Opinion - Which player has the greatest trade value? | Page 5 | BigFooty

Opinion Which player has the greatest trade value?

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by midaro, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Dom PC

Dom PC Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Mid: Josh Kelly
    Fwd: Charlie Curnow
    Def: Harris Andrews
    Ruck: Brodie Grundy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Monkey King

Monkey King Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    I think you’ve nailed it.

Isaac Cumming No 1 likes this.
  3. master bate

master bate Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    I'm not a huge Macrae fan. Hard working, tough, super accumulator but doesn't dominate the clearances like Cripps or offer the dynamic play of Oliver. Plus he's a bit older. Kicking is ordinary and his handballs - some of which are throws - aren't all that impressive. He's the type of player who can be shut down with a hard tag and that's not a player you'd sell the farm for.

Heeney is a huge bet on upside, as with De Goey and Curnow but not to the same level of confidence.

I'd love to see him play in an attacking side where he can play forward and go in to the midfield and take the game on. Used too much on the wing, half back and defensively in the midfield for mine. Luke Parker seems to take the role that Heeney would ideally play.

4. Marcel Proust

Marcel Proust Senior List

Richmond
    I still think Josh Kellys contract expiring next season lessens the value as opposed to players on long deals. Perhaps other sports have warped my perception; obviously a very high quality footballer

5. master bate

Melbourne
    Unless you get a player on a long term deal at a cheap price the understanding in any hypothetical trade would be that you pay them and pay them plenty! Cripps and Bont might have just signed new deals but they wouldn't be cheap. You might sign Kelly for 1.5 for 5 years but how much of a discount on that is Cripps and Bont taking these days? I don't think there's the kind of accidental superstar making discount money on a long term deal in the AFL. The elite players are locking in 2-3 year deals until they reach free agency or are traded then signing for a big deal.

In terms of US sports there's the young QB on their rookie contracts who are massively underpaid and there's the occasional basketballer who signs a long term deal before hitting stardom - the best example of late being Steph Curry. I'm not sure that applies here.

6. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Must say I disagree completely with all of this. Macrae looked like Pendlebury reincarnate at times this year and has become an excellent user by hand and foot. I don't see why he, one of the top inside ball winners in the comp would struggle with a tag.

Oliver's a freak but his dynamic play is still more theory than reality. At the moment he's an efficient inside ball winner who uses the ball extremely well by hand who has the physical power and kicking ability to make power plays.

Yeah he might be a year older but I doubt that means much in the grand scheme things.

Northernsoul74 and Virgin Dog like this.
  7. Ambrosia

Essendon
    I don't think you're applying the OP correctly by looking into contracts. Making it more complicated than intended .

Just all things being equal who is the most valuable player on the trade table in the comp

8. Northernsoul74

Northernsoul74 Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    I don’t remember Macrae being tagged out of a game.

Bulldog1954 likes this.
  9. Ambrosia

Essendon
    Yeah it seems a weird opinion to have of a bloke who is top 15 clearance player in the league and has show the ability to fill the stat sheet with contested possesions. His game in the wet against Adelaide was unreal with how clean he was.

Bulldog1954 and Northernsoul74 like this.
  10. Moist Biscuit

Moist Biscuit Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    I don't care how good Cripps is, nobody is worth that much in a trade.

11. Infamy

Infamy Premium Gold

Richmond
    He's 100% correct by taking contracts into account
    It takes a lot more to pry a player out of a club who has a long term contract compared to a player who doesn't have long left
    Just like all the big transfer fees in soccer get paid due to longer term contracts in place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Bulldog1954

Bulldog1954 Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Middlesbrough
    Any examples of when he has been shut down by a hard tag?

Virgin Dog likes this.
  13. Isaac Cumming No 1

Isaac Cumming No 1 Premium Platinum

GWS
    Fair call

I cant imagine any club putting in the effort to apply a hard tag. If you were that way inclined I'd pressure Bontempelli first. Plssibly Daniels because he has vision and sets up the play a lot when in form. Then probably Johanissen because he can be damaging outside in space but cant handle attention.

