Analysis Which players 25 & under will be Elite?

Which players 25 & under Saints will be Elite? (max 10 votes)

• Coffield

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Zones

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Gresham

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steele

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Clark

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • King

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • Lonie

• Billings

Votes: 59 68.6%
  • Butler

• Marshall

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • Long

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Bytel

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Battle

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Phillips

• Byrnes

• Patton

• Parker

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Sinclair

• McKenzie

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Wilke

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Clavarino

• Joyce

• Langlands

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course Know-it-alls know it all ...so these ballots should only be by invitation to say three or four individuals then the rest in the main sycophantically argy bargy over and flirt around those few know it alls opinions. Go out on a limb ..theres no right answer ..what does it matter..what does it cost?

One newish addition to the team's 25 and under list ...Hind .. not even on the above list unless i'm mistaken.... 25 yrs old. "Armed with a lethal sidestep and explosive pace, mature-age recruit Nicholas Hind delighted Saints fans in the back half of Season 2019. The Clunes native made his debut in Townsville after being flown over to China as a last-minute emergency, lining up in every game following the bye."
I think he has shown the capacity to head towards an elite profile if he improves as much again...yeah real long shot..but long shots are always way more interesting.

Someone was scoffing at Parker having the potential ...but again if the same leap can be made again ..i do believe he could shock many. "The West Australian burst onto the scene in the opening round of 2019, earning the admiration of the red, white and black through his forward pressure, aggression at the contest and exhilarating passages of play."

Then a complete long shot left field .....has to make the team first but I have this sense of destiny with this young fella...just something about him that evokes a faith in his rise and the strength he'll exude....more hoping perhaps, but we will see i guess. As was quoted on my Advocacy page for him "Mitch Cleary ran his eye over the players expected to take their game to the next level in 2020. from AFL.COM he states, "MAYO is a left-field option in his first full season after being taken in last year's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft." This is a massive stretch from elite but If he can prove much this year I believe he might go on and surprise many sooner rather than later.

Of course these polls and such are questions raised for entertainment value only and as such i imagine they're not to be taken too seriously ..and it is with fun in mind that i answer with the less than predictable offerings .......still worth a thoughtful dalliance none the less imo. I fully expect fair ridicule.....all fair in love and war as is said.
Its all good to look outside the square but i think you still need to be realistic , Hind , Parker and Mayo well thats taking it to a new level but then again they have just as much chance as some of the other muppets selected by some :rolleyes:

Elite means nothing other than you get more air time from pencil necks like Damian Barrett. Was Shane Edwards 'elite' before Richmond were good. Dylan Grimes? Dion Prestia? I could go on.

The point is i just want a good team. Wear the underdog status / lack of hype as a badge of honour.

I wouldn't rate any of them elite except Prestia who is close. His 2019 was outstanding.

Thanks but nah im just fine , you really need tom worry about yourself first , If you cant look at the poll and work out what i was talking about you have a serious problem ,
Anyway just put me on ignore if i annoy you that much

Last edited:
You've lost me....you just come across as belligerent and narrow minded ..i feel sorry for you!
If because i dont think Hind , Parker or Mayo will ever be elite yep im narrow minded , i must be then :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try the ignore then pal ,,, Bye
I may be missing something..i probably am but when I express my opinion on who I am impressed with as regards to their future and potential...I get the greatest joy from outsiders,dark horses even lost causes...I'm sure that's probably the same reason I follow the Saints. Perhaps what i feel is not so much Analysis as it is Opinion. However, when you say as you did, "if people were being serious with their votes thank christ you have nothing to do with the club." I just think that's a bit much that's all. So if you can get over it I can get over it..ok!:)

I may be missing something..i probably am but when I express my opinion on who I am impressed with as regards to their future and potential...I get the greatest joy from outsiders,dark horses even lost causes...I'm sure that's probably the same reason I follow the Saints. Perhaps what i feel is not so much Analysis as it is Opinion. However, when you say as you did, "if people were being serious with their votes thank christ you have nothing to do with the club." I just think that's a bit much that's all. So if you can get over it I can get over it..ok!
I actually like Mayo but i just think its a massive stretch to think he could become elite thats all , I may have been harsh but how can someone think Lonie , Sincs , Dmac , Paton, Langlands ect could become elite , most of them will struggle to even get a game this year IMO
Anyway , bring on 2021

