Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

soo many.....

Allen Mckeller
Corey Young
David Honeybun
Trent Nicholls
Justin Plapp
Stuart Edwards
Jeffrey Hogg
Stephen Jurica
Ty Esler
Stefan Jackson
Andy Collins
Anthony Banik
Brad Gwilliam before wrapping his leg around the goal post
Mark coughlan
Jay Shultz
Nathan Brown
Richard Tambling
Dean Polo
Ben Lennon

Not a draftee, but in more recent times I was super excited for Yarran when we traded for him. Thought he was going to be the cream on top of our list with the stars coming into their prime, adding that much needed speed to the team…. Turns out he was adding plenty of speed, just not the type we were after.

Also * you carlton on that one. Was a dirty trade by them knowing the issues he had the dog campaigners

Not a draftee, but in more recent times I was super excited for Yarran when we traded for him. Thought he was going to be the cream on top of our list with the stars coming into their prime, adding that much needed speed to the team…. Turns out he was adding plenty of speed, just not the type we were after.

Also * you carlton on that one. Was a dirty trade by them knowing the issues he had the dog campaigners
Imagine we had a fit and firing Chris Yarran off a half back during the dynasty years. He would have dominated :'(

Imagine we had a fit and firing Chris Yarran off a half back during the dynasty years. He would have dominated :'(
Yeah did some very good things at Carlton - think his most memorable highlight was actually against the tigers from memory. Last I heard he went on a drug fueled rampage in WA in his car and haven’t heard about him since - guessing he is locked up

I'll never forget Yarran, Betts and (one other - can't remember) ripping us to bits, racing back to goals. They were unstoppable, threading through traffic, handballing, slapping it forward. They really did to us what our small forwards did to others for years.

He was such a wasted talent and so typically that Carlton screwed us over

soo many.....

Allen Mckeller
Corey Young
David Honeybun
Trent Nicholls
Justin Plapp
Stuart Edwards
Jeffrey Hogg
Stephen Jurica
Ty Esler
Stefan Jackson
Andy Collins
Anthony Banik
Brad Gwilliam before wrapping his leg around the goal post
Mark coughlan
Jay Shultz
Nathan Brown
Richard Tambling
Dean Polo
Ben Lennon
happy days !! Just the hope and anticipation and celebrating every victory like it was the moment we had turned the corner !!

Watched Tambling in a reserve game when he first arrived I wanted to see the hype
When I finished watching him I thought fmd
We've backed the wrong horse

Then in recent times Stack who burst on the scene in his first year, I was in awe that we just
Got a star for a slab, I was desperate for him to pull his finger out but unfortunately for him and us it didn't work out.

In the dark days when we were rubbish
Mark Dragicevic, was convinced the kid was going to be a star .

I remember reading a very detailed scouting report on Daniel Jackson. It would have been pages long! I would have only been 14 or 15 but just thought he would be an AFL great with his size and speed.

Think it was the ol weaver but can't remember. Jacko was still very serviceable for the draft pick we selected him at.

Personally I think it was Lids.

Looked made for the big time from day dot and had all the tools to be one of the premier midfielders in the comp.

People can be upset with this but despite having no weaknesses besides shaking a tag he never took the next step to be one of the best in the comp.
Should’ve been in the top 10-20 players in the comp.

I remember reading a very detailed scouting report on Daniel Jackson. It would have been pages long! I would have only been 14 or 15 but just thought he would be an AFL great with his size and speed.

Think it was the ol weaver but can't remember. Jacko was still very serviceable for the draft pick we selected him at.
Jackson had rave reviews from whoever was the first celebrity internet recruiter, might have been knightmare or that other guy whose name escapes me. Described him as "Voss like". And yes, it was pages long. Ol Streetsy (aka Weaver) used to crap on about draftees, and to his credit he went to a lot of the games (and even got a job with Freo and later Collingwood as a talent scout). Problem was for all his pontificating, he wasn't actually much good at spotting talent. For the lols have a look at his reaction when we drafted Riewoldt! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Foley for mine...Rookie listed and made his debut on that fateful Browny night in ‘05…But he always played with heart, and he was unstoppable on those runs…Cut down by injury, like Cogs…But he was a beauty…

I remember that game against Freo when they were undefeated in 2015 I reckon, when Corey Ellis and Connor Menadue looked like they would be absolute champions, legend has it Freo are still coming

it is Cotchin...still remember that feeling on draft night when we called his name out.
Trent was a born player and leader before he even understood it
he was the white knight coming down from the dark dark mountain ... yelling " follow me boys"

honourable mention - Mark Coughlan -what could of been without the devastating endless injuries

Problem with Tambling was he was playing Div 2 running rings while Lids, Buddy, Roughead and Co were playing Div 1 and staring also.

He never really played against the best in Div 1
always felt sorry for Richard tambling

Wallet destroyed his career plus he was home sick and injured and always a little bit light on.... wallace kept playing and flogging him. poor bloke just needed a bit more time and encouragement. some supporters turned on him like a pack of hyenas too which would not have helped. grrrrr. :mad:

reckon he would be a Charlie Cameron type player for us in our current environment

always felt sorry for Richard tambling

Wallet destroyed his career plus he was home sick and injured and always a little bit light on.... wallace kept playing and flogging him. poor bloke just needed a bit more time and encouragement. some supporters turned on him like a pack of hyenas too which would not have helped. grrrrr. :mad:

reckon he would be a Charlie Cameron type player for us in our current environment
Agreed mate, I was a young lad at the time and lost patience but never understood about player development.

I still remember when he kicked 4 in the first qtr against the Eagles once

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back