Which player(s) from your club are you ashamed of

Remove this Banner Ad

John Nicholls is a dick. Should never have been voted our #1 player ever.
Wow!
Coming from a Blue, that’s a hell of a statement.
It was Nicholl’s on field play and generalship that got Carlton flags in 70 & 72. Both were quite bizzare, flukey, crazy wins.
But they were wins!
Never heard a Carlton fan talk about him like this before....

Liberatore was a dirty and ugly player, you dont want guys like him representing your club, and has never been held to account. completely brushed over his squirrels. Whitten was a cystic old bastard as well. even if he wasnt so hateful, he was a footballer but he's talked about like he invented spray-on skin for burn victims.
Whitten was not a nice family man and should not just be remembered as a good footballer who treated his mates/players better.

• Didn’t live up to expectations after a 3 Brownlow vote game in his first season, plus being overhyped as ‘best 16 year old Michael Voss has ever seen’;
  • Played when WC needed some of their many early draft picks to become A graders;
  • Lost confidence in his kicking and started shanking them (mind you so did the rest of the midfield back then - Ebert, Selwood x2, Waters, Priddis, Masten, Rosa, Houlihan);
  • Odd appearance and gait;
  • Most footy supporters are dumb campaigners...
    = Easy whipping boy

West Coast had a drop kick skills coach ... had all the young blokes kicking tennis balls to change their kicking styles. Suddenly good young footballers were second guessing themselves.

Last edited:
I agree (particularly re Ablett), having said that, I haven’t seen many Carlton fans (including your posts) listing the man their best and fairest is named after, “Gentleman” John Nicholls. Convicted of embezzlement and larceny in the 60’s and then 7 counts of fraud in the 80’s.

Ah Big Nick, I remembering opening a bank account for him in the 90's, first thing he asked was when could he get a cheque book? I told him him we'd have to see good conduct on the account over a period of a few months.

My manager came speeding after he left saying "you didn't give a cheque book did you?", told the boss I knew exactly who he was and that he'd have to wait 3-6 months :D

Terrible player or terrible bloke or both?

How Justin Murphy ever darkened our doors got me. There's Ablett but that's post career. Eagles fans must still feel rankled that someone like a Tom Swift ever pulled on their colours.

This will probably turn in to a s**t fest of accusations and rumours but here's hoping.

No not really, at least he called it quits.
Ben Cousins for me , Brilliant footballer, Brownlow Medalist, Club Captain, Pin up boy of the AFL......... burned his career and tarnished the club with a glass bbq.

Why Jacko? He was funny af. Need more characters like him, not that it will ever happen.

Not sure ashamed is the right word but Jacko was an absolute arse clown. Made every game a circus and constantly did things that went against the team goals. He was very talented but so selfish he makes Gary Ablett Senior look like the ultimate team player. There is a reason why he played for four clubs and was booted out of all of them.

What exactly did Swift do to attract ire?

I've never understood why supporters disliked Tom Swift so much, and it wasn't only at AFL level it was in the WAFL too.

Swift played for the Claremont Tigers in the 2011 and 2012 Grand Finals, with the Tigers defeating the Subiaco Lions and the East Fremantle Sharks respectively. At the post match presentations where Claremont players were presented with their premiership medallions, when Swift's name was called out he was booed and jeered not only by Lions and Sharks supporters and neutral spectators, but some Tiger fans too.

As a Richmond fan has to be Jarred Oakley Nickols, he was a top 10 pick & was absolutely useless, had a score in supercoach of -8 one week.
Clinton King/Kent Kingsley weren't the best pick ups either.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People forget when it comes to their team that good player doesn't always mean good bloke
One thing I remember growing up at 13/14 is how the Eagles were considered cool despite the obvious drug abuse/s**t blokes because they were winning and we're seen as the lady type

Not sure ashamed is the right word but Jacko was an absolute arse clown. Made every game a circus and constantly did things that went against the team goals. He was very talented but so selfish he makes Gary Ablett Senior look like the ultimate team player. There is a reason why he played for four clubs and was booted out of all of them.
I was lead to beleive the Wacko Jacko put lit ciggies in some important StKilda club officials pockets at a club function. One of them was Lindsay Fox .

All top blokes, but Jack Frost, Henry Schade and Ben Crocker are the worst footballers I've seen this decade and they all played for Collingwood.

As a Richmond fan has to be Jarred Oakley Nickols, he was a top 10 pick & was absolutely useless, had a score in supercoach of -8 one week.
Clinton King/Kent Kingsley weren't the best pick ups either.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This thread is mostly about players who have committed crimes or otherwise been awful people,and you are putting a guy in this thread who simply did not live up to his draft pick?

McCartin must be worse than Jack the Ripper then.

Adam Heuskes, Shannon Grant, could even add Barry Hall to that list alas.

I'd add O'Loughlin but from what I can tell there's some degree of doubt as to whether he was protecting Ricky or whether he actually was part of that rape scandal. Still given Ricky played for Sydney too at least one of them is scum so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back