Opinion Which player has the greatest trade value?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy was average in the GF, that will bring his trade value down a bit.

Its one game, he's played well in big games before.
Sample size isnt there yet.

I dunno about Grundy's trade value.

He's the player in the comp I'd most covet in our colours.

Rucks tend to get injured a lot from the constant collisions, and I think maybe the younger you start the bigger the risk later.

I hope he can outlast Sandilands and play as long as he wants, but I think there'd be just a little concern how his body, particularly his knees, will hold up.

I'd still pay two first rounders easily, but maybe not as much for as for an Oliver or a Cripps. Of course their not without injury risk either.

He is tough, hard and durable. He wins the ball most often in the air against his opponent and a lot on the ground. He uses the ball well, is smart and knows his limitations. I think his durability compared with other rucks is understated.

Its one game, he's played well in big games before.
Sample size isnt there yet.

He is tough, hard and durable. He wins the ball most often in the air against his opponent and a lot on the ground. He uses the ball well, is smart and knows his limitations. I think his durability compared with other rucks is understated.
All of that is true. He's also 24.

Gotta love a 15 year-old bump. Pavlich vs Riewoldt was a good argument to have back then. The people who nominated Joel Smith and Paul Haselby didn't hold up quite so well.

If you are looking at trade value, you have to also look at the worth that players have to their teams.

Kelly might be the best combination of talent and age in the league - about to turn 23 and arguably the best player. However, GWS still have a reasonably well stacked midfield and a bit of scope to deal with player departures.

For that reason, I think Cripps would have the highest trade value in the league. He has a contract through to 2021 at Carlton, is our captain, and I think if he were traded now (hypothetically) absolute hell would break loose. It would almost certainly mean a spill of the board, probably lead to the sacking of the entire recruiting team and probably the coach. Had Gold Coast offered picks 2, 3 and 6 in this year's draft (and Cripps asked to go) I think Carlton would have declined. The tipping point for Cripps might be something like 5x top 10 picks (for Carlton, right now...). I can't really think of a comparison in terms of talent (high), age (still 23) and club circumstance (rock bottom) in recent years.

My hypothetical 'the player wants to go to Gold Coast but is contracted...' trade values would be:

Tier X (basically not available - would cause the club to explode at just about any price) --> Cripps
Tier 1 (picks 2, 3 and 6 probably needed, if the player asked to go) --> Bontempelli (Bulldogs would be in the same position as Carlton on this trade if not for the premiership), Tom Mitchell (Hawks are in the business of winning, not draft picks, and just wouldn't trade him unless it was ridiculous),
Tier 2 (picks 2 and 3 probably required) --> Oliver, Kelly, Max Gawn, Charlie Curnow (for similar reasons to Cripps), Rance/Martin (Richmond aren't giving up a shot at a flag that easily), Joe Daniher,
Tier 3 (2x top 10 picks required) --> Coniglio, Yeo, Grundy, Sidebottom, McGovern, Cotchin, Ward,
Tier 4 (2x first-rounders or a top 10 + a good second-round) --> Franklin (still), Fyfe, Laird, Brayshaw, Macrae, Wines, O'Meara, Kelly, De Goey, Merrett, Docherty, Harris Andrews, Cameron, Greene, Whitfield, Hogan, Gaff, Darling, Shuey, Tom Lynch, Treloar,
Tier 5 (1x top 10 pick) --> Heeney, Ben Brown, Hipwood, Viney, Dangerfield, Tim Kelly, Wingard, Neale, Steven May, Cunnington, Parker,

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of players there, that's not meant to be an exhaustive list. It's also not meant to be a talent list - it's an estimation of trade value only. I've also deliberately excluded guys from the last couple of drafts - its just really hard to appraise players like Raynor, Stephenson, etc, who would deserve to be there somewhere.

It also felt slightly harsh on St Kilda - but I honestly don't think any player gets a top 10 pick. Maybe Seb Ross? They would have a heap in the 'late first round category' though. Same with North - very deep and even team.

Gotta love a 15 year-old bump. Pavlich vs Riewoldt was a good argument to have back then. The people who nominated Joel Smith and Paul Haselby didn't hold up quite so well.

If you are looking at trade value, you have to also look at the worth that players have to their teams.

Kelly might be the best combination of talent and age in the league - about to turn 23 and arguably the best player. However, GWS still have a reasonably well stacked midfield and a bit of scope to deal with player departures.

For that reason, I think Cripps would have the highest trade value in the league. He has a contract through to 2021 at Carlton, is our captain, and I think if he were traded now (hypothetically) absolute hell would break loose. It would almost certainly mean a spill of the board, probably lead to the sacking of the entire recruiting team and probably the coach. Had Gold Coast offered picks 2, 3 and 6 in this year's draft (and Cripps asked to go) I think Carlton would have declined. The tipping point for Cripps might be something like 5x top 10 picks (for Carlton, right now...). I can't really think of a comparison in terms of talent (high), age (still 23) and club circumstance (rock bottom) in recent years.