I actually like Mayo but i just think its a massive stretch to think he could become elite thats all , I may have been harsh but how can someone think Lonie , Sincs , Dmac , Paton, Langlands ect could become elite , most of them will struggle to even get a game this year IMO
Anyway , bring on 2021
You are most probably, almost definitely right...but that's the magic I guess....when one of those outside chances, longshots or young fellas actually do step up when you've been flying their flag throughout it just brings you closer to them ..you feel a tiny part of the reason they made the leap. When its one of the Big Dog's or the guys most likely to succeed its not so special. That's the only motive behind my thinking i guess and that i do see what i believe to be the potential in the first place. Anyway Peace brother! and Go saints hey ! :D

You are most probably, almost definitely right...but that's the magic I guess....when one of those outside chances, longshots or young fellas actually do step up when you've been flying their flag throughout it just brings you closer to them ..you feel a tiny part of the reason they made the leap. When its one of the Big Dog's or the guys most likely to succeed its not so special. That's the only motive behind my thinking i guess and that i do see what i believe to be the potential in the first place. Anyway Peace brother! and Go saints hey ! :D
Yeah very true , God knows we need a few to really step up and help us up the Ladder , Long is one of the types that needs to step up or others will go past him

Someone was scoffing at Parker having the potential ...but again if the same leap can be made again ..i do believe he could shock many. "The West Australian burst onto the scene in the opening round of 2019, earning the admiration of the red, white and black through his forward pressure, aggression at the contest and exhilarating passages of play."

The thing I loved most of all about Parker, before he ran out of puff later in the season, was the way he would go after multiple players and manage to put pressure on them, even while the whole structure was falling apart around him. He broke up a number of opposition plays with that manic pressure. If he can get a chance to do that with a more settled structure (and more match-fitness) around him, he could be the guy who locks the loose ball inside forward 50 rather than having it bang out for an opposition goal 4 passes later, which has been our kryptonite in recent seasons.

EDIT: Not trying to suggest he will be "elite", but he has a certain X-Factor about him that we've sorely lacked, and his intensity/effort was refreshing in 2019

Last edited:
Solid leaderboard:

55+: Marshall (24yo, 33 games)
50+: Clark (21yo, 29), King (19yo, 0)
45+:
40+: Billings (24yo, 107), Gresham (22yo, 81)
35+: Battle (21yo, 26)
30+:
25+: Bytel (20yo, 0)
20+: Howard (24yo, 45)
15+:
10+: Coffield (20yo, 18), Steele (24yo, 78)
5+: Wilkie (24yo, 22)

Clearly all of those guys won't be elite (that's the best of the best) but that's a good form guide to our promising next gen.

After this year, hopefully their experience levels will be something like this:

100+ games: Billings, Gresham, Steele
50+ games: Howard, Marshall
50ish games: Battle, Clark
30+ games: Coffield, Wilkie
10+ games: Bytel, King

If that's the case then we should be really seeing what we can get from the first 7.

The thing I loved most of all about Parker, before he ran out of puff later in the season, was the way he would go after multiple players and manage to put pressure on them, even while the whole structure was falling apart around him. He broke up a number of opposition plays with that manic pressure. If he can get a chance to do that with a more settled structure (and more match-fitness) around him, he could be the guy who locks the loose ball inside forward 50 rather than having it bang out for an opposition goal 4 passes later, which has been our kryptonite in recent seasons.
The thing I like most about Matthew Parker, other than the fact that he's 190 cm tall, can run faster than most players on our list, can take a speccy, loves a goal, doesn't mind a bit of tough stuff and can actually kick accurately kick 50 metres on the run is that he actually looks like he's gonna do everything to make sure he gets the best out of himself.

I'm convinced he gonna be a long term fantastic player for the club.

Marshall could have an elite year in 2020, despite being at 201cm slightly short for a modern day ruckman.
His work after the tap is what makes him elite. He is a 201cm midfielder.

I am going to go out on a limb and say....

When this season is finished, people will be talking about the elite players 25 or under at stkilda and how we have a bright future ahead.

The thing I like most about Matthew Parker, other than the fact that he's 190 cm tall, can run faster than most players on our list, can take a speccy, loves a goal, doesn't mind a bit of tough stuff and can actually kick accurately kick 50 metres on the run is that he actually looks like he's gonna do everything to make sure he gets the best out of himself.

Yep - that sums it up nicely. Also there's the sheer joy of a man who thought his chance was gone, and suddenly had St Kilda hand it back to him - he plays like he means to repay that.

It's nice to talk about players who are "elite", but a lot of the lift has to come from players like MP, who will do their bit by dominating their space for a few minutes each a game, and giving the team a boost when it's needed most. Can't just strap the whole team to one player's back in this comp.

Consistency will be his biggest issue.

If he can become a player who is influential for just 5 minutes a quarter rather then the odd passage of play, he will be very special.

Back