Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never seen a Richmond player with more natural ability, timing, poise, sure ball-handling than Sydney Stack. I seriously believe he could have been among the greatest ever AFL players ever. He was so clean, so quick - the game was in slow motion for him.
His 2019 first year highlights were as good as you’d see in a player <20 games , the drop off was astounding and sad

to be fair we didn't go for franklin cause we had Richo and a few other talls we were developing, however we didnt know franklin was going to be BUddy either. we needed a small.
Richardson was turning 30 in few short months and the array of developing talls we had back then didn't inspire much more confidence than the group we have now (apart from Ottens of course who was a ruckman). At the very least there was no obvious Richardson heir apparent any more than we have at the moment an obvious Lynch replacement. Anyhow, I was happy that we picked Tambling, because he was one of the touted big three along with Deledio and Griffen and I thought we were selecting the best player available with our pick 4. However, the argument at the time that we didn't need Franklin was/is contrived at best.

I have never seen a Richmond player with more natural ability, timing, poise, sure ball-handling than Sydney Stack. I seriously believe he could have been among the greatest ever AFL players ever. He was so clean, so quick - the game was in slow motion for him.
I rated him the biggest talent I've seen at the club since Richo blew my mind how good he was

There's been a few but on the debut games of Dean Polo (BOG dreamtime game) and Marty Mcgrath (5 goals), I thought we had found 2 future stars.

Richardson was turning 30 in few short months and the array of developing talls we had back then didn't inspire much more confidence than the group we have now (apart from Ottens of course who was a ruckman). At the very least there was no obvious Richardson heir apparent any more than we have at the moment an obvious Lynch replacement. Anyhow, I was happy that we picked Tambling, because he was one of the touted big three along with Deledio and Griffen and I thought we were selecting the best player available with our pick 4. However, the argument at the time that we didn't need Franklin was/is contrived at best.
we all thought tambling was going to be a gun. what a let down.

Similar to Sydney Stack

Not one I was MOST excited about but thought we had found a real wild card type with Troy Taylor :huh::(:(:(

I think the prevailing view was buddy was syd stackish off the field that’s why others where prioritized , the hawks backed themselves like we ultimately did with a few in recent years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was one of his biggest supporters on here, yet we gave games to some who didnt have anywhere near the upside of this bloke and played like crap.
Stacks last dozen senior games were shithouse , let’s not escape from that . He was a shadow of that 19 form which is a mystery

Stacks last dozen senior games were shithouse , let’s not escape from that . He was a shadow of that 19 form which is a mystery
i think there is no argument that his last couple of games were ave. before that he was killing it -when all your GF players were below ave and thats being nice. your perspective is out a little bit.

Four draftees I was wrapped each draft the club grabbed them we got them ...................and they certainly didn't let us down.

Jack Riewoldt

Trent Cotchin

Alex Rance

Dustin Martin

Four draftees I was wrapped each draft the club grabbed them we got them ...................and they certainly didn't let us down.

Jack Riewoldt

Trent Cotchin

Alex Rance

Dustin Martin
What about Zookeeper Lids?

Last edited:
i think there is no argument that his last couple of games were ave. before that he was killing it -when all your GF players were below ave and thats being nice. your perspective is out a little bit.
Was more than a couple , his first games in ‘20 were some of the worst I’ve seen from anyone in y&b and sadly they didn’t get much better

Was pretty convinced Nathan Brown was going to be huge for us and he was.
Of our own high draft picks, Lids was the one I had highest hopes for.

Anyone know what Stack is doing these days?
Should gamble a rookie spot again

Was lucky to come into the club when he did as we were in a spot where we could afford to gamble on a prodigious talent with application issues.
You don't gamble when you finish 13th and are on the slide - you need to nail picks and recruiting targets.
If we were in this position in 2019, Stack would not have made it out of the WAFL sadly.

I was excited when Terry Wallace joined us as a player from Hawthorn in 1986. Couldn't replicate his Hawthorn form in his one year with us and then was very good at the Bullies.

Thought Phillip Walsh was worth getting excited about when we got him after his stellar 1983 year at Collingwood. Couldn't find that form and like above he became a pretty good player for Brisbane.

I got excited over Michael Gale and Broderick because they were bloody good players with Fitzroy and they were great pickups.

I was excited when Terry Wallace joined us as a player from Hawthorn in 1986. Couldn't replicate his Hawthorn form in his one year with us and then was very good at the Bullies.

Thought Phillip Walsh was worth getting excited about when we got him after his stellar 1983 year at Collingwood. Couldn't find that form and like above he became a pretty good player for Brisbane.

I got excited over Michael Gale and Broderick because they were bloody good players with Fitzroy and they were great pickups.

But what a first game for Wallace against Essendon.

For me Mark Coughlan - Poor **** could have been anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back