14. Virgin Dog

Virgin Dog Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    Before his injury, Macrae was one of the favourites for the Brownlow, and was easily best on ground for the dogs in most games. If clubs could tag him, he'd have been tagged. Big bodied mids like him and Bont are very difficult to tag, which is why clubs will elect to go for the next best option - JJ

15. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    I still dont think he's effective enough to even try.

16. Virgin Dog

Virgin Dog Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    I really don't get why you'd think that. Is this like the "Mitchell has no impact" meme?

17. Marc_Remillard

Marc_Remillard Angel of the Abyss

Melbourne
    Yes, Gawn is god-like

Suma Magic likes this.
  18. Ambrosia

Essendon
    There's also a limit to how much impact a ruckman can have on a game. Grundy was excellent in the grand final and won the HO comfortably but WCE had no trouble countering his influence.

Suma Magic likes this.
  19. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    I wouldn't say they had no trouble. Lycett and Cardy worked him over no doubt. I'd say they invested a lot and worked very hard to achieve it though.

20. danster168

danster168 Senior List

Melbourne
    Def: Jake Lever
    Mid: Cripps
    Fwd: DeGoey
    Rucks: Grundy

I think people are forgetting how much of a gun Lever is. I would've loved to be biased and put Oliver in the mids but I think Cripps by a whisker. DeGoey is the best of the lot though as he is a match winner and has the best skills in the afl around goals.

21. jackenny

jackenny Club Legend

Gold Coast
    His tendency to throw the ball is pretty bad, honestly. In comparison, Oliver is one of the best users of the ball by hand I have seen, I would say the best user currently playing (he's been at this elite level since his second year of 2017, and was stiff to miss out on All-Australian selection). Basically, Oliver is the best-performed young player since Chris Judd hit the scene, while in comparison Macrae's only claim to fame is a purple patch for the first half of the 2018 season - before that, Macrae got the ball heaps and butchered it horribly. As for Patrick Cripps, the guy would've won the brownlow this year if he played for a better team (seriously, 20 votes in a team that's won 2 games for the whole year, that's telling). He was a monster in 2018.

Mind you, Macrae is still elite. But a 24 year old finding elite form isn't that noteworthy. For instance, I would have Bontempelli ahead of Macrae, because he is 1) marginally younger and 2) has a greater body of work in my opinion. And this is ultimately asking which player has the greatest trade value, and in that sense, it's not Macrae, he's nowhere near it.

master bate likes this.
  22. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    Much as I dont want to promote trade talk, Lever over Haynes is silly. Haynes is a better intercept mark when he can play loose. He can take a man when required, as well as providing the outnumber with a fist when necessary.
    He very good at ground level rounding up loose balls in a dangerous position.
    Lever is good but not at that level. Neither are close to Jeremy McGoverns value anyway.

Northernsoul74 likes this.
  23. Virgin Dog

Virgin Dog Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    He averages less than a single free kick against per game, which tells me he really doesn't "throw" as often as you imply.

Also I'm thinking you may have missed the context of the discussion. My comment was replying to a comment that teams basically don't bother tagging Macrae as he doesn't have enough impact, while I had been arguing that he does, in fact, have a lot of impact, it's just that bigger bodied midfielders are harder to tag out of a game, so him and Bont generally don't cop a tag (usually get a run-with player instead), and instead someone like JJ might be a target since he's easier to tag out.

I'm not arguing that Macrae has the highest trade value. Bontempelli is easily worth more. Bringing up Oliver and Cripps (who, funnily enough, are also difficult to tag out of a game since they are bigger bodied mids) is not really relevant to what I was saying

24. master bate

Melbourne
    23 touches and dominating the clearances to half time against Melbourne at the G this year, 10 touches and little impact when Harmes went to him after half time.

25. jackenny

jackenny Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Not really, I'm just bringing it back to what the discussion is really about.

And yeah, he throws. He isn't the only offender to be fair, though. Mitchell is guilty of it, too. The umpires were universally slack calling for it this year (so I really don't take much stock in your cited statistic, considering I've seen him throw with my own eyes - despite it not being called, other times it definitely has).