manchester City, believe this could push the Melbourne club rivalry big time. I know not everyone following the A League cares that much about EPL ties but either way, surely Gerrard lobbing in Melbourne would bring interest in the A League to a whole new level.

Interesting article online for the HS. Suggesting MV should go all out to get Gerrard with Berisha becoming Australian.

With Cahill being ex Everton and City's ties to Manchester City, believe this could push the Melbourne club rivalry big time. I know not everyone following the A League cares that much about EPL ties but either way, surely Gerrard lobbing in Melbourne would bring interest in the A League to a whole new level.

No.

The beauty of the Victory is how organic it has always been. We've never needed gimmicks - the closest we got to having one was Kewell, which didn't turn out particularly well.

Without having seen him play recently, I would imagine that on the pitch he's a downgrade from the likes of Diamanti and Essien - those are the types of players I'm sure we'll keep chasing.

* Gerrard.

No.

The beauty of the Victory is how organic it has always been. We've never needed gimmicks - the closest we got to having one was Kewell, which didn't turn out particularly well.

Without having seen him play recently, I would imagine that on the pitch he's a downgrade from the likes of Diamanti and Essien - those are the types of players I'm sure we'll keep chasing.

**** Gerrard.

Guessing you're not a Liverpool fan with that final line.

Any MV fan who was excited by the thought of Essien joining not long ago when it looked a possibility, would be taking a strange position if they felt Gerrard was a proposition on a different level. Essien is 34 in a month, Gerrard 36. Gerrard playing in MLS while Essien has been playing in Greece.

Biggest concern (trying to be somewhat balanced here) is Gerrard did comment that he found the travel distances to away games tough with LA. Not ideal with the size of Australia, though if he was Melbourne based, perhaps that would only be a concern for an away game in Perth.

I don't have an EPL team, so it's not an anti-Liverpool sentiment at all.

It's an anti-gimmick sentiment. I can understand the reasons for getting someone like Cahill here, but as time goes on the less I agree to it. It's a short term sugar hit to try and boost the next TV deal. That's all it is. Given how many attacking options City has, and given he's been playing a position that he hasn't really played since he was at Everton, I doubt he would even legitimately be in their best 11 at the moment.

The way to grow the league long term is by improving the standard of football, which I don't believe a 36yo does just because he used to play for Liverpool. I don't think it's fair to put Essien in the same boat as Gerrard, if only because I believe in the clubs scouting. There have been a hell of a lot more hits than misses with our international players over the last few years.

No.

**** Gerrard.

Gerrard is different fish to Kewell. Harry underestimated the league. He turned here what 2 weeks before the season started and expected to light it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back