My hypothetical 'the player wants to go to Gold Coast but is contracted...' trade values would be:

Tier X (basically not available - would cause the club to explode at just about any price) --> Cripps
Tier 1 (picks 2, 3 and 6 probably needed, if the player asked to go) --> Bontempelli (Bulldogs would be in the same position as Carlton on this trade if not for the premiership), Tom Mitchell (Hawks are in the business of winning, not draft picks, and just wouldn't trade him unless it was ridiculous),
Tier 2 (picks 2 and 3 probably required) --> Oliver, Kelly, Max Gawn, Charlie Curnow (for similar reasons to Cripps), Rance/Martin (Richmond aren't giving up a shot at a flag that easily), Joe Daniher,
Tier 3 (2x top 10 picks required) --> Coniglio, Yeo, Grundy, Sidebottom, McGovern, Cotchin, Ward,
Tier 4 (2x first-rounders or a top 10 + a good second-round) --> Franklin (still), Fyfe, Laird, Brayshaw, Macrae, Wines, O'Meara, Kelly, De Goey, Merrett, Docherty, Harris Andrews, Cameron, Greene, Whitfield, Hogan, Gaff, Darling, Shuey, Tom Lynch, Treloar,
Tier 5 (1x top 10 pick) --> Heeney, Ben Brown, Hipwood, Viney, Dangerfield, Tim Kelly, Wingard, Neale, Steven May, Cunnington, Parker,

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of players there, that's not meant to be an exhaustive list. It's also not meant to be a talent list - it's an estimation of trade value only. I've also deliberately excluded guys from the last couple of drafts - its just really hard to appraise players like Raynor, Stephenson, etc, who would deserve to be there somewhere.

It also felt slightly harsh on St Kilda - but I honestly don't think any player gets a top 10 pick. Maybe Seb Ross? They would have a heap in the 'late first round category' though. Same with North - very deep and even team.
yeah, nah... Blues would have went off like a 13 year old catching his first look at a Ralph mag. Cripps would have been personally driven to the Gold Coast by Silvagni if Suns offered pick 2,3 and 6.

1-5 cripps, grundy, Kelly, McDonald, Martin
6-10 , Fyfe, Gawn, Mcgovern, Mitchell, Brown
11-15 De Goey, Macrae, Whitfield, Dangerfield, Oliver

Yo
1-5 cripps, grundy, Kelly, McDonald, Martin
6-10 , Fyfe, Gawn, Mcgovern, Mitchell, Brown
11-15 De Goey, Macrae, Whitfield, Dangerfield, Oliver
You forgot the Bont who I think would be in the top few, only turned 23 this week.Interesting that no-one is mentioning Jeremy Cameron (25) who may have jumped the shark.Also Oliver would be in top few .There's no up and coming tall forwards that would be in top 10, although McDonald is ok.

Yo

You forgot the Bont who I think would be in the top few, only turned 23 this week.Interesting that no-one is mentioning Jeremy Cameron (25) who may have jumped the shark.Also Oliver would be in top few .There's no up and coming tall forwards that would be in top 10, although McDonald is ok.
Hi, I rate the above 15 all higher than bontempelli.

The Bont's got the runs on the board and about to enter his prime, he's more value than Macrae for a start.He could also play forward and be better than De Goey.

Don’t think goal of the year has any relevance lol if anything De Goey does what was shown twice every week.

Reckon bont’s Forward ability isn’t remotely close to De Goey. Just isn’t as fast off the contest and seemed slow of anything. Both played some midfield time but predominantly forward and the different is clear even with bont being older.

Macrae is top 3 by position (winger/general mid) along with Kelly/Sidebottom and unless bont achieves Oliver/cripps standard not really in contention tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm clearly missing some hidden sarcasm or something?
Not at all. I do feel like your trying to argue that I'm saying something that I'm not.

Rucks are generally at a bigger risk of their body breaking down than other players. They face constant collisions and it's the most physically demanding position in the field. When you project out 5 years for a 24 yo ruck you have to take that into account. That's all.

Not at all. I do feel like your trying to argue that I'm saying something that I'm not.

Rucks are generally at a bigger risk of their body breaking down than other players. They face constant collisions and it's the most physically demanding position in the field. When you project out 5 years for a 24 yo ruck you have to take that into account. That's all.

Nah not trying to do that. I just thought his age was a positive factor in trade value - which on face value it is.
I know rucks are more injury prone, but Grundy hasn't had many injuries (and has a history in martial arts which would have strengthened a lot of his body over many years). Given other rucks and their inability to stay on the park I see his stability as a positive point.

We will probably find out in 12 months time...

Josh Kelly and Marcus Bontempelli.

Brodie Grundy and Ben Brown next level down.
Ben Brown? 27 next year. Approaching the twilight of his career and has achieved literally nothing. Not once made the All Australian side. Never won a Coleman. An average to good key forward. Probably worth a late first round pick at best.

Ben Brown? 27 next year. Approaching the twilight of his career and has achieved literally nothing. Not once made the All Australian side. Never won a Coleman. An average to good key forward. Probably worth a late first round pick at best.

Yeah, I had thought he was younger.

Bit premature on calling 27 the twilight of his career - it's where most players peak, especially the bigger guys.

Not in the conversation for greatest trade value though.

I would say Lance Franklin by a fair margin. Worth his weight in gold from a marketing perspective. Swans were on $35k members 5 years ago and now over $60k despite no premierships.

Still Seven clubs below $50k members that would give anything for a player of that marketing ability.

Still 4 years on his contract and his form is good.

He’s priceless really, which is why pick #19 five years ago was so ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back