Opinion Which number #1 has provided better value

Which pick 1 has provided better value to their club

• 2000 - Nick Reiwoldt (priority - St Kilda)

Votes: 81 61.4%
  • 2001 - Luke Hodge (priority - Hawthorn)

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • 2002 - Brendan Goddard (St Kilda, Essendon)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2003 - Adam Cooney (priority - Western Bulldogs, Essendon)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 2004 - Brett Delidio (priority - Richmond, GWS)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 1994 - Jeff White (Fremantle, Melbourne)

• 1996 - Micheal Gardiner (West Coast, St Kilda)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1997 - Travis Johnstone (Melbourne, Brisbane)

• 1999 - Josh Fraiser (Collingwood, Gold Coast)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2006 - Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 2005 - Marc Murphy (priority - Carlton)

• 2007 - Mathew Kreuzer (priority - Carlton)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

i had a debate a wile back that i thought Riewoldt was a better player for a player taken at pick 1 and Hodge second. Friend of mine thought it was the other way around. Not taking into account awards and premierships which pick 1 in the AFL era has provided better value to his team or teams? Who would you like to start a side around with the ability to see their futures

I think this is a two horse race but have included some other options on the polls. Going to exclude the troll favourites in clive waterhouse and Jack Watts

Last edited:

St Kilda without Riewoldt is far worse off than Hawthorn without Hodge. Roo has therefore been of better value to his club in my mind.

Nice way to word the question OP, so much more interesting than "who is the better player" which just creates a shitstorm

Hodge wasn't a priority pick Hawks traded Crowd and McPharlin to freo for the #1 pick

Also how can you judge value without premierships and rewards?

Most will take Reiwoldt most Hawks will take Hodge, neither team loses with who they got

Hodge wasn't a priority pick Hawks traded Crowd and McPharlin to freo for the #1 pick

Also how can you judge value without premierships and rewards?

Most will take Reiwoldt most Hawks will take Hodge, neither team loses with who they got
Yes and that #1 was a priority pick from Fremantle.

Yes and that #1 was a priority pick from Fremantle.
And they traded it, wasn't given to the club that used it. #1 draft pick is #1 draft pick priority is irrelevant when discussing value so why is it part of the poll?

You're correct.

Fraser in '99 and Johnstone in '97 were also priority picks, so the poll should be updated to reflect that.
My bad on Fraser, forgot to include it. Johnstone however was not a priority

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no Hawks fan, but I vote Hodge.
He didn't get taken along for a ride into 4 flags, he was a huge reason that they won the 4 flags. In my mind he is clearly out in front because of what he has achieved and what he brought to the club who selected him. Great player, great leader and stood up in Grand Finals - besides Goddard, you can't say that about the others.

So, without Riewoldt the Saints would have won less flags. I see your point :)

Where did I say that premierships came into it? Without Riewoldt, the Saints would have been a much worse team and a player's importance can be measured in more than just premierships won. Clearly you didn't understand the OPs question.

If you take Hodge out of Hawthorn they still have the likes of Mitchell, Burgoyne, Sewell, Lewis etc all leading the way over the last decade. Not to mention Buddy, Rogh and Cyril up forward. They might not win 4 flags (notably 2008) but they still win a couple.

If you take Riewoldt out of the Saints for the last 15 years we don't make either of the 09 or 2010 GF's and we wouldn't have been a kick away in 2004 either so I would say Riewoldt has provided more value to his team but you wouldn't be upset with either player.

A more interesting poll would be the same question WITHOUT Hodge and Riewoldt in contention.

Probably Deledio or Cooney? Goddard could have been captain of 2 clubs so would be rated highly. Jeff White one of the best mobile ruckman.

Much harder call IMO.

Excellent thread. I voted for Roo, but nothing in it really between him and Hodge. But that's not why it's excellent. It's excellent because someone voted for Deledio.

Back