Opinion Which of these players will have the most impact in 2019 and why? (The Veterans edition)

Which of these players will have the most impact this season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The six players ...

Wells
Goldsack
Dunn
Varcoe
Reid
Greenwood

Each of these players
- Is in the twilight of their career
- Is 30 or older this season
- Will be out of contract at the end of this season

Who will have the most impact this season? And why?

Poll above

Also ...

Who will play the most games?
Who will earn a contract extension?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Varcoe and Greenwood impressed me yesterday, and to be honest even though I dislike seeing Greenwood down back I think he showed enough and played enough last year to not be relegated to a one-year deal. Two years would have been fine. I can see him playing on.

Varcoe is probably one medium-grade hammy away from calling time but if he stays fit he still brings something to the table.

I think Wells and Goldsack will retire (I think Wells is a certainty). Dunn I'm not so sure about.

As for Reid - well his performance yesterday has already been spoken about. Thing is, he's still relatively young (turns 30 next month) but due to the injuries he plays like a guy in his mid-30s. If he doesn't retire I could see him leaving via UFA to get a year at lower grade club.

I watched Greenwood against Melbourne and also last night and it will be tough getting into the best 22 but I am liking what I have seen so far.

He has been really attacking the ball and player and no longer a 'tag' man but playing back.

Varcoe based on last night is also a possibility.

Varcoe will likely play the most and be terrific.

When Dunn returns he’ll provide the most needed impact, excellence as a key back.

Wells when he plays will provide the silk. Can’t wait till he passes so well to Cox et al.

Varcoe will likely play the most and be terrific.

When Dunn returns he’ll provide the most needed impact, excellence as a key back.

Wells when he plays will provide the silk. Can’t wait till he passes so well to Cox et al.
Varcoe then Greenwood for me. Dunn will probably be useful IF he comes back healthy and soon. Goldsack and Reid will be surpassed by younger players and Wells will be lucky to play more than a handful of games.

I say Varcoe because of his Speed. Saw it in JLT1 with his Pressure with Speed and Create Chances with his Speed.

Good Chance it be Wells and Reid's last seasons

Varcoe by a mile. Manic pressure player and good for the big moments. Best 22 for me and certainly doesn't look done by any means, give him 2 yrs more.

Varcoe by a mile, the others are all fringe at best, whereas Varcs is a lock when fit.
Dunn should be eased in mid year and will provide perfect leadership and be a rock in defence come finals.
Bucks seems to love Greenwood so expect him to play more games than he should.
Wells and Goldy will chime in throughout the year but no great impact.

Varcoe by a long way atm. The only way I can see others having more of an impact is if Varcoe stuffs ups his hammies so bad he can run anymore.

Wells has the potential to have the most impact talent wise but his body isn’t reliable.

Greenwood is solid but nothing special and the type of player we need to replace to improve.

Dunn I’d have second to Varcoe if he recovers well. I think he’ll like the new kick in rule.

Reid if he can get back to his 2017 form could have an impact but it’s looking less likely as time goes on.

Varcoe for me too

Share the Greenwood sentiments from above, initially I thought this year he might be a horses for courses pick, but I am coming round to thinking he could hd a spot down more permanently

I think the knock on Varcoe is that there is very strong competition for his spot. Nobody would doubt a fit Elliott’s to slot into the team that made it to the 2018 GF. With Beams in the side that would enable DeGoey to spend more time forward. Both C.Brown and Daicos are going into their third year and may breakout. I know many folks don’t rate Crocker, but he’s on the list in his fourth year so he’s technically a possibility. Wills is now also being groomed for the forward player, albeit as a more mid/tall size. Varcoe may play round 1, but if he gets injured he’ll have a very difficult time breaking back into the side. In the unlikely event he doesn’t get a contract extension it’ll mean that Collingwood are in good shape.

Dunn is probably the opposite situation - if he’s fit then he probably plays with not much strong competition for his spot (yet). If he’s playing round 23 then he’ll get yet another year.

Wells is likely gone. He’s only played four games in 18 months and none of them decent. He’s coming back from a Lisfranc injury - a similar injury that forced Swanny into retirement. He’ll be a handy ‘break glass in case of emergency’ player in 2018 but apart from that he’s gone IMHO.

Goldsack I think has a good chance to make an impact with Dunn out. Goldsack is basically fighting for a spot with Roughead (and Madgen) so I think he has a strong chance to contribute this season and get anothe year extension.

Reid - I think it’s unfair to write him off after one JLT game. A player in his position will need to play at least 12 games to get an extension.

Greenwood - is the Eveready bunny and is versatile. He’s the one player who the coach can pull aside and give him a special mission for the week and trust him to carry it out. Probably got the best chance of making an impact and getting an extension.

Last edited:
As per others, Varcoe. Think the other 5 listed will be overtaken this year in what will likely be the swan songs for them.

Whether Varcoe goes on beyond this year might come down to his body, his form, and the development of A2B2 as his replacement in that really quick manic pressure small forward role.

Varcoe because he had a good game the other night & it's fresh in people's minds.

Could change after JLT2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will take a risk here and say Wells, here is my thinking on why he will have the most impact:
- The pies are right in the hunt for a premiership, with a chance to compete against the likes of Richmond, WCE, GWS, or others. With the addition of Beams it could be argued that he makes the team overall a stronger outfit. No doubt, an extra year of age for the older lads is an inevitable downside.
- Even with Beams, and the already strong list, we learned last year you need to get a lot right. So, that is where I see Wells having the potential to have a very high impact. If the original plan works out this year and he essential plays 10ish games plus finals then he will bring exactly what is needed to beat the best sides. His ability to bring the highest quality skill to the middle of the ground and create effective supply to forwards, and sneak forward himself, can be the difference between almost beating a top side and being unbeatable.
- So, even though there are many players on the list who can influence games I think Wells is the player who can make the biggest difference in the biggest games.

Back