Which player do you realistically want with your teams first selection in the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't need a key defender or a ruckman or an inside mid.

Need quick winger/outside mid with kicking skills, damaging small forwards and a quality key forward.

If you could arrange for brander to get through to 22 that would be great. I doubt that happens, more realistically o'brien or ling would be good and i would have miers in the mix (assuming higgins is gone). I would actually like us to roll the dice on tim kelly in the 20s but i doubt we will and i expect he will get picked up by a WA club.

Last edited:

Hard to say what will happen ahead of 7 and 8, with Freo now having two picks there and the possibility that they could go taller at 5 and Collingwood could at 6 as well, so with that being the case, I'd say my order of preference (if the "big 3" are gone, as expected) is:

Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Brayshaw

Would be excited if we took at swing at Bonar at either pick as well, as his upside seems enormous.

Hard to say what will happen ahead of 7 and 8, with Freo now having two picks there and the possibility that they could go taller at 5 and Collingwood could at 6 as well, so with that being the case, I'd say my order of preference (if the "big 3" are gone, as expected) is:

Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Brayshaw

Would be excited if we took at swing at Bonar at either pick as well, as his upside seems enormous.

I am not sure St Kilda will be in a position to take a risk on Bonar as you guys already have McCartin, who is under his own injury cloud that could be career ending.

I am not sure St Kilda will be in a position to take a risk on Bonar as you guys already have McCartin, who is under his own injury cloud that could be career ending.
Not to mention Freeman and Goddard, who between them played 0 AFL games this year after serious injury setbacks!

The thing is though, everyone pretty much says our list if "full of B and C-graders and not enough star, A-grade talent", so we could play it safe with these two picks and probably get another couple of the aforementioned, to add to our long list, or we could take a swing at someone who has the elite, star potential, but who comes at an injury risk.

We saw how hard it was this year to extract a Fyfe/Dusty/Kelly from their own clubs, so about the only other way to get someone like that is in the draft, and if you don't have a top 3 or 4 pick- in a draft that's nothing to write home about in particular- your only chance of getting someone who might fit that bill could be by taking a punt on someone like Bonar, who has the weapons, but comes with obvious risk attacthed.

If we only had the one pick I doubt we'd do it, but given that we have the two, I wouldn't have an issue with us taking a "safe" type like Brayshaw, with one, and then a Bonar/D-Fog with the other.

We did a similar thing when we had back-to-back picks in 2012 (Spencer White, who was "boom or bust") and again in 2013 (Blake Acres).

Last edited:
Or Rayner admitting he thinks Hitler had a lot of good ideas about the Jews.

When you write something like that do you actually think about the fact that there may be Jewish people reading these posts?
It might be a good idea to think of some other less sensitive analogy.

When you write something like that do you actually think about the fact that there may be Jewish people reading these posts?
It might be a good idea to think of some other less sensitive analogy.

I was using an example of a potential draftee saying something sufficiently horrible that it would put most clubs off. If I am looking for an analogy then it is going to be offensive, or disgusting, because that is the point. No one is going to lower a potential number 1 draftees stocks if the draftee in question believes in creationism (a dumb, but ultimately harmless belief).

I was using an example of a potential draftee saying something sufficiently horrible that it would put most clubs off. If I am looking for an analogy then it is going to be offensive, or disgusting, because that is the point. No one is going to lower a potential number 1 draftees stocks if the draftee in question believes in creationism (a dumb, but ultimately harmless belief).

I understand your point, but being Jewish, I take exception to something as horrific as the Holocaust being used to illustrate a point about footy.

Top four seems elite then evens out for next 7-10 picks as exceptional. Next 10 picks seem to drop from very good to good... then next 10 would be fair to development. So first 14 picks in this draft will get a player that is likely to get plenty of games. But picks 15-25 not so much of a guarantee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dream would be a Dow or Cerra somehow sliding but the more realistic best option is Coffield. Just need Collingwood to go tall and I reckon he'll be there. If not I'd like Murphy.
The Bulldogs were desperate to get a late first rounder. Must have a player in mind at 16 - my guess is Murphy.

The Bulldogs were desperate to get a late first rounder. Must have a player in mind at 16 - my guess is Murphy.
That's what I'm thinking too. Perfect draft for me would be Coffield and Murphy. By the time it gets to draft day I reckon we'd be lucky for him to get past some of the teams before 16 though. Almost downgraded 9 to 13 with West Coast which would have been perfect.

For Pick 4... list of preferences

1. Dow
2. Cerra
3 O'Brien (I would seriously take him before LDU, Rayner and Stephenson).

I'm tipping in 5 years time, O'Brien will be comfortably in the top 10 of this draft

We already have a midfield full of players with no tank and suspect kicking, so we don't need Rayner or Stephenson to add to the problem

We've heard rumours of being linked to both Oscar Allen and Nath Murphy so you could be on the money.
We've had chats with Naish too so pick 16 may be the bid.

Sam Hayes meets our biggest need and could be best available.

Could see this being Richmond's choice- albeit it isn't a critical necessity like last season before trading in Nankervis.

Could see this being Richmond's choice- albeit it isn't a critical necessity like last season before trading in Nankervis.
We need a ruck forward for a chop out for Nank, but also need a KPD as do not have much depth in that area. The query on Hayes is his tank, so may overlook for Balta possibly or Oscar Allen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back