Which of our players are the ones you really pay to watch?

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some of the comments in the favourite player list prompted this.

Some are faves because people like their work ethic, their personality or something in general about them.

But who would you, or you imagine other clubs' fans likely think they get value for money from?

Jordy would have to be #1 as he has more talent in his big toe nail than most of the rest of our list.

He is exciting and unpredictable. We have quite a few who are honest battlers and don't excite, though a few of these are not without a bit of talent as well.

Grundy the way he takes the game by the scruff of the neck and wins it for us would be thereabouts too.

Howe with his screamers has also to be a big drawcard for most.

I heard that lots of people have paid to watch Jack Crisp, but that could be rumour.

I saw a handful of Geelong games just for the sake of watching Ablett snr, know that others used to do the same for Daicos.

I heard that lots of people have paid to watch Jack Crisp, but that could be rumour.

I saw a handful of Geelong games just for the sake of watching Ablett snr, know that others used to do the same for Daicos.
Carey, McLeod and Peter Matera are the only two I've gone just to see them play. I consider Matera to be the most underestimated player to have played AFL.

Carey, McLeod and Peter Matera are the only two I've gone just to see them play. I consider Matera to be the most underestimated player to have played AFL.

Never trekked along just to see McLeod play, but he's in the top rank of my favourite non-Pies players who I've seen play the game. He was a superior machine.

I hope that Matera isn't underestimated, he was also sublime.

Never trekked along just to see McLeod play, but he's in the top rank of my favourite non-Pies players who I've seen play the game. He was a superior machine.

I hope that Matera isn't underestimated, he was also sublime.
Matera was sublime. He used to cut teams to ribbons. Nobody moved with the footy in his hands like him, but he's barely ever mentioned in discussions about stars from that era.

Watching Jack Crisp in that context was a bit like old school West Indies bowling though.

It gets boring when everything is short of a good length.

I admit that I missed it, and so maybe I need to accept your observations, but I'm just not sure I can trust a horse to offer Crispy a kind judgment in such matters.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

For me, wins the caroline wilson memorial good call award. As someone who has been at a lot of Coaster games during that era, Peter Matera was one of those players who was consistently uncontrollable. Opposition teams didnt have the arsenal to compete with him. I remember going to the WACA the year after we won the premiership and for some reason I remember this one sequence. The ball was being thrown in for the ruck about half back for the coasters and Matera was sitting off the back. The whole area was cleared for him and Darren Millane was standing in front of him just looking at him, trying to just limit his run. I'm not sure who Matthews had tried on Matera earlier and Darren didnt seem like a good fit, but I think the hope was that Matera would make a mistake and Darren would run through him. Anyway, we were flogged, Matera got 35 possessions and Darren did a fair job. I think the rumour at the time was that Malthouse got all the Beagles to lock down on their opponents and play the boundary - a la the normal game plan - but Matera was given an open ticket. I think they used that plan most weeks and Matera delivered pretty well.

Of course, he's appreciated over here but Adrian Barich made a tv career out of his efforts, so its understandable. However, I think he's underestimated because it looked so easy for him.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was on the 50 metre mark, ground level, where Matera unloaded goals in the '92 GF - beautiful player

My favourite opposition player to watch was Leigh Matthews

Stood behind the goals at Princes Park one day when Ronny Andrews (Bombers at the time) hit him with a haymaker

All umps missed it, or didn't care, and Matthews never complained

Matthews continued to play a blinder and 2 quarters later he repaid the compliment and decked Andrews

Superb midfielder and forward - won his own ball, great pass, could do anything except ruck

Throw in his coaching record and he is Mr Football

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I pay to watch our team. Having players who optimise that viewing experience is just a bonus.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I pay to watch our team. Having players who optimise that viewing experience is just a bonus.

Couldnt agree more. The things that please me the most are team things.... forward pressure....good connection between grundy and the midfielders and then to the forward line. If someone says that a de goey kicked 6 and the rest of the team was crap, it wouldnt motivate me to come back the next week. But if the team is doing all the one percenters etc, then it means something.

I'm always a bit puzzled about how cricketers seem to be more impressed at getting to 100 than actually winning. How many batsmen go out after they get to 100 because their focus is achieving that goal? I'm not impressed with that.

On an individual basis, I think Howe is easily the best high mark I've seen in my lifetime and I'm impressed how he has rounded out his game and become a great team man, just as much as any speccie that he might take.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daicos, Peter Daicos
Didak

Best non Collingwood player to watch by a country mile - Akermanis. Ultimate match winner.

Back